[ATTACH=CONFIG]18441[/ATTACH]

questioned answer, XLD conversion redbook CD 44.1/16 to AIFF. Emmet Cohn, Brian Lynch, Boris Koslov, Billy Hart. Beautifully recorded. AS3.0.3 with iRC beautifully rendered. Exquisite technique and musicality. Highly recommended.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Richard, thanks for the suggestion; enjoying this right now as it brightens a grey and foggy Chicago Saturday afternoon. BTW, I'm streaming it on TIDAL HiFi, but even without the benefit of Amarra Symphony and iRC, the SQ is excellent.

Cava Menzies and Nick Phillips, Moment to Moment, Blue Coast Records DL, DSF64, superb quality production, artistry is exquisite. Playing through HQP 3.7.1 at DSD64, though I could upsample to 128. Just enjoying as recorded. Highly recommended.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18488[/ATTACH]

Richard, thanks for another great recommendation. Perfect for a weekend evening. Listening again through TIDAL HiFi, so SQ may not match up with what you are enjoying, but it is really quite OK.

Marenzio: Quinto Libro di Madrigali a sei voci

La Compagnia del Madrigale

615Kk5fx8gL._SS280.jpg

Beautiful and complex vocal music with which I was unfamiliar before now. Available on Naxos Classics Online HD in both 16/44 and 24/44 versions. Both versions sound good, although the soundstage in both is a bit narrow/shallow for my taste in vocal music. That said, that narrow staging arguably is accurate for madrigal singing, and the level of detail in the recording is great, with complex interactions of the six voices all clear and easy to follow.

FROTTOLE - Popular Songs of Renaissance Italy (Ring Around Quartet and Consort)

MI0003856215.jpg

In line with the Italian madrigals I posted as yesterday's Album of the Evening. According to Wikipedia,

"The
frottola
(plural
frottole
) was the predominant type of Italian popular, secular song of the late fifteenth and early sixteenth century. It was the most important and widespread predecessor to the madrigal."

I cannot believe it has been 30 years since I first discovered The Jesus and Mary Chain on the radio at WCWM (College of William and Mary) in the fall of 1985. And then was able to purchase an English import of Psychocandy from the little record store in downtown Williamsburg, VA. And everything changed. I truly believe this is the best rock & roll record ever made:

The Jesus and Mary Chain: Psycho Candy

91xJPzgu-ZL._SL1417_.jpg

MI0003856215.jpg

Night And The City, Kenny Barron and Charlie Haden, XLD conversion redbook CD 44.1/16 to AIFF. Highly recommended just like the last time.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18555[/ATTACH]

Richard, your love for piano-driven live jazz in a club setting is both well documented and well received, especially when it results in recommendations like this one. Beautiful music played beautifully in an intimate and "live" setting. What more could one seek from a jazz afternoon or evening? Thank you.

i believe it was recorded by "ECM", and someone else mentioned that most "ALL OF ECM" recordings are great, and i agree. I downloaded a dozen different artists by ECM and was ecstatic at the quality of all of them.

All the more reason to be upset that TIDAL HiFi apparently has yet to enter into a contract for streaming of ECM recordings. Much as I like TIDAL HiFi and continue to be their customer for now the 7th month, ECM is a big, gaping missing tooth.

Christopher Rouse, Flute Concerto

Royal Stockholm Symphony Orchestra

Sharon Bezaly, flute

61SITFxIEUL (1).jpg

Rouse's concerto for flute is one of my favorite pieces for that instrument, bar none. I say this as an ex-husband of a professional classical flutist, so I do know of which I speak. I love and respect Carol Wincenc's performance of this piece with the Houston Symphony, and I don't think this performance by Bezaly negates what Carol accomplished there. I also have a personal memory of hanging about the practice space at the 1997 American Flute Society convention in Chicago in which Carol was the soloist with a pickup orchestra of leading Chicago musicians (my former wife on flute being one of them). That particular experience of this piece, as I walked up and down the aisles placing programs on chairs while the orchestra and Ms. Wincenc rehearsed this piece, I cannot hope ever to reproduce. But it did make me familiar with the piece and made me love it. Bezaly's performance here solidifies that and makes clear to me that I am not just romanticizing a particular event I experienced in 1997.

Guys, you got me. I have too little Gesualdo (isn't this the guy who killed his wife after she cheated and got away with it?), so far only 3 albums, but at least one of them is playing now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18752[/ATTACH]

Thanks for this; excellent music and almost surreal performance talents on display. Every last one of these singers has insanely good articulation. The recording also helps with that; a very nice balance of room and performers.

Also, for the record, listened to this streaming on ClassicsOnline HD (Naxos).

The City of Tomorrow Quintet: Nature

81YLmjl8RQL._SL1500_.jpg

Woodwind ensemble music is an acquired taste; this however is some good stuff. Moreover, I am extremely interested to hear how my Uptone Audio Regen (on order) might affect this music; it seems like exactly the sort of hashed up sound that the Regen is known to fix up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18815[/ATTACH]

Beethoven: Clarinet Trio op 11; Brahms: Clarinet Trio op 114; Weber: Grand Duo for piano and clarinet op 48.

Gorgeous, intimate pieces, beautifully played by Jon Manasse (clarinet), Jon Nakamatsu (piano), and Clive Greensmith (cello). Excellent sound from a harmonia mundi/Qobuz 24/88 download.

This same recording (at 24/88) is also available streaming and for download at ClassicsOnline HD (the new and improved Naxos site). I mention this because Qobuz is not readily available in the U.S. while Naxos's site most definitely is.

Also, thanks for this; I agree with all you say above.

Stacey Kent: The Changing Lights (24/44)

Changing_Lights_zpsmj3g2wac.jpg

Really nice album! Sounding wonderful with Bug Head Infinity Blade SQ/JPLAY6/Audiophile Optimizer 1.31b11/Fidelizer Pro 6.7/Process Lasoo

I agree! As a big Blossom Dearie fan, I am pleased as punch that her influence is heard here. I also love Kazuo Ishiguro, and I was amazed and delighted that he wrote the lyrics to one of these songs. Thank you.

Polonica

Michal Gondko, Renaissance Lute

1430211989_front.jpg

Polish lute music! A genre I only today learned exists, and here I sit in my home on the northwest side of Chicago. Not that they are playing this in the Polish night clubs, but still. And it's worth a listen regardless of where you live.

I listened to this streaming at Naxos's ClassicsOnline HD at 88/24.

The Art Ensemble of Chicago

Americans Swinging in Paris

famericans_8efc6406453eb9154da8cd.jpg

Here's a perennial favorite of mine for the seamless blend of total funky ass funk and virtuosic jazz performance combined with art music hovering there in the background throughout. This is a real statement piece by a group that is known for making statements; this one dates from 1970.

Also, I want to note that my Uptone Audio Regen Amber really enhances the sound of this recording. It's one I've listened to at least 100 times, so I know of which I speak. Improves the percussion, bass, and ensemble sound - i.e., the dense sections where the whole band is blowing, instead of a big sonic mush, I am hearing individual voices in the mix (but also hearing the mix).

Here is one I stumbled across this evening while browsing through the updates on Naxos's ClassicsHD:

MI0003860337.jpg

An unexpected combination of solo instruments, played with virtuosity, in music that is captivating but not super challenging listening. Fun music that is just deep enough to keep the intellect engaged along with the emotions. So, I offer this in the spirit of musical exploration this thread seems to invite!

http://www.classicsonlinehd.com/

Hey, I like this! Kind of reminds me of a lot of music I used to listen to as a young man - Pretenders, some LA punk, some New York punk. Also maybe a little bit of my perennial fave The Gits; she sounds a bit like Mia Zapata with an Australian accent and similar presentation. A very nice recommendation; thanks!

Edit to add I see she is performing just up the road from me in Milwaukee tomorrow night (6/19). Too bad I will be in Windsor, OT that night, it would be fun to jump in and get tickets to hear her tomorrow after just learning she exists right here!

I am listening to Steve Davis' Say When Pro Studio Master AIFF 48/24. The production quality is exquisite. Highly recommended. My intention is to listen to my system "as is" before installing an UpTone Audio Regen Amber. Next will be Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1.

Sharing great music. Who knew? Purchased the Davis album on intuition. Good move on my part (smile).

Enjoy the music,

Richard

PS

Observe who's playing what on this gem. Not ready to Say When for a while.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19321[/ATTACH]

Thanks for this excellent recommendation; just my cup of tea and I would imagine the same for many who might give it a whirl. BTW, I'm listening on TIDAL HiFi at standard CD resolution, and the recording sounds very good.

Leon Bridges: Coming Home

d46c81_17d3f9b1caa94eb9a9384b40e69927fc.jpg

Just released and streaming on TIDAL. Everything good you have heard about Leon Bridges is true. A stunning achievement. I used to be jealous of those a couple of decades older than me who got the chance to live through the development and popular success of music like this (read: Sam Cooke) as just a part of popular music. Sure, it's a nostalgia act in one sense (the instrumentation, the arrangements, the singing style, even the engineering of the recording sound like they are a lost master tape from 1962 discovered in a dusty storeroom). But in the sense that matters, it is totally alive and contemporary. Try it out; I predict you will approve.