23 hours ago, austinpop said:

image.png

The latest in the Minnesota Orchestra's Mahler cycle with Osmo Vänskä. I'm a sucker for eClassical's promotions, so at $12.69 for the hi-res version, I couldn't resist, even though this is the 8th version of the 2nd in my library!

Verdict - a very respectable performance, and outstanding sonics. 

With that said, it didn't unseat my all-time favorite Mahler 2nd - both in performance and sonics:

image.png

I too have 8. Including both of these. Wondered how many more there are so I went looking on Amazon. Lost count at 70! 

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

0002894796570_600.jpg

24/96 from Qobuz.

Still one of the best Bach albums of the last 5 years.

See also here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/11/13/murray-perahias-french-suites-a-must-have/

Streamed it. Loved it. Bought the download and listened. Loved it. Then I listened to the Glenn Gould recording, which is quite different, and loved that too. What do you think of the Gould?

2 hours ago, Daccord said:

Streamed it. Loved it. Bought the download and listened. Loved it. Then I listened to the Glenn Gould recording, which is quite different, and loved that too. What do you think of the Gould?

Gould, like for many of us, was the first recording I owned of these. So it will always have a special place in my heart. That said, it has some quirks that Perahia doesn’t. So to me, Perahia is the more timeless version. 

8 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Gould, like for many of us, was the first recording I owned of these. So it will always have a special place in my heart. That said, it has some quirks that Perahia doesn’t. So to me, Perahia is the more timeless version. 

Same here. The longer I listen to Bach and to classical in general the more rarely I play Gould. I have a special sentiment for his 2nd Goldberg V. though. And of course every now and then I like to hear e.g. some weirdly played Beethoven :)