16 hours ago, firedog said:

Somehow got into a run of listening to 50 year old stuff.

I remember the first time I saw "Imagine" in a record store. I really wanted it, but didn't have the $4.99 (about $31 today) in my pocket needed to buy it.

Today I have about 10 different versions. Life can be good sometimes. 

folder.jpg

I was right with you in not being able to afford it when it was released. And I own 8 different versions now, including the latest box set. Life can indeed be good, but what you pay for that is never easy.

JC

On 5/15/2020 at 6:21 PM, ray-dude said:

image.thumb.png.dd08b860a874f51a1b3d19650f697853.png

Purchased this new favorite today as part of the Chesky "May Sale".  Heartbreakingly lovely...so beautiful!

I've wanted to listen to this for years, but it's not available in any way except from Chesky. No streaming service offers it for a chance to preview it.I should just buy it, given the quality of her voice, and my fondness for the material on it. Did you purchase it in 96/24? And, how do I access the May sale? I'm not seeing anything on their web page.

JC 

20 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Indeed!  It won a Grammy for Best Engineered, but you better be careful which issue... it’s known that a couple were not mastered or transferred to CD correctly and sound really bright.  

Thanks, having four or five different versions, including two different SACD's, I'm aware. I'm actually hoping, and have recommended, that JoshM make this album the subject of the next episode of his superb "Best Version Of" series.

JC

9 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

My favorite is the Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition [DSD] 😎

Good to know. I acquired that version a while back, and am very eager to hear it. However, my SACD player died on me, and I haven't dropped the significant money necessary to replace it yet. :(

JC

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

The cover doesn’t really tell you this is a baroque music album does it! The full name of the album is more of a clue: LONDON CALLING – A Collection of Ayres, Fantasies and musical Humours.

New (to me) music, and quite enjoyable.

F0DF49CB-972C-4290-B0AE-389533F1CF72.jpeg

No question that is absolutely the strangest cover I've ever seen for an album of baroque music! 

JC

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Love this album. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 7.43.51 AM.png

Chris, I am a huge Cat Stevens fan. I have no less than six CD/SACD/Hi Rez versions of Tea For The Tillerman, which I would place in my ten favorite albums.  My first year in college saw his music being played in almost every dorm room. As a footnote, every dorm room was either playing Cat Stevens, James Taylor, or Led Zeppelin, to be entirely truthful. This is the only album he ever made that I have not listened to because of unfailingly terrible reviews by people who loved his music.Should I be listening to it? 

JC