4 hours ago, masch said:

Oh yes, absolutely +1

And don't forget the other two recordings in the series.

0.jpg

b.jpg

Yes, I have those as well.  Also purchased The Essential Sibelius boxed set from BIS which has Vänskä's full symphony cycle with the Lahti Symphony.  Overall, I think I prefer the newer cycle with Minnesota, but I enjoy whichever I'm listening to at the moment.

I also have Neeme Järvi's two sets with the Gothenburg Symphony, the first one on BIS, and the second on DG, along with his set of tone poems for DG.  And I have Paavo Berglund's first two complete sets of the symphonies (couldn't pass them up on Amazon, they were around $10 for each boxed set lol), and a boxed set of Eugene Ormandy's Sibelius recordings for RCA, with the glorious Philadelphia Orchestra.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

26 minutes ago, rando said:

*cough*  I do find it odd nobody has weighed in on this given the overwhelming regard for the cycle.

4998042-origpic-9e0b9c.jpg

I only listened to Kullervo once, before I had a copy of the text and knew the subject matter.  I probably won't listen again, as it's repulsive to me now haha.  I have Vänskä's earlier recording with the Lahti Symphony, as well as Järvi's recording on BIS, and one of the Berglund versions.  If a favorite singer were involved in another recording of it, I'd listen for the singer alone haha.

Howard Shelley

Benjamin Britten

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra

Edward Gardner/BBC Philharmonic

another CD I just received today from Amazon (I got a bit of a scare seeing recently how many of Howard Shelley's recordings have gone out of print, so I ordered everything that seemed interesting that I didn't already own haha)

Britten.jpg

Gil Shaham

Johannes Brahms

Violin Concerto & "Double" Concerto

Claudio Abbado/Berlin Philharmonic

Now listening to another CD from the bundle I received today after a panicked search and seeing the work of favorite performers going out of print.

Brahms a.jpg

Brahms b.jpg

5 hours ago, rando said:

Thank you for bringing the true nature of Kullervo to my attention.  That is not the heartwarming tale of national identity I thought it was.  Funny you have so many recordings of something you have listened to once.  I may try to find out why they chose to record this piece.  After I can figure out what folk story prominently set to music I was thinking of which is actually heartwarming and reflective of Nordic culture to this day.  

CH10581.jpg

I'm sorry it's ruined for you now as well, but it's not my fault you let your curiosity get the better of you!  I never actually stated what the tale was, haha!

Every version I have came as part of a boxed set that included other pieces that I wanted.  Most of them are bundled with the symphonies.  The Vänskä/Minnesota version wasn't included with symphonies or tone poems, otherwise I'd own that version as well, probably! :D  As I get older, and dementia sets in, I may forget the story and want to listen to all of those recordings, as it's interesting from a musical standpoint, anyway.  lol

The Lemminkäinen Suite is gorgeous, and while the background story is rather awful, as well, it can safely be ignored, since it's not enshrined in the piece via word-setting haha.  Lemminkäinen is a character in the Finnish national epic, the Kalevala.  I think my favorite recording of it is Järvi/Gothenburg on DG, although I also love Ormandy's recording of the full suite with the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Vänskä/Lahti is wonderful as well.  The Swan of Tuonela is one of the movements from the suite, and there are tons of recordings of that movement on its own.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've recently been searching for the best recordings of my favorite Rachmaninov song, В молчаньи ночи тайной (known in English as In the Silence of the Secret Night), and finally hit upon a very recent release by Linn Records while searching on arkivmusic.com, a CD of songs by Sibelius and Rachmaninov, performed by baritone Jacques Imbrailo and pianist Alisdair Hogarth.  I decided to take a chance and order it, and now I'm listening to it for the third time in a row today.  Bliss!!  And not just that song, but the entire album!  I'll be writing to Linn Records to let them know I'm eagerly anticipating their next album with this wonderful singer.

447581517_JIa.thumb.jpg.1add358b26f58dc7d6551999a0382f1f.jpg

580220186_JIb2.thumb.jpg.b830e52e16de3da14a67c548bba43068.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sergei Rachmaninov

Symphony No. 2

Lan Shui/Singapore Symphony Orchestra

377743511_ShuiR2.thumb.jpg.2813d01b0797d8b4cbfd1c96ae9be94e.jpg

Gorgeous performance (Shui is my favorite conductor of the Rachmaninov symphonies), and wonderfully clear and dynamic recorded sound as usual with BIS.

For connoisseurs of this symphony, this recording is of the uncut score, and includes the first movement exposition repeat.  (Many recordings are listed as "complete" or "uncut" but do not have the repeat noted in the score.  I have over 40 recordings of this symphony haha.)

Diana Damrau

Franz Liszt

Lieder

Other than the occasional song or two in a live recital, I wasn't really familiar with this side of Franz Liszt until this album by Diana Damrau.  It's wonderful to find something new to love at my age!  (49 haha, but I've been listening mostly to classical music since I was around 5 years old, and have somewhere over 2000 CDs in my collection--all played at least once lol, so I've done a fair bit of exploring over my time haha!)

1234599530_DianaLiszta.thumb.jpg.9441cc6cbf5e1b92623ef0800656a4c0.jpg

765027726_DianaLisztb.thumb.jpg.a00fd9137faadc55966cdb5933c1efe0.jpg

Here's a sample from youtube, with a lovely trill at the end:

Time for an old favorite:

Leif Ove Andsnes

Johannes Brahms

Piano Concerto No. 1

Rattle/City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

2067200286_LOABa.thumb.jpg.4c44d9c16e0d2cdac7dde31e1cc60c02.jpg

876666137_LOABb.thumb.jpg.59c5d8178db8cc74bcb790a2e43c8a4c.jpg

Hard to believe that in September this recording will be twenty years old already lol.  Well, it's still fresh and exciting to me :D

• 2 weeks later...

A rare foray into something other than classical or Mariah Carey or Patti Page lol:

Chris Isaak

First Comes the Night Deluxe Edition

671569740_CIFirstComestheNighta.thumb.jpg.88b1d65a10b0176fc3087b9882777068.jpg

308187114_CIFirstComestheNightb.thumb.jpg.66ee8c3ddea6e693d6f30f5a28952fb5.jpg

This man has to be the most consistent artist in pop/rock history.  For me, every album is a winner, for a bit over three decades now!