The CSO live recording of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet (suite) is fantastic. I was there for one of the performances, in which they did the whole piece, not just the suite. I can attest that the sound is a very authentic presentation of the venue. More importantly, Muti really gets this music. Lots of fun to be had with this one.

romeoandjulietcso.jpg

Regarding the suggestion for El Cant de la Sibil-la, wow! Just caught up with this tonight. Thank you for a marvelous suggestion. Also, this is on TIDAL Hi-Fi. One more reason I am glad to have subscribed. Keep the great recs coming!

[ATTACH]17063[/ATTACH]

Tonight's main listening, in DSD format from SACD rip. L'Histoire du Soldat is music that is starting to grow on me -- and the sound quality is among the best I've heard.

Listening to this in TIDAL HIFI so not at SACD data levels, but I have to say it is a very fine recording and, to my taste, an excellent performance. I too have not previously been a huge fan of this piece, although I have generally been a huge fan of Stravinsky. Something about this recording is worming its way in and making me a convert to the piece. So, thanks for the recommendation!

Realizing this is really an album of four or five evenings, I just discovered TIDAL makes available:

Miles Davis, The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel

Miles_Davis_The_Complete_Live_at_the_Plugged_Nickel_1965.jpg

At The Crossroads . . .

James Carter Organ Trio

(James Carter: Sax[Tenor, Baritone, Alto, Saprano] Flute; Gerard Gibbs: Organ; Leonard King Jr: Drums)

Multiple guest artists contribute to this lively 'Jazz Blues' album, which adds a nice bit of variety to things.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17191[/ATTACH]

At the Crossroads - James Carter,James Carter Organ Trio | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

What a fun, stylistically diverse and talented performance! Thanks for this. This was a great soundtrack for prepping Sunday dinner.

0032a25a.jpeg

What a homecoming! Not to be missed by any fans of AACM/Art Ensemble of Chicago and/or DeJohnette. I missed this concert when I had the chance to be there but am pleased to have it available now. Purchased this as a 24/48 download from the German site Highresaudio

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17498[/ATTACH]

Glenn Gould's 1982 recording of the Goldberg Variations. Perhaps idiosyncratic, but deeply moving. Sound to match from an LP digitized at 24/192.

Was your LP pressed from the first digital recordings publicly released in 1982, or the analog version that was released in 2002 on "The State of Wonder" album? The original PCM that was used for the original LP pressing is what it is for a 1981 PCM recording (Gould was fascinated with the idea of digital), but the engineers fortunately did an analog recording, too, which eventually got released on the State of Wonder album.

Andrew Norman: Play. Performed by the Boston Modern Orchestra Project.

norman-home-1.jpg

This is the piece that recently was all over Twitter after someone nominated it "best large-scale Classical piece of the 21st Century (so far)."Judge for yourself; it is definitely worth hearing. Available on TIDAL HiFi.

In Memoriam – Guillaume de Machaut: Messe Notre Dame

Ensemble Musica Nova

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17757[/ATTACH]

Thanks for this. Enjoying it greatly. On TIDAL, BTW. This thread has been one of the greatest demonstrations to me of the value of maintaining that subscription.

More Patricia ..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17792[/ATTACH]

Yes! This is one that could convert those who are not already fans. Exciting, emotionally satisfying and intellectually engaging music.

The English Lute Song

Julianne Baird and Ronn McFarlane

MI0000969127.jpg

One of the first "audiophile" recordings I ever purchased and enjoyed, about 25 years ago while a humble graduate student. This and other Dorian/Troy Savings Bank Auditorium recordings were "the shit" in and around 1990, but somehow you never hear about them any more. I still love this and all the rest.

Biber, Muffat Sonatas

Freiburger Barockorchester

MI0001007760.jpg

I bought this disc a long time ago and used to listen to it very regularly in my office, but had not heard it for a while. Stumbled on it in my iTunes library this evening, and glad I did. Virtuosic performances with extreme energy and drive. Exciting in a way this genre often is not. Highly recommended.

Barber, Korngold, Walton: Violin Concertos

James Ehnes, soloist

Vancouver Symphony Orchestra

51N31X0P5ML.jpg

I'm visiting Vancouver later this week and thought I might have time to catch a performance by their symphony, so I decided to check out some of their recordings. Very glad I did, as I found this excellent album of 20th Century violin concerti released in 2006. The virtuosity of the soloist of course is the feature here (and virtuosity he has in spades), but the orchestra is very eloquent and supports the soloist consummately; their ensemble talent is obvious. (And I sneaked a listen to their recording of some Borodin available through TIDAL HiFi that is quite good, too.)

24 Ways of Looking at a Piano

Eric Schwartz

MI0001106781.jpg

This is some challenging but rewarding music. Electronically modified piano that launches the sound into the exosphere. Some of it will also challenge your audiophile sensibilities; the sound is highly distorted, compressed, folded, spindled, and mutilated. But if you can stream it as I did at Classics Online HD (Naxos), it's worth the investment of your time and attention (and if you love it and want to own a copy, US$10.99 to download a copy). Here is what All Music had to say about this album.

Paris expers Paris: Ecole Notre-dame, 1170-1240

Diabolus in Musica

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18219

Thank you for this recommendation. Beautiful and intellectually stimulating stuff.

FYI, I found this on Naxos Classics Online HD.

Flatt and Scruggs at Carnegie Hall!

Z0001004.jpg

Bluegrass is not "folk music," it is a sophisticated (in all meanings of that word) music that, above all else, requires virtuosity that exactly parallels Classical and Jazz performance. This concert at Carnegie Hall brought it all together. Enjoy.