Classical music, or, in this case, a classically based composer are hardly my area of expertise, but I seem to pick my spots well enough, mostly. This was in the new, "Stereophile Records To Die For" listing. I like Part, and this is a superbly performed cd of some beautiful and moving music:

614w3kAZzbL._SX522_.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Just plain old sailing down memory lane tonight. :)

357156355_ScreenShot2019-03-21at10_19_39PM.thumb.png.20aeddd0a493fdb6c8e46dbcf59dc3b1.png

Part Of The Plan 3:17

Heart Hotels 4:14

Hard To Say 3:58

Longer 3:14

Missing You 4:39

The Power Of Gold 4:27

Make Love Stay 4:32

Leader Of The Band 4:15

Run For The Roses 4:16

Same Old Lang Syne 5:17

Dan, we lost you far too early. A completely unique singer and songwriter. He is sorely missed. 

JC

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Maybe they think the Dutch have a better taste.. 9_9

But seriously - I agree, I also think the one I posted is better.

This is obviously kitschy but could e.g. Beethoven's 9th Finale be performed by an orchestra and rappers instead of a choir in an interesting, creative way and if so would you guys be ready to applaud such a performance?

I would if rap was actually music, but it's been pretty clearly identified that it isn't. It is other things, including, obviously, a performance and also a social statement in it's superior implementations, but not music. 

JC

5 hours ago, ronfint said:

I saw Robert Glasper last week at the North Sea Jazz Festival (Rotterdam, by the way). His playing was wonderful and in direct contradiction to your statement. In one of his appearances he performed with Yasiin Bey.

I will admit I had no idea who Robert Glasper is, but in doing a quick search found this:

"Robert Glasper (born April 5, 1978, in Houston, Texas) is an American singer, pianist and record producer. He has been nominated for 7 Grammy Awards"

He clearly does not appear to be associated in any way with rap.

JC

53 minutes ago, firedog said:

Am now listening to a Robert Glasper mix:

61wOpBnoUHL._SX425_.jpg

91vwmUH1DFL._SS500_.jpg

He most definitely is "associated". Look up his album "Black Radio" or his tribute to Miles Davis "Everything's Beautiful" and tell me he isn't. But then admit it isn't exactly like your apparently limited definition of "rap".

But he's also "associated" with some very sophisticated modern jazz, among other things. Funny how many talented musicians don't fit into the stereotypes audiences try to trap them in. 

cover.jpg

I'm actually not a rap fan and I promise Chris, that I won't continue the argument about rap. 

cover.jpg

My apologies for the inaccuracy , I did a quick check, and just quoted the primary statement of his Wikipedia listing. I wasn't professing to any familiarity or knowledge of his overall musical or non musical background.

JC

Wonderful album by a very unique gifted singer, songwriter and pianist. It's been in regular rotation in my system:

'Some of the most beautiful music I’ve ever heard...intelligent, lyrically complex and interesting…just absolutely wonderful'

- Alex Preston, Saturday Review, BBC Radio 4

'Ethereal and beautiful' - Katie Derham, In Tune, BBC Radio 3 

image.jpeg.214058981028f4704b4210bfa1a6e20a.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 3:32 PM, kumakuma said:

Great album!

I'm sure you know this but there are two versions of this album - the original release and the soundtrack from the movie which is essentially Bruce and his band playing the album live in his barn.

BTW, I highly recommend the movie to anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'll second recommending the movie. WELL worth watching! 

JC

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Why no, Chris, but I am honored you are thinking about me when listening, so I will hop on it.  I am sadly behind in listening to the solo Radiohead stuff, even Thom's music sometimes.  I hate that I do not have my audiophile system re-setup yet, but I hate more that I use this excuse to get lazy about new music....I mean, I do have Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music etc etc and need to listen as a music lover more than an audiophile :)

I know how you could rectify that problem Ted! :)

JC