7 hours ago, Musicophile said:

m9ndrumpeuaib_600.jpg

Alexander Melnikov’s latest release. Four composers on four different pianos. Both beautiful and insightful. 

Streaming from Qobuz 

I do like Melnikov and all of these composers but this one leaves me untouched, don't know why. Very good sound though but I just don't understand why he picked those pieces of music. But then again, I am no musician and mostly do not grasp the intellectual aspects of classical music. Music has to touch my heart and this one does not. But that's only me.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎11 at 1:25 AM, Hugo9000 said:

Jean Sibelius

Symphony No. 1

Osmo Vänskä/Minnesota Orchestra

Current favorite recording of this symphony, although that changes, I have 6 other recordings I also love, and they each have something wonderful that the others don't quite match.

Sibelius 1 Vanska.jpg

Oh yes, absolutely +1

And don't forget the other two recordings in the series.

0.jpg

b.jpg

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎10 at 1:45 PM, Musicophile said:

Agree, just bought it yesterday as well. A review is in the making.

Often I value your reviews and insights but not in this case ;) Why? because I have already made up my mind. This one is just beautiful. I have both Kempff on DG and Brautigam on BIS (all of Beethoven's sonatas) and really like most of them very very much. Kempff may be considered by some as being just a little bit too restrained but there is something about his playing that just keeps me listening and Brautigam perhaps just the opposite of Kempff, very vivid and sometimes furious. Some might say slightly over the edge but oh so captivating.

BUT Perahia OMG - to my ears the best Mondschein I've ever heard and the Hammerklavier quite convincing as well. A must have! 

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...