Paul Hanson: Voodoo Suite Blue Coast Records DL 44.1/16 wav. Max conversion to AIFF. Jazz bassoon. I enjoy jazz played by musicians with instruments not often used for jazz. This DL is very enjoyable and well recorded. Cover art is included.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

image.jpg

New one from Natalia Clavier - She does a lot of vocals for ESL recordings

71I4z7BPpeL._SL1500_.jpg

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Brahms' Second Piano Concerto by L. Fleisher, G. Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. First listen, and it goes straight to the top and becomes my preferred version, displacing Serkin-Szell. I can't comment on the sound quality as, when the music and playing are that good, I don't care about sonics, but the sound quality felt very good to me - but it might have been because the music was so great that I felt by association that the sound quality was very good as well.

619mNk7FpJL._SY300_.jpg

Brahms' Second Piano Concerto by L. Fleisher, G. Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. First listen, and it goes straight to the top and becomes my preferred version, displacing Serkin-Szell. I can't comment on the sound quality as, when the music and playing are that good, I don't care about sonics, but the sound quality felt very good to me - but it might have been because the music was so great that I felt by association that the sound quality was very good as well.

619mNk7FpJL._SY300_.jpg

Need to check this out. My current favorites are Serkin/Reiner, Gilels/Rainer and Freire/Chailly.

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware of the Freire/Chailly version - another item joins my list of future purchases.

I currently own two dozen (or more) recordings of Brahms's 2nd Piano Concerto, and Fleisher's would be my proverbial desert island choice. If you don't mind mono recordings (and not a great one at that - sonically), Solomon's from 1947 interpretatively ranks second on my favourite's list (followed by Richter-Haaser, Mrazek, Rubinstein live in Zürich, Moravec, Anda etc. & etc. - needless to point out, the list includes all the afore-mentioned, the Gilels being the first I heard as a child).

As an aside, I'm currently listening through Fleisher's Complete Album Collection, comparing the remasterings therein to prior issues - the Brahms concerti still sound best in the 1997 20-bit SBM remaster, also included in the box set you pictured.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware of the Freire/Chailly version - another item joins my list of future purchases.

It's a very well recorded 2006 album, and the only contemporary recording of No.2 I really like. You get it coupled with No. 1, which is quite nice as well, but it is on No. 2 where they really shine in my opinion.

Classicstoday has a nice review, that I fully confirm, and it is also Gramophone's first recommendation for the Brahms concertos.:

BOYBrahms: Piano Concertos/Freire/Chailly - Classics TodayClassics Today

P.S. listening to Fleisher now :-)

P.P.S: I totally disagree with Classicstoday on Zimerman/Rattle for No.1.

And sorry to everybody else for taking this thread hostage.

Svarte Greiner - Man Bird Dress

SvarteGreiner-ManBirdDress_zps877c8c8b.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Dvořák: String Quartet No.12 ("American") / Smetana: String Quartet No.1. 24/88.2 download from eClassical.

4750518-origpic-fa8a68.png

Noticed by LBob on eClassical (thanks LBob). This has instantly shot to my favourite ever interpretation of Dvorak's American quartet. America sure had a way of bringing out the best in Dvorak. I wasn't familiar with the Smetana quartet before, but a very pleasant surprise.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Majical Cloudz - Impersonator

MajicalCloudz-Impersonator_zps7d7ccff4.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Following in the keys of Melvin:

Art Lande's Kiss In A Shadow Blue Coast Records DSD DSF 2.88MHz. Free to me as I purchased a DSD DSF during the buy one get one free of equal or lesser value. Very entertaining renditions of songs I have always loved to listen to played by a highly talented musician. Highly recommended.

Art Lande kiss-in-a-shadow-cover.jpg

One of my own:

Zakir Hussain & Krishna Bhatt: Kirwani Essence Blue Coast Records/Downloadsnow.net 44.1/16 wav Max conversion to AIFF. Another free DL for a prior purchase. Indian Classical Ragas by masters on the Tabla and Sitar. My cup of tea if not yours. Highly contemplative meditatively speaking. ;>}

Enjoying the music in the Astral Realm,

Richard

Zakir Hussain & Krishna Bhatt Kirwani Essence.jpg

R&B, Soul/Motown throwback

Available on bandcamp & some free downloads from their first album

Find My Way Home | The Transatlantics

a3214303910_10.jpg

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots

you betcha!

Ruckus & in your face rhythm section on a slightly more melodious structure gets everyone in the groove.

Spinning pure 180 gram vinyl & having a too much fun….

41Yc8fhA4FL.jpg

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Bill Evans Trio – How my Heart Sings!

Precious…every note

A stereo re-release, 180 gram Riverside black pie…. from the ‘To Be Digitized’ list…… getting my cardio tonight…

51P1OivDTtL._SX300_.jpg

Bill

This evening, an aural trip to Spain.

John Williams playing Rodrigo & Albeniz.

Manuel Barrueco - Tarrega.

As a Latin lover……..

err…ahhh…….should I say lover of Latin……

…appreciate the works you bring to my attention……

I will add them to my list of future purchases.

Bill

As a Latin lover……..

Bill,

Glad you found these of interest. I think both are 'excelente'. I've gotten so many good music tips from this thread. Happy to be able to do some payback.

Larry

Bill,

Glad you found these of interest. I think both are 'excelente'. I've gotten so many good music tips from this thread. Happy to be able to do some payback.

Larry

As a Latin lover……..

If I may recommend Julian Bream's Rodrigo as preferred despite the talented John Williams'. Merely a subjective opinion. But a good one ;>}

Best,

Richard

Dear Musicophile and David,

Many thanks for your advice. I have at least two versions of Brahms' second piano concerto to which I'll soon be listening - this is nice.

Back on topic:

Suzuki Bach Cantatas Vol. 7, 16/44 download from eClassical

41E49Q0PEML.jpg

Bill Evans, Portrait in Jazz, SACD

tumblr_m6vgunGQHi1qat741o1_500.jpg

Brahms' Second Piano Concerto by L. Fleisher, G. Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. First listen, and it goes straight to the top and becomes my preferred version, displacing Serkin-Szell.

FWIW I have the opposite preference. I've never found a recording of the Brahms 2nd as beautiful and sophisticated as Serkin-Szell. On the other hand, I do consider Fleisher-Szell my favorite in the 1st.

As far as I know, the only good CD transfer of Serkin-Szell Brahms 2nd is this one in the "Art Of Interpretation" series, which is almost impossible to find:

Art Of Interpretation -brahms: Piano Concerto No 2 / Serkin | ArkivMusic

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7