• 6 years later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, biosailor said:

Call it Jazz, Fusion Jazz, Funk Jazz, whatever. It's a great groovy album!

DB_EN.jpg.7784029e19d1a2300cab2f57a419026a.jpg

Big “+1”. A fabulous album. Thanks for posting this. It's been a long time since I've played it. I've obviously been wasting my time.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I would if rap was actually music, but it's been pretty clearly identified that it isn't. It is other things, including, obviously, a performance and also a social statement in it's superior implementations, but not music. 

JC

I saw Robert Glasper last week at the North Sea Jazz Festival (Rotterdam, by the way). His playing was wonderful and in direct contradiction to your statement. In one of his appearances he performed with Yasiin Bey.

12 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

I will admit I had no idea who Robert Glasper is, but in doing a quick search found this:

"Robert Glasper (born April 5, 1978, in Houston, Texas) is an American singer, pianist and record producer. He has been nominated for 7 Grammy Awards"

He clearly does not appear to be associated in any way with rap.

JC

Take a look at Black Radio and Black Radio 2, for example. As I said, he performed in Rotterdam with Yasiin Bey (Mos Def). Much of what Glasper plays is the reworking of rap songs — like the version of “I’m Dying of Thirst” that I posted. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, firedog said:

Like it. Never heard of them before. Thanks. 

Glad to hear this. I like that album a lot. It's from “The Music Of” series of Studio Pigalle. Here's another from the series that I like

Le Temps Fou - The Music of Marion Brown / Jonathan Jurion

6FE4F6E6-1734-4888-923D-1B3D3F97C5DE.thumb.jpeg.6d983046fd96f16ec5c1148260e7674e.jpeg

Also, I'm looking forward to the release in two weeks of

Timbuktu - The Music of Randy Weston / Cheick Tidiane Seck

31030721-CAEF-4544-BA27-003A69584759.thumb.jpeg.10e466391ede838d2853a907768c34f2.jpeg

It promises to be my favorite yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keith Jarrett / Back Hand (1974)

OK, of course Keith Jarrett is one of the great jazz pianists of all time, but I find a lot of his albums soporific. (I know, my taste is lacking.)  For example, within five minutes of dropping the needle (figuratively) on ‘Koln Concert’, I find myself reading op eds in the NY Times or Wash Post. But this album is something very different — it’s exciting. I came upon it while browsing ‘Jazz Beat’ in the Steve Hoffman forums. 

Along with Jarrett are Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, and Guilherme Franco (percussion). This is music worth listening to.

658CDB0D-EC4E-486F-8EDD-A40922271144.thumb.jpeg.f0a827cef790dde001184c44d5576948.jpeg