• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's getting to be the season you can't go anywhere without people singing. Ringing bells even more so.

This one came as a bit of a surprise and I'm not sure I'd ever listened to it before. To say Mr. McFerrin's stint with the SPCO was under attended would be stating a fact. I could suppose it was parts aversion to rock operas and jazz suites. For all I know any number of the internationally known cadre in the immediate area could have fostered his posting over a politically popular rival. The conductor on my second album choice for instance. Back to the work itself, he conducts and performs. Performs with his voice in place of a number of instruments. The liner notes hint this was a personal work aimed at children of all ages. Refreshing and deeper musical interpretation than it would appear.

R-4455453-1383072724-5607.jpeg.jpg

Maestro Skrowaczewski (93) suffered a stroke last Sunday evening and was forced to remove himself from the podium at four concerts with the Dallas Symphony this weekend.

R-8362878-1460139130-9336.jpeg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I am a self confessed fan of the lute and yes, the sound was marvelous and nothing like what can be captured in a YouTube video. I am fond of the harpsichord but rarely can I listen at length without fatigue. It can't just be the limited tonality of the harpsichord as I can listen tp lute music for hours. Something to due with the "brightness" and the sharp attack and decay qualities of the instrument.

I had basically the same reaction until listening to any of the Caro Mitis "Harpsichord Gems" series. As much as I have reservations about the auto-tune level of misinformation portrayed in modern remasters and recordings. It does reward the listener occasionally. For the price of admission you can get the best seats not just a good seat.

On that note...

cm0102006cover.jpg

Wow, I don't care how deep into the 90's that album cover was conceived. I'm sure the musical side is just fine but highlighter green and orange with mint? :)

This struck a very good middleground this evening. Celebratory without being overtly disruptive to relaxing.

ym2jY1Q.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Got a wild hair to go hunt through the stacks at thrift shops for some discs further off the beaten path than I normally venture.  A fair number of these budget discs are new recordings providing an escape from the labels relisting of old materials refreshed yet again under a different guise.  Some even capturing decent SQ and performance.  

This was time enjoyably spent discovering a new conductor and underemployed players.  Which is the real draw in this category. 

MI0001072988.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

On 5/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, Guidof said:

(I'm not sure how to feel about the recent fad of bizarre and irrelevant cover art that we seem to encounter more and more often ;-))

I have to admit the cover art above was the swaying factor in a field of unknown and likely marginal discs.

Thinking I got off light after bringing up thrift store finds.  In rebuttal to the one person who didn't let me off easy, tested my ability to hold onto dinner after another whiff of the unwashed bear.  Albeit one gently lazing in a field of flowers within earshot of gently lapping waves.   :P

0002894785915_600.jpg   

Continuing my, oh there's a fancy word in vogue for this, upcycled(?) works rescued from certain destruction.  These two were by far the best finds.  

Sinfonias Espanolas - Concerto Koln

79_210629_0_SinfoniaEspanolasConcertoKol

Minnesota Orchestra Showcase - Eiji Oue

61C37SNtc1L.jpg

It isn't too far fetched a) the project will continue now, b) all of the Vivaldi Edition discs will be released in box sets.  My hope is along with staging the operas Believe will embrace audiophile quality downloads  

Of 24 total views on Allesandrini's youtube page for this album I probably accounted for 21.  Even before the bankruptcy this was a small batch OOP disk going for high prices if you could find it.  I'm still shocked they put it in a box set.

OP30518-K.jpg   81qKYMqV9VL._SL1200_.jpg

Of everything I've listened to in the last few days this one sticks with me as the most enjoyable.  The Tchaikovsky on Eloquence upstream is very much of the same category of music that rarely lands in my playlists.  Spring weather really has been that nice recently.

71mbvVDuRYL._SY355_.jpg