• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Jan Garbarek, The Hilliard Ensemble - Officium

0002894453692_230.jpg

This was the first in a series of collaborations between wonderful male vocal quartet Hilliard and jazz saxophonist Jan Garbarek. The tracks are an eclectic mixture of early music - chants and polyphony performed by Hilliard and improvisation by Garbarek. The sound they achieve is amazing and ethereal, the sax at times sounding incredibly like one of the voices. Highly recommended.

That is a FANTASTIC album; not good AMAZING. I love Garbarek. His work is surreal. Great choice

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guardian Angel Rachel Podger

51sEzBCi84L._SY300_.jpg

192/24 download from qobuz.

Works for solo violin by J.S.Bach, Matteis the elder, Tartini, Pisendel and Biber. Bach's representation here is the flute partita in A minor transposed down a major second to G minor for violin. The title comes from the Passacaglia at the end of Biber's Rosary Sonatas, which is supposed to be related to the Feast of the Guardian Angel.

This was mastered by Jared Sacks direct to DSD as far as I know? You can download the DSD version at:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/guardian-angel

• 1 month later...
Very creative, where to buy a download or CD?

Edited:

Ok. Qobuz as usual ;-)

Yes as usual. By far the best site out there and has just about everything.

I listened to that album three times yesterday and like it more each time

The Jack Johnson and Friends Curious George I bought yesterday and is also excellent. Great music and his best SQ IMO to date. That comes in 24/96.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my favorite thread on CA. Musicophile if your scotch recommendations are as good as your music recommendations I am sure it is excellent. While not a scotch drinker I will get a bottle for my Montana home!

And Barry please release some music, it has been too long.

Hi Howie,

Thank you for that. Much appreciated.

In fact, I'm recording next week and hope that will become the next release.

The feel at the rehearsals has been great.

I'm very excited to be working on this project and will be using some new ancillary gear to record it.

And if all goes well, the artist I mentioned a few posts ago will be the release after that.

If I'm lucky, some items to come will have folks posting about them in this thread.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

Barry,

I am eagerly awaiting your next!

As soon as I get home I will download your recommendations.

Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13252[/ATTACH]

Kenny Edwards was a founding member of the Stone Poneys with Linda Ronstadt, a member of her touring band, and a musical guiding force for her throughout her career. He was also a member of Canned Heat, and the much-underappreciated Bryndle, with Andrew Gold, Wendy Waldman, and Karla Bonoff.

This album, his second and final solo effort, released in 2009, is an acoustic tour-de-force, with wonderful SQ.

Download the redbook FLAC here:

Kenny Edwards | Resurrection Road | CD Baby Music Store

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13253[/ATTACH]

R.I.P.

Thanks. Totally forgot about him. Great recommendation!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Bach: Ouvertures - Freiburger Barockorchester (24/44)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14294[/ATTACH]

As much as I was disappointed by their recent Brandenburg concertos, this 2011 Harmonia Mundi recording remains my reference version for the Orchestral Suites.

Highly recommended.

Thanks. Bought it on your recommendation and it is superb.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Iiro Rantala String Trio (24/96) from ACT.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17489[/ATTACH]

This album is just weird, but in a really positive sense.

Iiro Rantala is semi-known from the Finnish Jazz Trio Töykeät, which was already a bit special, and now on this album he plays with a violin and a cello. What style is this? Not really Jazz, not really classical, certainly not "crossover" (arrgh), but just beautiful music.

Absolutely worth checking out.

<font color="#545454" face="arial, sans-serif" size="2"><span style="line-height: 18px;">[video=youtube;8W2-3oWWIXs]

Another fantastic recommendation. Very "emotional" and moving album and very well recorded. Once again thanks for another great one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Evan Christopher and Django á la Créole, finesse, redbook CD, XLD conversion 44.1/16 to AIFF. Production quality is superb! Highly recommended. Thank you for recommendation of the Live! album by the same artists, or for both if that is what prompted my purchase.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18482[/ATTACH]

Evan Christopher's Django à la Créole (Live)

I don't know if you saw my post on this album on 4/21/2015 BUT IMHO one of the best I have ever heard and IMHO his best recording to date. He is incredible and this recording in particular amazing.