11 hours ago, Musicophile said:

FYI. Bruno Walter is a conducting legend. A former assistant of Gustav Mahler, he was forced to leave Germany due to his Jewish heritage. Pretty much all of his Columbia Symphony recordings of Beethoven, Brahms, and obviously Mahler are worth checking out. 

Thank you for the education on Mr. Walter. I will look further into things. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Listened to the new Melody Gardot myself, thanks for letting me know. Why do people sing Moon River? Am I the only person that doesn't think it's worth singing and an awful song?

You may at least be one of the few that feel that way, and, hey, nothing works for everyone. But Moon River is generally considered an American standard. And again, it depends on who is singing it. The song itself isn't responsible for bad performances. I too like the Melody Gardot version.

But did Lawrence Welk EVER perform a good version of ANYTHING? My grandparents, who I used to be with a fair bit of the time just loved that show when I was a little kid. God I hated it! How did he ever make it onto tv? 

JC

36 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not if you consider that some people listen to horrible awful music simply because its well recorded...

Beyond the "horrible awful" stuff, there is a long history of even more people listening to really well recorded music that is mediocre, or of a style they would never listen to otherwise. It allows them to feel better about all the money they spent putting together the system.

There are some labels that exist because their music is so well recorded, but features artists no one has ever heard of, playing music no one ever needs to hear. 

JC

26 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Continuing the theme with The Hot Sardines, Live At Joes Pub. This album has a great sense of the space it was recorded in, Joes Pub. 16/44 download from CD Baby, or Bandcamp I think.

hotsardines.png

I meant to check out this group, after one of your prior recommendations. I somehow did not quite recall the name correctly, and ended up accidentally listening to Hot Tuna, the Jorma Kaukonen group. Too many heated seafood groups out there! 

JC

11 hours ago, Jud said:

Some of the songs are older, some are new, so that may account for part of the difference in recording quality/technology.

Jud,

While you are absolutely correct about some of the songs being older, there is no difference in recording. Bruce recorded the entire album, with the E Street Band, live, over a three day period. Other than a very rare overdub, nothing was changed from the actual live recordings. And, to me, the energy of this album captures some of Bruce's older, live performances vibe. I love the record! 

JC

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Listening to a friends needle drop tonight! Love Over Gold, Dire Straits.

Screenshot_20201228_190316.png

One can never go wrong with anything the brilliant Mark Knopfler is musically involved in. Well, okay, maybe his one failed solo album, Shangri La. There are, at best, two cuts that even belong in his catalog on that album, and one is about his shoes! The only album in his entire musical career that I never need to hear again.

JC 

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

These two go out to @AudioDoctor and @TubeLover

One Take Radio Sessions is an even better version of many Shangri-La tracks. 

P.S. Quality Shoe is on The Ragpicker’s Dream. 

00CE57F4-2853-4534-BB72-B59B7BD722F7.png

B61D6ED1-4873-4400-8524-B2E5320C7FB8.png

Absolutely correct, as always, Chris. Quality Shoe is indeed on Ragpickers Dream. Mr. Knopfler's only other solo album that disappointed me in terms of content. Thanks for straightening that out Chris. Every other one is a favorite recording. Besides being a great piece of music, I also I especially enjoyed the sound of Tracker, from 2015,which was recorded entirely with analog gear. 

JC

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jud said:

Fond memory of seeing John Abercrombie and Ralph Towner play in a small theater in Oklahoma many years ago - great concert, my friend knew the promoter so I got to go backstage afterward. A fan was waxing ecstatic at something Abercrombie had been able to play. Abercrombie told him what he heard had been an effects pedal. He said "If I could play that *without* the pedal, I'd be a motherfucker!", and cracked up laughing. 🙂

Great story Jud! 

JC

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Great ECM albums from second half of 70s. Mostly solo recording from Terje Rypdal. Jack DeJohnette’s Special Edition project has attracted a great deal of attention in the late 70s jazz world. Old and New Dreams group was a nostalgic attempt to reincarnate the influental avant-garde quartet of the late 50s / early 60s with Dewey Redman instead of Ornette Coleman.

5081448_Screenshot2021-01-25at18_40_06.thumb.png.401fc4eadb2e7d7ecbc5566b0a47c0ca.png

1601115815_Screenshot2021-01-25at18_42_13.thumb.png.fb24d3c45bf5975ca15b5ae5e23a7c6e.png

1605350028_Screenshot2021-01-25at18_44_09.thumb.png.91851815dbfaa98726741556b5d1a53e.png

The Terje Rypdal recording of After The Rain is a longtime favorite of mine. Lovely music, and really well performed.

JC

• 2 weeks later...