• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Keith Jarrett Jan Garbarek Palle Danielsson Jon Christenssen: Sleeper: Tokyo, April 16, 1979 Disc 2. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. More involving.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1576[/ATTACH]

Great evening of music to relax by,

Richard

This one is now available in 24/96 on Highresaudio. Would the sound quality be worth it?

HIGHRESAUDIO | Home of audiophile music - Keith Jarrett - Sleeper

If you are asking me personally, have not heard the DL. The redbook 2 disc edition is very good re SQ. I also believe HDtracks has added sleeper to their catalogue.

Best,

Richard

Thanks. Just for clarification, I was referring to the sound quality of the recording you already have. Anyhow, ECM stuff is usually well recorded.

Ah, that is what I thought was the meaning of your communication. My experience is that ECM is usually well recorded as you state. Sometimes on my system, slightly over bright.

Sleeper 2 Disc edition, I hear as very good in SQ. I have a fairly comprehensive Keith Jarrett collection and wanted the "hard copy" to add to. As your query to me concerns specifically the redbook 2Disc CD, I would not hesitate to purchase that edition. I was tempted to purchase the HDtracks DL at 96/24, but, honestly, the Sleeper edition I have converted by XLD to AIFF is very satisfactory. If you decide to add the redbook edition, I'll be happy to hear about your assessment.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Thanks. I'm with you, if I have something in redbook, I usually don't buy it again in 24/96 unless it is one of my absolute favorite albums. However, I don't have it yet, so I was wondering whether the sound quality of the recording is good enough so that hires can actually make a difference.

I'll probably give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Katia Buniatishvilli: Liszt (redbook rip)

Katia Buniatishvili_ Franz Liszt.png

Her debut album. The interpretation of the great b-minor sonata has been rather controversially reviewed, either you love it or you hate it. On my side, it is one of my preferred versions of this great piece of art. There's just so much energy. Feels very much like Martha Argerich.

Tord Gustavsen: The Well (24/96 Qobuz):

Beautifully played, beautifully recorded. This album really breathes.

The Well [24_92].jpg

I picked up four CDs today really cheap ($10.00) and I am enjoying those this evening.

• The Notting Hillbillies - Missing...Presumed Having Fun

A nice countryish evening

The Notting Hillbillies I go back to once a year (however, also not more often) since nearly 20 years when that album came out. I used to use that album (Vinyl) quite regularly for hifi testing purposed (especially Your Own Sweet Way). And Feel Like Going Home makes me sentimental every time I hear it, not matter how cheesy it is.

Another title in common. Some of the best phrasing on tenor and soprano I have heard (I know how good the others are, but...)

and along with his father Ellis, masterfully on piano, Loved Ones XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Another beautiful duet and as father and son.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2337[/ATTACH]

Thanks for flagging this one, don't have it yet. Looks very tempting, will check it out.

And just noticed I misspelled poor Branford.

If Anton Bruckner had written a Piano Concerto, here's what it would sound like:

115297759.jpg

As much as I love Zimerman, this is not his greatest performance ever (granted, the 80's Karajan style didn't help, it get's close to his notorious Tchaikovsky 1 with Kissin), but I still listen to it every once in a while as it is really so different.

I am intrigued: are you referring to Schumann's or Grieg's piano concerto on this disc?

Mainly referring to the Schumann: Karajan conducts this in a way and with a tone that reminds me strongly of his great Brucker recordings, especially in the 2nd and 3rd movement.