• 9 months later...
21 hours ago, semente said:

Sound quality is a bit harsh but the performances are thrilling, with a lot of slapping and kicking, in a sweet and sour manner that reminds me of Mravinsky's recordings of Tchaikovsky's 4, 5 and 6th:

MI0003554452.jpg

Interesting, what format?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5 April 2018 at 6:03 AM, austinpop said:

Exploring MQA classical albums on Tidal, and found this gem:

61IT2gcP3rL._SS500.jpg

Really enjoyed the Sibelius, haven't heard the Walton yet.

Just listened to this, a great recommendation.  Sibelius is one of the few great composers I've struggled to get into, but  I heard this piece  first at Proms last year, very appealing. Any recommendations as to which of the symphonies to try (I like a big tune)?

From my explorations  of Tidal/MQA, I find this hits the spot:

61sBW8i6PCL._SS500.jpg

especially #7 which I find very fine.

20 minutes ago, rando said:

This album jumps out at me as mixing the first and last

Thanks for the recommendation.  My impression hitherto has been that Sibelius's music is cool and  cerebral rather than the romantic and tuneful that I favour; this may simply be down to my ignorance and limited exposure to his music.

37 minutes ago, Daverz said:

The Violin Concerto is the place to start, I think.

Symphonies 1 & 2 are fully in the tuneful Romantic symphony tradition.  It's with No. 3 that he becomes more enigmatic, though I'd never say outwardly cerebral.  I'd skip to 5 and 6 and then come back to 4, 7 and 3.

Thanks, a useful "road map" to Sibelius.  I will give it a try.

• 6 months later...

For me the pairing of the Manfred and Kobayashi is pretty much the ultimate romantic symphony combination (even though you can sometime hear his exertions), so this is really something:

51tAj97JI8L._SS500.jpg

https://tidal.com/album/52223381

I now make a point of seeking out Exton stuff on Tidal, pretty much uniformly  excellent recordings from Kobayashi, Ashkenazy, Lazarev, Inbal etc 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Liked these so much via Tidal that I’m now working my way through the SACD box set.  If not already familiar with them, well  worth a listen, like  a sunnier Beethoven/Schumann cross and exemplary CPO SQ. #6 is particularly interesting -  mixing styles and periods across movements   

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Who would have thought I'd one day write such a negative review of a Vänskä / Minnesota recording

I understand that sentiment and too had high expectations  for their Mahler cycle to date.  I absolutely love 2,  but have been somewhat disappointed with 5 and 6.  For me, the  latter ( my favourite Mahler symphony) in particular lacks the drama and “bite” in the outer movements found in Solti CSO for example.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...