• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Kempff's interpretations are of course very good, although I tend to prefer Arthur Schnabel (in much inferior sound quality), Yves Nat, Rudolf Serkin or, for a bit of period-instrument fun, Ronald Brautigam.
I guess DG remastered its second, stereo set of Kempff's Beethoven? By some reason I prefer earlier mono. Artur Schnabel's set is available in several editions, some of them sounds better than others. Some prefer Naxos, others Pearl or Dante, Membran sounds best for me. You may want to check what will sound better for you, given the merits of this first ever recording of the cycle it might be very rewarding quest. I agree with your recommendation of Brautigam and would like to add recent Michael Korstick set as another new one which would be interesting for checking. From earlier ones I love first Philips set from Alfred Brendel. Of course, I see no point to doubt everybody will have its own preferences among tens and tens of available sets...)
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your views and recommendations. As I keep listening to Kempff's stereo recordings, my appreciation of his interpretations is growing, especially for the middle sonatas. For the early ones, I decidedly prefer Brautigam. For the final ones, I find Serkin (ÖRF-DG 1980s live recording) and Richter (1963 Leipzig live recording - Parnassus CD) hard to beat.
Thank you for reply. Many years ago I had some Richter recordings of sonatas which I liked then, but not anymore. Fortunately, we have a huge variety of Beethoven sonatas recordings to choose from today.
  • 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28773[/ATTACH]

Yes another new Goldberg by a very talented artist. I'm still making up my mind on the interpretation.

In any case, the harpsichord sounds quite different (very nice actually) to my other recordings.

Didn't hear this one yet, but I am sure interested. Reminded me that there are Goldbergs from another Iranian guy, Ramin Bahrami, which is very special. Do you have it?
(...) Note that the Bahrami is on modern piano while the Esfahani is on harpsichord. (...) Esfahani takes a lot of liberties even with the Aria, I'm still not sure I'm fully convinced but this may need some more time. (...) Do you refer to his recording on Decca?
1. Of course, I remember it, I was just glad some interesting modern Bach renditions originated from such unusual place as Iran. Even if both musicians currently live in the West what I presume. 2. I didn't hear Esfahani's Goldbergs in its entirety yet, but from short Aria snippet I realized how different it is. 3. Yes, I believe it was on Decca (I am traveling now away from my hd archive..)
Yes, Bahrami grew up in Germany from a very young age according to Wikipedia, and Esfahani lives in the UK to my knowledge.
I was listening Esfahani yesterday evening. Yes, he tells his very own story with some unusual accents. By some analogy I recalled Goldbergs from Taiwanese Chen Pi-hsien (piano). Do you know it?

2.jpg

and another not well known performance with its own uniqueness of quite different kind would worth a listening, that is from Japanese Ito Ema (piano):

1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Alice Sara Ott: Wonderland

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29177[/ATTACH]

A very good Grieg album by young German/Japanese pianist Alice Sara Ott.

<...>

I was listening to this one, no ignition happened... Also some other of her recordings, as Beethoven which includes my dearly loved 3d with mostly the same result. She recorded a program of Russian ballet music with another young-very-promising pianist, Francesco Tristano. Do you listen him? One of his albums would be a shock for Bach's purists (I am thinking about very last track):

Tristano_bachCage_Front.jpg

The Ghazal album "Moon Rise Over the Silk Road" was my first exposure. I was really taken with the music. He is a virtuoso from a great Persian classical music tradition, and merits more attention.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29314[/ATTACH]

I should have couple of Ghazal albums from him in original Iranian editions. Great music.

This is an amazing album! Thanks once more! Can you recommend some other musicians from this part of the world.?

Mohammad Reza Shajarian is very good. You may want to check Hossein Alizadeh, Dariush Talai, Ali-Akbar Moradi. Alim Qasimov from Azerbaijan would be recommended as well. Lot of great Turkish musicians are not far away from this tradition, some of them recorded together with Kayhan Kalhor, and others.

I never had the impression that Brendel recorded much of Bach's work relative to the scope of his discography. Interesting that he regrets never having committed the Goldbergs to record.
Some of the greatest pianists had extremely limited repertoire. Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli first comes to mind.