A very interesting band. Thx for the recommendation!

I think you may like Charles Lloyd's 'Sangam' if you don't know it.

Yesterday I watched Hadouk Trio - En Concert Au Satellit Café (2005) DVD. A very intriguing world music - jazz fusion trio. IMO the percussionist is simply brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this. I was unaware of Zorn but am fond of much of Frisell's work.

Sharing and learning - what this thread does for me on a regular basis.

You are welcome. In fact I felt a little awkward writing that post 'cause I could also recommend a 100 of his other albums ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Zorn_discography ) and another hundred CDs of other performers of Tzadik label. Worth checking out IMO!
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, I was really struck by it as well! I don't know if there is much out there quite like it. But if you follow Kayhan Kalhor's discography, you'll find an interesting variety of musicians and music, including other Persian classical "ustads"(Kalhor has 3 albums with a group called Masters of Persian Music, which are quite traditional). Other albums have more improv. and a more contemporary feel.

You might also try the Dastan Ensemble, or check out BacHolz' recommendation of Azam Ali and Niyaz. I'm afraid that's about all I know.

I know Azam Ali. But this is not exactly my kind of music. And I'm checking other Kayhan Kalhor's albums. I'm quite into world music but this stuff is new to me. And it sounds amazing! I'll check Dastan Ensemble too. Thanks!

For me this is one of his best late studio albums! Some songs' lyrics are a little hermethic (references to his buddhist training experiences, which I don't mind) but if you can digest it, you surely will appreciate this (musically supervised by Sharon Robinson) beautiful album! Available in 24bit (HDTracks)

55_foto1_product_groot.jpg

Thanks for the tip as I don't have this.

He has a new release later this month.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29541[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the information. Didn't know this one is coming. You surely know his 'Live in London' - a fantastic performance by both LC and the band! The DVD is also worth checking out.
One of my favorite DVD concerts. Nice to see something so positive come out of his financial misfortune. The performance, the lighting and sound are well done and truth be told I have a crush on his backup vocalists, the Webb Sisters!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29561[/ATTACH]

They say two are better than one.. ;)

He has always been surrounded by beautiful women. On and off stage.

Sharon Robinson is more my type. Beautiful voice too.

• 2 weeks later...