• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Will report back on the others (most of them long overdue, like Staier's Diabelli, Cassandra Wilson's latest, Charlie Haden & Jim Hall, but also the brand new Shai Maestro Trio album "Untold Stories").

The Charlie Haden / Jim Hall has been in heavy rotation on my setup - great album!

Alongside this old favorite ...

Saxophone_Colossus_-_Sonny_Rollins.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Paul Simon- Graceland

Thanks for bringing up this. I went over to the Paul Simon website and found the 25th Anniversary Edition. For fans of Paul Simon there are some neat offers available right now including a 2CD/DVD box set as well as a special 180gm 12" Vinyl edition.

Paul Simon Graceland 25th Anniversary Music | The Official Paul Simon Site

120328_graceland25_pdt.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Another recent purchase from Qobuz - on promotion now for 10EUR double disk.

Paolo Fresu with his 5et recorded in 2008 in Italy. Fantastic music, captured with good quality. I like very much the interplay and sound of Paolo's horn/trumpet and Fazioli grand piano - stunning.

Excellent recommendation! Thank you very much.

Thanks for this, oso ....

Also and somewhat off topic, I love the iconic and eery original cover art on this album.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19353[/ATTACH]

+1

Yes, Art + Eleven is a brilliant album! Actually many others by Art, including MSFL, the way it was!, Hybrid SACD.

Best,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19468[/ATTACH]

Was going to mention "The Way It Was ..." but you beat me to it.

Spent all last night listening to these albums.

Thanks for the link - very interesting read. Is that a typo at the bottom of the article where both Sax and Grundmann's versions have been given the same reference?

Art Pepper meets the Rhythm Section was originally Contemporary Stereo S7532. Sax’s remastered reissue is CAPJS 010, Grundman’s version is CAPJS 010.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Eliane is one of my favorites. You should check out some of her early albums. Fantasia, with Eddie Gomez and Jack DeJohnette, is pretty great. She's also well worth seeing live.

--David

Thank you for the recommendation. I do not have Fantasia. Several others including her homage to Bill Evans. I agree though I have never attended a live performance. She's also worth seeing, period (smile).

Enjoy the music,

Richard

... and even better to listen to! Beautiful Bossa Nova voice that I can listen to for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
Nikhil, thanks for calling this to my attention. Is the audio on the DVD high-res?

(DVD is US$14.99 at marsalismusic.com. Pretty good deal either way.)

--David

Sorry David, I really don't know if the DVD contains an audio version of the album.

I have the Okeh Records CD version and it sounds fantastic.

Thank you David and Nikhil and Branford et al. On it's way.

Best,

Richard

Most welcome Richard. I think you will like it!

Not a problem. I realized after I posted that you might be referring to the CD. Still, I'm now plagued by indecision: CD or DVD?

David, I looked up the reviews on the DVD and most of them are very positive on the video.

I don't think you would regret the decision one way or the other.

• 1 month later...

Joe Cocker - Sheffield Steel

Sitting here listening to some good old "slow cooking" (from the Rolling Stone review) music from Joe Cocker. To borrow another line from that same review, "Cocker and band let these songs get there when they get there ... "

MI0001559080.jpg

I'm going to present something a little different tonight and hope y'all will bear with me as I honor our local boy done good-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21692[/ATTACH]

When you're from a town of 2,000, this is a big deal.

Matter of fact, it don't get no bigger.

Video: Don Henley | Watch Austin City Limits Online | PBS Video

Hope you enjoy him as much as we have....

Thanks for sharing! Have been listening to "Cass County" all weekend.