Edgard Varese "Arcana", "Integrales" & "Ionisation", Los Angeles Philharmonic, Zubin Metha.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5450[/ATTACH]

Maybe he inspired Jean-Michel Jarre...?

Roch

He certainly inspired Frank Zappa. Zappa had history with Mehta and the Philharmonic as well. During rehearsal for a performance with the orchestra, Zappa cued Mehta for the Philharmonic's entrance with the words "Hit it, Zubin!"

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Happy May Day

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5436[/ATTACH]

May Day sentiments aside, IMO, this is by far Bragg's worst musical effort.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

One of the saddest trumpets i ever listen to GREAT ALBUM and also great movie

Miles Davis

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud

A very underrated album, IMHO.

Recorded a year before KOB with much the same mood but without the dream team behind him.

KK

Tingvall Trio In Concert. 24/96K HiRes Goodness.

I wish all their Discs were made from their concerts.... W.O.W. I rank this up there with the must haves.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5449[/ATTACH]

Also interested in the source. ?

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

Nine Inch Nails: Broken - Still may be my favorite NIN album.

cover.jpg

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Brand new album from Beacon, "The Ways We Separate"

This is a stellar release with excellent sonics. For those wanting to "dip the toe" in the electronic music scene, this album would a terrific point of entry. More of a mellow, romantic, dreamy, synth pop feel to it. This is the perfect late night music experience.

Beaconthewaysweseparate_zps9992f1f0.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Brand new album from Beacon, "The Ways We Separate"

This is a stellar release with excellent sonics. For those wanting to "dip the toe" in the electronic music scene, this album would a terrific point of entry. More of a mellow, romantic, dreamy, synth pop feel to it. This is the perfect late night music experience.

Beaconthewaysweseparate_zps9992f1f0.jpg

Just listening to it. Nice recommendation!

@musicophile: Happy to return the favor. I have about 5-6 albums I have purchased based upon your recommendations. I listened to The Helge Lien Trio - Hello Troll, over the weekend (purchased this album, as well as Natsukashii based on your recommendation).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Schnittke's string quartets. I bought this 16/44 download from eClassical on Robert von Bahr's recommendation and daily offer. The music is just very involving.(...) The recording quality is exceedingly good: recordings of this calibre prove how realistic well done 16/44 files can sound.

Schnittke+String+Quartets+Nos+13.jpg

Ever since I first listened to this recording, I have been convinced it is one of the best recorded string quartets in my record collection. I just realised that I never listened to it in 16/44 quality but only in 320kbps quality. When I downloaded from BIS, I forgot to uncheck the default preference in eClassical's download manager, which is MP3 strangely enough, to select Flac 16/44. After that, the files that I downloaded were converted to ALAC, as I always do with Flac files, except that this time these were not Flac files, and everytime I played them, they showed up as Alac 16/44, so I thought that was their quality, but they were just MP3s converted to ALAC. Well, this left me with two questions: firstly, would I have been so gung-ho in my appreciation of the quality if I had known at listening time that these were MP3s? I am afraid not. Secondly, how do the files sound in true 16/44 quality? Well, this is scheduled for one my next listening sessions (when I am in good form because these works are not well suited to relaxing after a harsh day).

Anyway, a conclusion I take from this experience is that a well played, well recorded piece will sound nicely even in (high-bitrate) MP3. So in my opinion recording and mastering quality definitely trumps resolution.

@musicophile: Happy to return the favor. I have about 5-6 albums I have purchased based upon your recommendations. I listened to The Helge Lien Trio - Hello Troll, over the weekend (purchased this album, as well as Natsukashii based on your recommendation).

Isn't this a great forum :-)

Back to topic:

Keith Jarrett: Standards II (redbook).

One of my first Keith Jarrett albums, still have the vinyl somewhere. Really well recorded.

Standards, Vol. 2.png

Followed by:

Brahms: Symphony No. 1 - Dausgaard (BIS 24/44)

Brahms_ Sinfonie Nr. 1 - Dausgaard - Swedish Chamber [24_44].png

Will never replace my Furtwängler and Klemperer references, but very nice fresh alternative with great sound quality.

Will never replace my Furtwängler and Klemperer references, but very nice fresh alternative with great sound quality.

You probably already know: Furtwängler's irreplaceable 1951 Hamburg NDR performance is available on SACD from Tahra (I wish the 24/192 digital master from which it's taken were available as download). Also on SACD, Böhm's 1959 BPO studio recording from Esoteric is another favourite in great sound. Also have always liked Horenstein's 1962 LSO (the Reader's Digest/Chesky Gold CD) also in great sound. These three are also all so different in their approaches that I never get tired of any of them.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

You probably already know: Furtwängler's irreplaceable 1951 Hamburg NDR performance is available on SACD from Tahra (I wish the 24/192 digital master from which it's taken were available as download). Also on SACD, Böhm's 1959 BPO studio recording from Esoteric is another favourite in great sound. Also have always liked Horenstein's 1962 LSO (the Reader's Digest/Chesky Gold CD) also in great sound. These three are also all so different in their approaches that I never get tired of any of them.

I do have 3 different recordings of Furtwängler with no. 1, and the Hamburg one is my favorite, too. Don't have SACD, so will stick to my redbook rip probably. I'm not a big fan of Böhm though. However, the Horenstein sounds interesting. Need to check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

Back to topic:

Love Scenes [Europe].jpg

Cheesy cover, but I really like the album (redbook):

I do have 3 different recordings of Furtwängler with no. 1, and the Hamburg one is my favorite, too. Don't have SACD, so will stick to my redbook rip probably. I'm not a big fan of Böhm though. However, the Horenstein sounds interesting. Need to check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

Yes, but do you know the Böhm? Maybe, if you happen to not like his music-making for the same reason I rarely do (he ranks rather low on my list of favourite conductors), you should have a listen to this: it's so energetic and exiting, it'll make you wonder what he was on that day, and the orchestral playing is magnificent…

It's my favourite Böhm recording apart from two live Bruckner 7ths (Munich, 5 April 1977, and Vienna, 26 September 1976, performances I'd rank in the top four of this symphony, right after Giulini live and the unsurpassed Rosbaud), one of the top half-dozen recordings of Richard Strauß's Till Eulenspiegel tone poem (as well as some of his opera recordings), a fine Tristan, probably the Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for Oboe, Clarinet, Horn, Bassoon and Orchestra (the one with Steins, Leister, Seifert and Piesk), plus the - due to Fritz Wunderlich's Tamino - inevitable Magic Flute.

Thinking this over now, I must say it probably is my favourite Böhm recording, period.

Yes, but do you know the Böhm? Maybe, if you happen to not like his music-making for the same reason I rarely do (he ranks rather low on my list of favourite conductors), you should have a listen to this: it's so energetic and exiting, it'll make you wonder what he was on that day, and the orchestral playing is magnificent…

It's my favourite Böhm recording apart from two live Bruckner 7ths (Munich, 5 April 1977, and Vienna, 26 September 1976, performances I'd rank in the top four of this symphony, right after Giulini live and the unsurpassed Rosbaud), one of the top half-dozen recordings of Richard Strauß's Till Eulenspiegel tone poem (as well as some of his opera recordings), a fine Tristan, probably the Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for Oboe, Clarinet, Horn, Bassoon and Orchestra (the one with Steins, Leister, Seifert and Piesk), plus the - due to Fritz Wunderlich's Tamino - inevitable Magic Flute.

Thinking this over now, I must say it probably is my favourite Böhm recording, period.

Send you a PM to limit the hijacking to this thread :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5521[/ATTACH]

I think my favorite Frank Sinatra album of all time. Took the original album with me to College so I could pine away in Philadelphia while I was away. Still have that album. Now I listen to the MFSL Gold CD edition converted to AIFF. Just gorgeous.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Frank sinatra Only The Lonely Mofi.jpg