Bill Evans/ Jim Hall

Thanks for this, oso. I had forgotten how good this one is. I picked up the CD about 25 years ago in a bargain bin for maybe $1.99, at the time knowing and loving Bill Evans but having no familiarity with Jim Hall. What a great introduction. I as a rule shy away from jazz without a traditional bass & drums rhythm section, but this is one of the exceptions to my rule. There actually are enough other exceptions that I think the exception might have swallowed the rule, but anyway ... this is a great album and thanks for encouraging me to give it another listen today.

Also and somewhat off topic, I love the iconic and eery original cover art on this album. Like Edward Gorey meets Weeki Wachi Springs.

888faee24dd112f9f7188dcf13f6d4fe.jpg

Billy Mintz: The 2 Bass Band ... Live

2-Bass-Band-Live-Cover.jpg

I checked this out on TIDAL based on a 4.5-star rating in the latest Downbeat. Very glad I did, as it's an exciting, entertaining, virtuosic and very nicely-recorded live set from a group I had not heard before. As a new Uptone Audio REGEN (amber) user, I will also point out that this kind of large-band jazz is what the REGEN just chews up and spits out with no sweat. If you want to hear a jazz ensemble with clarity from each player, even when they are all blowing hard, with no congestion or distortion, the REGEN sure helps; this recording is a good test for it. Great stuff!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19585[/ATTACH]

Christian McBride Trio / Out Here

Mack Avenue

Now being distributed by Blue Coast /Downloads Now in all formats, original recording is in 24.96

This is a very good jazz trio album. But what's even more impressive is the sound quality - it is beyond reproach. I bought the 24/96. Incredibly live and dynamic sounding. "They are in your room" is not an exaggeration here; the drum thwacks sound real and will make you jump. DR of 18 on some tracks, just sounds wonderful.

Thank you for this recommendation. Also sounding extremely good streaming on TIDAL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Casella: Paganiniana - Serenata - La Giara Symphonic Suite

MI0001006034.jpg

Here is a vibrant and compelling album of music by an Italian composer, a contemporary of Respighi,about whom I had not before heard a thing. My loss; this is great stuff. Found through Naxos's ClassicsOnlineHD streaming service in their sweetly curated "Hidden Treasures" section.

• 3 weeks later...

Barry Harris Plays Tadd Dameron

088470.jpg

This 1975 trio recording just got a retroactive award of five stars in the October issue of Downbeat, and I think it earns them all. A real joy to listen to, and the recording is also decent. Good imaging of the small group, nothing overworked in the engineering and production, which steps out of the way of the performance. And, it's on TIDAL. (That picture of an LP jacket is just a tease.)

• 2 weeks later...

The Jesus and Mary Chain: Psychocandy - Live at Barrowlands

barrowlands.jpg

My favorite rock band here in 2014 delivering a definitive and compelling live performance of its masterpiece album from 1985, Psychocandy. So good. I even like the occasional lapses of cool when they address and thank the audience; that most certainly was not part of the act in the mid-1980s. I just love the blending of Beach Boys harmony and art school feedback and noise that is the "trick" of this band. And as someone else once observed, the Jesus and Mary Chain might be a one-trick pony, but good Lord, what a trick it was.

Veracini:Complete Sonate Accademiche--Sonatas for Violin & Continuo Op. 2

Trio Settecento (Rachel Barton Pine, violin; John Mark Rozendaal, cello; David Schrader, harpsichord)

619IQ+BD1ML._SS280.jpg

Read David Vernier's review at Classics Today; he does a far better job than I could of convincing you that this is the album you ought to be listening to this evening (or three evenings; it is a 3-CD set).

I am listening to this streaming from Naxos's ClassicsOnline HD-LL at 24/96, and it sounds fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Penderecki: A Sea of Dreams Did Breathe on Me ...

Warsaw Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra

51UKv3rLpFL.jpg

A thrilling and enthralling performance just released by Naxos. Induces goosebumps. The soloists are hugely talented and affecting, especially the bass-baritone. Very well recorded, too. I listened to a streaming 16/44 recording on Naxos's ClassicsOnline HD-LL.

Sally Beamish: The Singing

Royal Scottish National Orchestra

National Youth Orchestra of Scotland

4947549-origpic-e7a612.jpg

Strangely enough, I recommend this recording for every piece but the titular "The Singing," which I found a bit boring, to be honest (although it gives some more honest work to classical accordionists). The rest of the recording is another story, including a new performance by Branford Marsalis in the Saxophone Concerto No. 2 , which is thoughtful and moving; and a really fun and bombastic Trumpet Concerto, which is exciting and enthralling. The latter piece is played by the National Youth Orchestra of Scotland, and they bring game. The recording quality is very high, too; what you expect from BIS. I listened to this on Naxos's ClassicsOnline HD-LL streaming at 16/44 resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

Almeida: Il trionfo d'amore

Voces Caelestes / Os Musicos do Tejo

Marcos Magalhães

81O4GXuBsEL._SL1429_.jpg

Really involving performance of a piece I never heard of. It's advertised as a World Premiere Recording, so I guess that's to be expected. The singers totally kick ass. Just when I think the bass is the best thing ever, the soprano comes in and blows the top off. Just when I think I could live forever in thrall to this soprano, the tenor comes in like the devil himself. They all act well with their voices, too. Very fine recording, excellent balance of voices and instruments. The timbre and soundstaging and sense of listening in a real space are especially good listening in 24/48 streaming on ClassicsOnline HD-LL.

• 2 weeks later...

Bliss: Morning Heroes and Hymn to Apollo

BBC Symphony Orchestra

MI0003933132.jpg

I was gobsmacked by the piece "Morning Heroes" when it turned up in the new recordings category on ClassicsOnline HD-LL. Never knew it existed. It is a real masterpiece. The recording and performance are also remarkable. I don't think I've heard a better recorded choir with orchestra. I listened to this streaming at 24/96 two times, then bought it as a download. Sounds better from my local hard drive, I think, but more important, I only now purchase music I feel I want to listen to many, many times into the future, and this recording hurdled that bar for me.

Watercolor

Shen Lu, piano

promoted-media-optimized_55c4d886c4168.jpg

This is hands down the best-sounding recording of a piano I have ever heard. It is startlingly good - as in, you will occasionally be startled to find there is not actually a piano in the room with you. The performance and repertoire may or may not excite you, but do give this a listen for the extraordinary quality of the recorded piano sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Bach: Goldberg Variations

Lori Sims

MI0003955354.jpg

Not the very best recorded performance, but the very best LIVE recorded performance you are likely going to find. Does the world need another recording of the Goldbergs? Maybe not, but I like this one a lot, and I like hearing new attempts that keep classical music a viable, living art form, such as this one. And in of all places Kalamazoo, a little city with a lot going on. I listened streaming at 24/44 from ClassicsOnline HD*LL.

Transient Glory III

Young People's Choir of New York City

ca21113_ypc_tgiii_front.jpg

This is just great stuff, regardless of the ages of the performers. Gutsy, intellectual, emotionally satisfying, challenging works. The artists are underserved by a recording quality that is kind of crappy, with narrow and shallow soundstage and an annoyingly bright and hashy sound, but the performances are excellent. i listened to this streaming at 16/44 on ClassicsOnline HD*LL.

Bacri: Symphony No. 4 and Flute Concerto

BIS-CD-1579.gif

Chosen primarily because of the Flute Concerto and Sharon Bezaly's performance. Bezaly is my favorite flutist performing today. Basically, she plays with a personal style and also technical perfection, which for the flute more or less means she never fucks anything up. I say this as one who was married to a professional classical flutist for ten years and therefore is painfully aware of all the ways flute performance can be fucked up. YMMV. =^)

• 5 weeks later...

New Year's Concert 2016

Vienna Philharmonic

Mariss Jansons, conducting

91EhuK+YFBL._SL1500_.jpg

I admit I am something of a sucker for these Vienna New Year's concerts, but this one was something out of the ordinary. I watched the televised event with Julie Andrews narrating, and that was also way beyond what those things usually have been. But even left with just the music, this was a really great concert. Same conductor as the Shostakovich 8 linked to immediately above, and he really threw himself into this repertoire with an obvious love and enthusiasm (as you can see if you watch the video of the concert). And it sounds very good streaming at 24/96 on ClassicsOnline HD*LL

SQ wise, would you rate it "over" the Mariss Jansons' of 2012?

I cannot say. My only access to the 2012 performance is streaming at 16/44 on TIDAL. It sounds pretty good, but I won't compare apples to oranges. Both are highly enjoyable performances of this niche repertoire. I do kind of think the conductor was more enthusiastic in the 2016 set than the 2012, but in this polite sort of music, we are talking here of very minor degrees of difference. I think there will never be a "bad" performance of these Viennese classics by the Vienna Philharmonic, so long as they continue playing and recording the repertoire.