Anne Akiko Meyers. 24/96 download; available in silver disc also.

She plays both violin parts (using two different Strads) on the Double Concerto. Lovely, lovely stuff.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Fond memories of the Zappa. :-)

Mine this evening: Wilco, The Whole Love.

HDTracks download.

Damn, where've I been all this band's life?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, you're right about Gaga. Amy Winehouse was (sadly, not *is*) also superb. Strange that Aretha isn't in top form; the years have taken something.

• 3 months later...

Go Tell It.jpg

The Blind Boys of Alabama, Go Tell It On The Mountain.

Chrissie Hynde, Aaron Neville, Mavis Staples, the inimitable Tom Waits on the title track, and woven through everything these guys singing their considerable hearts out. Great sound quality.

If it doesn't raise the hair on the back of your arms, have your hearing checked.

My system's sounding the best it ever has. Played one track from this one this evening and was just stunned at how great it was, had to hear the rest. I think it won some awards; it deserved them.

Raising Sand.jpg

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Jud viewpost-right.png

The Blind Boys of Alabama, Go Tell It On The Mountain.

It may not only be for Christmas, but it's still a hell of a lot of Christmas in June.

-Chris

True - probably sound even better in December. :-)

• 2 months later...
Wow... amazing album. Love Little Feat and have most of their albums? Any other recommendations in the southern rock genre?

I'm big on Creedence Clearwater Revival, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles, The Charlie Daniels Band & Little Feat but always looking for more recommendations.

Ryan Bingham - more western than Southern, but then Feat was based in DC, so not that Southern either. Subdudes are another recommendation. But tough (impossible, really) to equal Feat back in the day with Lowell, and not much comes close to Dixie Chicken.

• 4 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2222[/ATTACH]

cd layer XLD aiff rip

Ah, a Blaster from the past!

• 1 month later...

Privateering.jpg

My appreciation for this one is really growing as I finally get a chance to sit back and listen to it at leisure. Knopfler in his later career is displaying a talent for writing songs with such strong melodies and lyrics they sound traditional as soon as you hear them. "Dream of the Drowned Submariner" is a special favorite at the moment.

Cat Power (Chan, pronounced "Shawn," Marshall) - Sun

Sun.jpg

"Cherokee," the first track, is a hot mess, with production (if this pastiche of sounds coming from all angles can even be called that) that bears no resemblance whatever to acoustic instruments in a natural space, and obviously processed vocals. I cannot for the life of me stop listening to it.

• 3 weeks later...
unfortunately on the iPhone only, as traveling.

A MacBook Pro, Audioquest Dragonfly, and good in-ear monitors (such as the Etymotic ER-4P) should fix that right up. :-)

BTW, I have the Richard Goode set of the Sonatas. I like them very much, though I've read some reviews of the Goode that are not, uh, good.

• 4 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3429[/ATTACH]

Sweet and beautiful.

Roch

Looks very interesting. Available as a download or just as a disc? The composers and the album cover remind me a lot of Jordi Savall's material. (Have you had the opportunity of listening to files from any of Savall's SACDs?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3429[/ATTACH]

Sweet and beautiful.

Roch

Got it from Amazon and listened yesterday to some of it. Beautiful indeed. Thanks, Roch.

By the way - a year ago or so I emailed Savall's label, Alia Vox, and asked them to consider putting their SACDs on the Web as downloadable DSDs. They said at the time they didn't think they would, but an email from you about your situation with the Couperin could not hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Ludi Musici.jpg

Actually, I did not listen to the album. My wife and I saw Jordi Savall and an ensemble in concert performing pieces from this album and others last night at Lincoln Center in New York. We sat directly in front of the maestro, perhaps 10-15 feet from the front of the stage and 20-25 feet from him. I did not know whether I would ever get the chance to do this in my life. Yet it was even better than I'd anticipated, a joyful experience, like a cross between seeing Michaelangelo's "David" in Florence, and being handed front row center tickets to a Springsteen concert by a roadie, then having Bruce kiss my wife and toss me his harmonica after the concert - but that story is for another time.... :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Last week's treasure hunt produced some real 'keepers'.

These ProMo's made early in the production run were some of the best pressings & were then distributed to radio stations by the record companies.

Some may think, "radio station records must be in poor shape with so much play time".

Not so.

Typically, only one track would be played from the disc.

Additionally, the typical radio station had excellent equipment that was V well maintained.

And the discs were treated with respect, cleaned before & after each spin, then replaced to a proper storage area.

Sadly, this one suffers from some slight warping which I can deal with later.

Otherwise, the condition is wonderful & the sound is amazing.

The dynamics are stunning with backgrounds black as Pennsylvania Bituminous Coal.

Much more involving than the redbook rip I already have, which on its own is no slouch, this LP will make an excellent rip.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4371[/ATTACH]

A particular favorite, as is Flying Cowboys. Have this LP and MoFi SACD also, both terrific.

• 1 month later...
REM-ChronicTown_zpscb678a4e.jpeg

Been listening to selections from their Greatest Hits lately; "Gardening at Night" is wonderful. Saw them in a little (300 people?) converted church in Oklahoma after Reckoning and (I think) before Fables, so 1984-85. The show began around 1 or 2 a.m. Stipe's hair was probably two feet long, and he was constantly throwing it around as he danced and sang. Hardly saw his face for it the whole night.

• 4 weeks later...
Edgard Varese "Arcana", "Integrales" & "Ionisation", Los Angeles Philharmonic, Zubin Metha.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5450[/ATTACH]

Maybe he inspired Jean-Michel Jarre...?

Roch

He certainly inspired Frank Zappa. Zappa had history with Mehta and the Philharmonic as well. During rehearsal for a performance with the orchestra, Zappa cued Mehta for the Philharmonic's entrance with the words "Hit it, Zubin!"

• 4 weeks later...
MORPHINE, The Night

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5776[/ATTACH]

Interesting Rock group With Lead singer playing a 2 string slide Bass, a drummer and the lead is a Baritone Sax.

Top Floor, Bottom Buzzer is a fun song

Really miss these guys - definitely a different voice, always too few of those.

We had a lot of fun listening to music last night...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5852[/ATTACH]

I really, really want Springfield available in hi-res, or even better, a very good remastering at any resolution.

What does "denigratenthe SQ ofnthe redbook" mean please? Denigratenthe is a new word to me, but I admit I frequently find your prose beyond me.

Unless informed otherwise, I'm taking this as attempted humor.

• 3 weeks later...

Takeaway Gallagher line:

"My arse is better than Beyonce's," he claimed.

Boz Scaggs: Memphis XLD redbook CD to AIFF. Excellent SQ and a cast of thousands. Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy his voice.

Jack Ashford - vibraphone,

Ben Cauley - trumpet

Barrie Cooper - violin

Jim Cox - Fender Rhodes, organ, piano

Shannon Forrest - drums

Jack Hale - trombone

Charles Hodges - organ

Jim Horn - sax

David Hungate - bass

Steve Jordan - drums, vocals

Keb' Mo' - slide dobro

Jonathan Kirkscey - cello

Beth Luscombe - viola

Lannie McMillan - sax

Lawrence Mitchell - percussion

Jessie Munson - violin

Charlie Musselwhite - harmonica

Spooner Oldham - organ, piano

Monet Owens - vocals

Ray Parker Jr. - guitar

Jennifer Puckett - viola

Claytoven Richardson - vocals

Rick Vito - guitar

Mark Wallace - cello

Willie Weeks - bass

Eddie Willis - guitar

Wen-Yih You - violin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6229[/ATTACH]

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Jim Horn, Charlie Musselwhite, Spooner Oldham, Willie Weeks - yow. If you went down the list of people they've played with, I'd be kind of surprised if anyone in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame was left out.

Classic, and deserving of it:

Low Spark.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6255[/ATTACH]

Iron and Wine - Ghost on Ghost

Beautiful, beautiful and beautiful record by Sam Beam. A sound for the summer. His best (for me)

Cheers

Oscar

I like this a lot. There are some songs on here that I agree with you are among his very best. I thought "Kiss Each Other Clean" was great for consistency - no bad or even mediocre songs - so I will have to listen more to Ghost to see how it compares on that score.

No one else ever wrote lyrics like this:

The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face

The music is pretty damn fine, too.

Blonde on Blonde.jpg