IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

I got a similar response from them a few weeks ago. Hearing the wishes of their customer base (and future customers) will only motivate them more.

"

The ability to playback standard DSD or SACD ISO file is being investigated, but at this time we do not know if these features will be added to the player due to licensing or other software and/or hardware restrictions.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.

"

My Mains

Well, I was not really too interested in ripping SACDs for simple reason that I have only one SACD. But being a geek as I am, just couldn't resist the challenge. So I found miself a perfectly working PS3 with 80 Gig HD and OS 3.15 from a guy who didn't realize what he was selling for $100. After educating myself in the gaming hardware and software and updating to kmeaw 3.55 software and installing SACD ripper, I managed to rip my one and only SACD to .ISO and convert it to PCM. How exciting. I might be buying more SACDs now, thank you Mr. Wicked ;)

As Tommy Lee Jones said in MIB: "I will have to buy the White Album all over again"

DS411+II <-> Mac Mini -> El cheapo 1 ft USB Cable -> QB9 -> Tyr XLR -> YBA Passion Integre 300 -> Auditorium 23 -> Vaughn Cabernets

Sorry for asking totally basic questions here.  I am a Linux blind and all those compiling instructions are Greek to me.

Anyway I just bought a used PS3 with old firmware Nd will try to download the binaries available and following the instructions to load the Linux and ripper.

What I couldn't find is the actual instructions to run the ripper program.  Is this a pure command line affair or is it GUI based and magically appear in the menu?  

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Just get the ripper.pkg and the sacd-extract.exe from site available. Check out the thread i referenced for latest compiled apps.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/36026-SACD-DFF-file-extraction-backups

It's easy, no command line stuff. Or PM me your email.

OK thanks to your instructions I got everything installed. But I went into problems when trying to rip. I tried a few hybrid SACDs and the ripper is telling me the disc is not recognized as an SACD.

So I tried a single layer SACD and now it seems to be ripping happily.

Any clue if there is a fix to this?

thanks

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Ted, I am sorry did you send me some file links? I do not recall receiving any file links from you. I just searched for the pkg files from Google.

thanks

Sorry ted I was being thick. I kept looking for my PM. Received your instructions/files now. Will update you later. Since it is late here and I have a morning meeting tomorrow I may not get to try again until tomorrow.

Thanks again for being so helpful

BTW I did rip a single layer SACD, converted to 24/176.4 PCM and it sounded very good.

BTW is 24/176 the best rate Vs 192?

integer multiples of DSD (meaning 88.2k or 176.4k).

Also, if you get a hybrid that is not recognized try this:

* stop SACD-ripper (Ps# button) and go to music menu and let the PS3 load and play the SACD (not the redbook layer). Stop the music. Get out of the music section (PS3 button) and go back to the ripper. It should be there.

Ted, sir, you ROCK.

I got your latest build of the ripper and it worked! Started to rip a Gene Harris hybrid SACD and it looks like all system go.

Sorry to keep asking random questions, my previous rip defaulted to separate DFF files. I don't seem to find the instructions of how to specify single ISO file or separate DFF files. May I ask how to tell the ripper to go either way?

Once again thank you for being so helpful, when you come to Hong Kong you know who to call for a beer/coffee or lunch.

Spoke too soon. The rip seems to finish but when I bring the USB drive over to my computer the drive has no music files in it.

I must have done something silly, trying it again.

OK it worked and ripped to a single ISO file this time around.

Not sure what happened last time, it told me the rip completed successfully but no files were placed in the drive. Anyway all is well now.

I am still puzzled as to how the program decide to rip to ISO or DFF files, or was it version dependent?

ISO -> stereo DIFF -> stereo DSF -> multichannel, etc etc using the orange "O" button on the far right of your controller. It will eventually cycle back to "ISO". Then hit "X" to begin.

I tried that and for some reason the "o" button only starts the rip, and x key stops it. I tried all other keys and none seemed to do anything...

My x key does not start the rip as indIcated by the on screen instructions. But it does not seem to cycle thru the options either...

Not sure if this is the issue anyone is having, but in Japan and certain parts of Asia, the circle button performs what the X button does on U.S. and European consoles and vice versa. Not sure if anyone is having issues because of that, but X is not always X.

If this sounds confusing, I have one of each and have to think of which one I am using before I can press a button!

Yes it is a sixaxis

And yes I think the x And o are reversed, but x did not seem to toggle anything. Perhaps I need to pay closer attention. Am in bed now so can't try till later.

Just want to update Ted and those who helped out that everything is working perfectly now. The X and O on the SIXAXIS controller was reversed for my machine, and the X did cycle thru the rip options perfectly. Thanks for the help, can't wait till my DAC becomes DSD capable.

Thanks to beautiful people like Wicked who wrote the wonder SACD-ripper and Ted who guided me through my confusion, I have been blissfully ripping the DSD layers off my largish SACD collection, and converted them to 24/176.4 which sounds wonderful through my DAC. I can not wait when dCS issue their DSD firmware upgrade.

Anyway I have been using another wonderful and free software Audiogate from KORG, which converts DSF files to 24/176.4 with nary any trouble. I do have a couple of questions that some of you may be able to answer:

1. Filer: There is an option in the Audiogate program to set the 2.8MHz->176.4/192kHz Outband Filter to:

- "low-pass filter with sharp roll-off (-3dB@42kHz);

- "low-pass filter with soft roll-off (-3dB@50kHz)" or

- "No filter".

The default is "low-pass filter with sharp roll-off (-3dB@42kHz)"

My question is how does one make the decision of which filter to apply? And what difference would it make in sound quality, if any?

2. Quality of software: Does it make a difference if I am using free software Audiogate or expensive software like Saracon? In other words is the conversion from DSD to PCM a straight forward process? Or is there a degree of artistic license applied?

Its probably not going to make a lot of sonic difference, depending on the frequency response of your DAC, preamp, amp, speakers. Few speaker systems generate audio at 50kHZ plus and most taper off from 20Khz. Many amps are wideband (up to 100khz)but many DACS are not. You would need to see what makes sense to your other system components, whether the DSD noise shaping frequencies bother you or not (45Khz and up), whether you believe that the human body can hear or sense (i.e affect brain activity) frequencies over 20kHz or not.

If in doubt try each filter on a familiar piece of music, that you suspect has high frequency music i.e loud cymbal splash, and do comparative listening. Remember that sound waves modulate one another and that high frequency waves can and do change or interact with lower frequency waves. Usually these are captured by the recording already modulated

Another variable might be the source recordings for your SACD collection. Pure DSD recordings you might want to leave unfiltered. Mid last century analog recordings will not be affected by the filter settings.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com