• 2 weeks later...
It's almost that time of the year and Spring is almost upon us. I'm looking for another "Le Sacre du Printemp". Presently I have but these...

Igor Stravinsky, Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1960)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34113[/ATTACH]

Valery Gergiev, Kirov Orchestra (1999)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34114[/ATTACH]

Sir Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony (1989)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34117[/ATTACH]

Again, not especially studied were these choices, but what could I add to my library?

I have these 3, all of which have their merits. The Paavo and the Fischer are available as SACD/DSD, and are both excellent modern recordings.

51mFgZkWQCL.jpg

517Zo-bF0ML._SS500.jpg

918oQuVyz-L._SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I received the email from eclassical about the Sudbin today. Is it as good as the 4&5?

Just bought it and having a first listen. This one is offered at 24/96, while the 4/5 is at 24/44.1. How do they compare?

First off - it has that gorgeous BIS sound. As for virtuousity - I have no classical training nor am I an expert. I just know what I like. And I like Sudbin!

Overall, I'd have to say the 4/5 was truly magical, a level that this 1/2 approaches but doesn't quite achieve. Perhaps the difference is the ensemble (Minnesota O vs Tapiola Sinfonietta) and/or venue.

All that said, this 1/2 clearly surpasses anything else in my collection. 

So - highly recommended, even if not quite at the very high level of the 4/5.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

41yVbfHlfEL.jpg

Posting the above image here because this has been in my top 3 favorite recordings of Mahler's Symphony No. 1.

But good as the SACD is, it was topped in resolution and dynamics by the real thing - MTT conducting the SF Symphony in a program combining the Symphony 10 Adagio and Symphony No. 1.

I was fortunate to catch a performance this past weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, accwai said:

Got the Les Arts Florissants/William Christie version a while back at a used CD place. Need to get to it soon as well... Thanks for reminding :)

I went schopping for Schöpfungen, so I took a listen to the Les Arts version on Tidal. Very strong vocalists, beautiful tone. Personally I still prefer the Gardiner, but both are very enjoyable!

21 hours ago, accwai said:

Now album of the evening finally:

Indian Classical Ragas - Wigmore Hall Live

Amjad Ali Khan, Amaan Ali Khan, Ayaan Ali Khan, Satyajit Talwalkar

MI0003245253.jpg

Thanks! Enjoying this this evening.

Downloaded the sample of this last week from NativeDSD:

38817.jpg

I already have so many Mahler 3rd's that I will probably wait for reviews first. 

But the best part of the sampler was the conversation between the conductor, the musicians and the recording engineers. Fischer's thick accented "Ve Vill record the First Movement, ja." really cracked me up.

I know - I am easily amused.

Seriously, please let us know if anyone listened to this yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I am listening to Die Schöpfung too this evening!

This is what I am listening to.

51msv-orBGL.jpg

After recently rediscovering this piece in my collection, I did some comparison schöpfing for high-res versions, and this SACD/DSD was the best to my ears.

I have to say, while I really enjoyed the superb recording and performance, it didn't quite displace my all-time favorite:

513ZlGpuUdL.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.b17065e624d66326c4513a7cd6ec7cb6.JPG

My first DXD album purchase! And I love the fact that Native DSD is comping the DSD versions for us to compare (or vice versa).

Certainly the best recorded Mahler 3rd in my library. Absolutely stunnig sonics. Not sure it beats out the MTT, Zander, Chailly, or Salonen, already in my library. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Russell_L said:

Both violinist and conductor are new to me, but darned if they didn't produce one of the sweetest and most compelling performances of these works I've heard.  Gorgeous sound as well.  Plus, at only 5.99 euros (even less if you're outside the EU) for the 96/24 stereo download directly from Audite, it was a no-brainer.

https://www.audite.de/en/product/CD/97733-prokofiev_violin_concertos.html  (watch the making-of video!)

Russell

97733-prokofiev_violin_concertos.jpg

Nice find! Thank you. I'll check it out.