This evening, an aural trip to Spain.

John Williams playing Rodrigo & Albeniz.

Manuel Barrueco - Tarrega.

Two additional suggestions in that vein:

Pepe Romero's 1995 collection called "Noches de España". (Used copies are dirt cheap.)

Amazon.com: Noches De Espana (Romantic Guitar Classics): Music

Albeniz "Iberia" by Nicholas Unwin on Chandos (1999):

Albéniz: Iberia

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Glad you found these of interest. I think both are'excelente'. I've gotten so many good music tips from this thread. Happy to beable to do some payback.

Larry

If I may recommend Julian Bream'sRodrigo as preferreddespite the talented John Williams'. Merely a subjective opinion. But a goodone ;>}

Best, Richard

Two additional suggestions inthat vein:

Pepe Romero's 1995 collection called "Noches de España". (Usedcopiesare dirt cheap.)

FWIW I have the opposite preference. I've never found arecording of the Brahms 2nd as beautiful and sophisticated as Serkin-Szell. Onthe other hand, I do consider Fleisher-Szell my favorite in the 1st.

As far as I know, the only good CD transfer of Serkin-Szell Brahms 2nd is this onein the "Art Of Interpretation" series, which is almost impossible tofind:

Art Of Interpretation -brahms: Piano Concerto No 2 / Serkin|ArkivMusic

From Jazz to Classical, Reggae to Ragas…..

This fellowship of souls, all touched by divine notes, continuously provides a source of joy & knowledge. Revelations of more beauty than one could ever hope for are commonplace, as are differing viewpoints of inspiration, all of them made valid & worthy simply by the intrinsic value held by their very existence.

What a wonderful & precious place this is…… it makes my heart happy with each & every visit…….

Thank you, one & all.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

From Jazz to Classical, Reggae to Ragas…..

This fellowship of souls, all touched by divine notes, continuously provides a source of joy & knowledge. Revelations of more beauty than one could ever hope for are commonplace, as are differing viewpoints of inspiration, all of them made valid & worthy simply by the intrinsic value held by their very existence.

What a wonderful & precious place this is…… it makes my heart happy with each & every visit…….

Thank you, one & all.

Poetic, Bill!

Merci beaucoup. The sentiment is returned.

Enjoy the music and the affections we share,

Richard

FWIW I have the opposite preference. I've never found a recording of the Brahms 2nd as beautiful and sophisticated as Serkin-Szell. On the other hand, I do consider Fleisher-Szell my favorite in the 1st.

As far as I know, the only good CD transfer of Serkin-Szell Brahms 2nd is this one in the "Art Of Interpretation" series, which is almost impossible to find:

Art Of Interpretation -brahms: Piano Concerto No 2 / Serkin | ArkivMusic

FTI, Qobuz offers this remastering as download.

(As an aside, Leon Fleisher's recording of Brahms's 1st with Szell may be my favourite of all piano concerto discs, but note the live performance in Tanglewood - available as part of the 10-disc Monteux box set from West Hill Radio Archives - adds that extra frisson of being caught on the wing.)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Charles Lloyd: Of Course, Of Course XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Produced by George Avakian; Recording engineer: Stan Tonkel; Recorded at Columbia Studio A, New York City on May 8, 1964.Reissued produced by Michael Cuscuna and Bob Belden. Remixed in 24-bit from the original four-track tapes and mastered by Mark Wilder, Sony Studios.

Charles Lloyd Of Course Of Course.jpg

Sarah Vaughan: The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions Disc 7 of 8 Discs. Mosaic Records. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Doesn't get any better.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Sarah Vaughan The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions .jpg

Two additional suggestions in that vein:

Pepe Romero's 1995 collection called "Noches de España". (Used copies are dirt cheap.)

To complement:

Alicia de Larrocha - Musica Espanola 2, with Albeniz and de Falla

51fdEcALPTL.jpg

I was first thinking of Sketches of Spain as a follow-up, but nicely enough the Itunes search function also spat out this little gem when typing in aranjuez. I just love Computer Audio.

Philippe Catherine - Spanish Nights

spanish_nights.jpg

Both highly recommended.

Last night:

King Crimson, Lark's Tongues in Aspic (24/96 DVD A rip) and,

Joshua Redman, Back East

This morning:

Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden, Jasmine

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Charlie Haden: Sophisticated Ladies HDtracks DL 96/24 AIFF. Revisited. Decided to stay awhile. Gorgeous voices, arrangements, musicality. Very Hadenesque. Highly recommended, if one is inclined. Featuring Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Ruth Cameron, Melody Gardot, Renée Fleming and Diana Krall.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

image.jpg

Charlie Haden: Sophisticated Ladies HDtracks DL 96/24 AIFF. Revisited. Decided to stay awhile. Gorgeous voices, arrangements, musicality. Very Hadenesque. Highly recommended, if one is inclined. Featuring Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Ruth Cameron, Melody Gardot, Renée Fleming and Diana Krall.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6069[/ATTACH]

I just love the track with Diana Krall.

Back to topic:

Daft Punk: Random Access Memories (24/88)

4e6c6fb22.jpg

In spite of the discussion on compression in the separate thread, I find this recording to be very enjoyable.

Followed by:

Freddie Hubbard: Red Clay (redbook).

hubbard.jpg

Musicophile: I'd be hard pressed to stop with Diana Krall, though I have an inkling about what you mean :>}

Freddie Hubbard: Ready For Freddie HDtracks DL 192/24 AIFF. Hubbard's trumpet and the gang standing him with him makes me ready for Freddie.

Freddie Hubbard Ready For Freddie.jpg

Horace Silver: Blowin' The Blues Away HDtracks DL 192/24 AIFF. Horace Silver at his best, which is always even if you should disagree. He had help from these musicians: Horace Silver - piano Blue Mitchell - trumpet Junior Cook - tenor saxophone Eugene Taylor - bass Louis Hayes - drums.

BTW: The above and several other are offered at 10% off at HDtracks until the June 24th.

Enjoying the discount and the music,

Richard

Horace Silver Blowin' The Blues Away.jpg

....... I have a tag issue to work out...............
sorry, but I do not see the problem........three consecutive plays for that selection would seem about perfect to me....?

Bill

Listening to a new rip tonight, I have a tag issue to work out but for now I am enjoying the music.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6076[/ATTACH]

In the spirit of commaraderie, can any of us help you with the tag issue?

Paul Motian: Paul Motian 6 Disc Box Set. Disc 1. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Motian in motion. Great cast of talented musicians and his music. Highly recommended.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

image.jpg

sorry, but I do not see the problem........three consecutive plays for that selection would seem about perfect to me....?

It is not a huge problem, I just did not feel like tackling it last night. I used XLD to rip the CD and I am ok with discs 1,2 and 3 being separate, but the album title is different on each and they are in reverse order in iTunes.

No electron left behind.

Luddite that I am, dealing with metadata, cover art, file management & such are things I like least about CA. But to dance, one must always pay the piper, regardless of the title requested.

Bill

Luddite that I am, dealing with metadata, cover art, file management & such are things I like least about CA. But to dance, one must always pay the piper, regardless of the title requested.

You and me both. I understand it is part of the game, just like playing records brings its own set of hassles, CA has a different set, but hassles they are.

No electron left behind.

To continue OT for a bit: tagging is annoying while you do it, but once it's done well it is just so extremely powerful. I just love the fact that at one click I can pull up all my dozens of Beethoven 5 or any cover version of My Funny Valentine. So I feel it is time well invested.

Back to topic: listening to this on a train:

Donizetti: Anna Bolena, the Borynge recording with la Sutherland.

To continue OT for a bit: tagging is annoying while you do it, but once it's done well it is just so extremely powerful. I just love the fact that at one click I can pull up all my dozens of Beethoven 5 or any cover version of My Funny Valentine. So I feel it is time well invested.

Back to topic: listening to this on a train:

Donizetti: Anna Bolena, the Borynge recording with la Sutherland.

Also a very good point. Currently listening to MPR... ;)

No electron left behind.

tagging is annoying while you do it, but once it's done well it is just so extremely powerful....

Also a very good point..

Agreed, as with most things, the work invested on the front-end will pay off multiples in the end.

Bill

Rush-%20Moving%20Pictures-%20Large-%202011%20Anthem%20Remaster_zpsfd64fc7b.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC