I've really been enjoying checking this post regularly for ideas of new and not-so-new things to listen to. Tonight I listened to something from the latter category: the 1960 Original Broadway Cast recording of the musical Camelot with Richard Burton, Julie Andrews, and Robert Goulet. This was one of my first experiences with hi-fi, when I often heard it playing in my uncle's living room in glorious mono on a huge folded corner horn speaker that he had built. I later discovered that the album is a rather fun example of the early use of stereo recording, often positioning the actors where they might have appeared or moved about the stage. And of course, the music and performances are first-rate. If you're interested, try to obtain the remastered Columbia CD - it sounds more like my memory of the original vinyl than the first CD that was released.

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was hoping to go see these two young artists perform locally next month but it isn't turning out to be a good time for live performances. I thought it would be interesting to see how they make the combination of acoustic guitar and jazz trombone work. Fortunately, I have had plenty of time to find and listen to their new album. They make it work!

Setting Rays of Summer by Natalie Cressman & Ian Faquini

https://open.qobuz.com/album/b3xl94ariovjc

spacer.png

• 6 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 10:53 PM, orresearch said:

This is the 2020 release and newly recorded version.  But I m so fond of the old version that I have a hard time with the new version.  Anyone shares the same feeling ?    To me, his more mellow singing in this just, regretfully, could not match the passion and edge exhibited in the original.

Cover.jpg

Yes. Best to view it as a sentimental revisiting of a great work of art. But now that I have heard it, I feel no need to do so again.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...