• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
David Oistrakh | Herbert von Karajan | Mstislav Rostropovich | Sviatoslav Richter | Vienna Philharmonic: Beethoven: Triple Concerto (2011 - Remaster) HDtracks DL 96/24 in AIFF format. Good SQ, but not great. Anyone agree or disagree about SQ of this DL?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4752[/ATTACH]

Dear Richard,

totally agree with you. I have bought almost all of these wonderful EMI high-res albums. I like Itzak Perlman very much and I can highly recommend that one:

Tchaikovsky: Piano Trio (2011 - Remaster)

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD5099970559859

Performance and sound quality are state of the art here!

Enjoy listening,

Bernhard

• 1 month later...
Thanks Bernhard .. I'm listening to the Warner Remasters (remastered by Bob Ludwig), I have them all. I like it but not sure it's a preference per se. I'm curious, do you have a preference?

To my knowledge the SHM-SACD is the same Bob Ludwig remaster. So we listen to basically the same version.

All these wonderful Dire Straits albums, from this one up to Brothers in Arms would be great in a new 'reference' transfer from the orig. tapes to a modern HD format.

Till then we enjoy the existing version of this timeless music! :-)

• 3 months later...

Yes, the Beethoven is fantastic!

Isabelle Faust - Mozart Orchestra - Claudio Abbado

Berg - Beethoven violin concertos

Picked up from Musicophile, great recording & production. The Berg pieces are close to overwhelming for a neophyte like me, enough to give Stravinsky and his virgin killings a good run for the money. The Beethoven is really well done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7412[/ATTACH]

You are right, maybe the Bach's are great. I don't listen to them, because I don't like these 'church' & liturgy music.

Sir Charles Mackerras conducting Mozart is good, here I'm missing the emotion, which I feel in other recordings.

But it's my personal taste only...

I disagree on Linn. There's really great stuff like the Dunedin Bach recordings (John, Matthew, etc.), or the Macckeras Mozart recordings.

McClain really has the blues! Where did you get the 24/192 version? Wow!

Hands down one of the best recordings I have now. I can't say enough good things about this album. If this is having the blues, I'll have them everyday! This is a 24/192KHz recording and it definitely shows off what a hi-res album can do. Highly recommended if you want to just chill out and have some great music playing that will definitely get your toes tappin'!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7536[/ATTACH]

• 5 months later...
Two beautiful romantic string concerts today, that are excellent both sonically and for the interpretation:

Tchaikovsky: Violin concerto - Julia Fischer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10169[/ATTACH]

Dvorak: Cello concertos - Steven Isserlis

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10170[/ATTACH]

Both highly recommended.

I think you will also like this one - can get it at qobuz in HD

For me personally, it is her very best album!

... and a brand new 2014 release.

image.jpg

This may sound overly negative, Sarasate reminds me too much of the "gypsy" music you'll get if you don't run away quickly enough in nearly every Viennese coffee house. I know he's one of the better known Spanish composers, nothing wrong with it, but it's just not my style of music.

Okay, personal taste. I really love those fiddling. And I don't miss emotions, when hearing this disc! But, of course, I cannot hear it all day long.

I am born in Vienna and lived there for a while, I find no similarities between Sarasate and old style "Vienna music". What you mean is the Strauss Aera on one hand and the typical "Schrammelmusik" on the other.

Schrammelmusik (use google translate, when interested)

Btw.: My best Sarasate is a XRCD by Erick Friedman called Violin Showpieces

And HDTT has a very good one by Erick Friedman

By the way, I have a similar problem with most of Paganini.

+1

• 8 months later...

Yesterday and tonight Oscar Peterson is at my home ;)

It's the new Edel:Kultur Germay release of the immortal MPS tapes recorded by Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer.

You can get the vinyl box or download a 24/88 copy at highresaudio.com

As far as I know, they transfered the tapes in DSD, maybe in the future, who knows ...

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1416427416.715353.jpg