IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

First, thanks for your patience. I went back read completely through the links and have 7 successful rips and conversions to 24/192. On some SACD's however (Telarc Firebird) SACD Ripper locks up when reading the first track, so I ripped an ISO file - seemed to work at 1.8Gig file size. When I try to extract the DSD files (or any of them) using sacd-extract(scarletbook.exe) I get all the tracks incorrectly as extremely small files. I gather from the posts that ISO extraction is preferable because extracting an ISO file saves on the wear/tear of the PS3 SACD drive, correct?

When SACD-Ripper locks up, it appears the only way to reset is to turn off the PS3. I was trying to see if maybe I have an old version-but couldn't tell from the onscreen menus. The sacd-ripper.pkg file is 194K.

Thank you!

make sure you use "extract DST stereo" on Firebird as it is DST-encoded within that disc. Using "extract DSD" will result in unusable DIFF files, created in short time.

Two Questions:

1) Any recommendations for brand of removable media (DVD-R's) to use? Any brands to avoid?

2) Here's a hypothetical scenario:

* I backup one of my sacd's to ISO and store on HDD.

* I burn the ISO to a DVD-R after my original SACD breaks.

* My PS3 breaks.

* The HDD storing the original ISO dies.

After such an string of bad luck, can I re-backup the burned DVD-R to ISO for later reburning with something like DVDFab? Or will my computer think it is an SACD and fail to read it, just like it fails to read the original?

My Mains

And yes, the SACD-R (as we call it) will be read by your SACD player (or universal player) as an SACD, unrippable by anything but a custom PS3. One word: backups.

I have been looking at some PS3 to buy at ebay, but how can I find out if it reads SACD? How can I find out if it has firmware not higher than 3.55 (instructions I should give the seller to check)?

Thanks

Cable Modem w/Mojo 5 power-> Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal-> Totaldac server-> Totaldac Twelve SE-> CH Precision L1+X1-> 2x Krell FPB 750mcx-> Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers  Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Echole Omnia 2x XLR and 3x AES, Totaldac Gigafilter USB,  Other: Echole Omnia power cables, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, four dedicated 20A lines

The only PS3 models eligible. Once you determine if you are bidding on an eligible machine (correct hard drive size, etc is easy first qualifier) then ask the seller what firmware it is currently at. If he/she has it boxed up you are out of luck, of course...and would need to assume that most gamers update to current firmware all the time (due to most new game requirements).

Hello Jeff,

Thanks. Sorry if I was not clear. This is the point, they don't say.

I would like to know how to explain to a seller how can he:

- Check if the device can read SACD (the seller probably uses for gaming and usually does have the original manual anymore)

- Check the current version of the devices firmware.

Thanks.

Cable Modem w/Mojo 5 power-> Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal-> Totaldac server-> Totaldac Twelve SE-> CH Precision L1+X1-> 2x Krell FPB 750mcx-> Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers  Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Echole Omnia 2x XLR and 3x AES, Totaldac Gigafilter USB,  Other: Echole Omnia power cables, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, four dedicated 20A lines

Ask the seller the model number! And ask the seller to go to settings and check the firmware number, but good luck as it's likely already boxed up. My seller knew it cuz he kept it low for some playability reason

The box will have the SACD logo on it if it originally had compatibility. That is no guarantee that a subsequent firmware upgrade didn't remove it.

As for how to check the firmware, a PS3 owner will need to answer that ... I am a few steps behind you and haven't looked to buy one yet. Soon, but not yet. :)

Jeff

Ted_b,

Thank you. I have now found your table.

Cheers,

Vicente

Is there a Mac binary version of sacd_extract.exe (scarletbook.exe) ? I am having some issues with the source code so I just can't compile it on my Mac (long story).

DS411+II <-> Mac Mini -> El cheapo 1 ft USB Cable -> QB9 -> Tyr XLR -> YBA Passion Integre 300 -> Auditorium 23 -> Vaughn Cabernets

(posted this to another forum, but I really want to get these ?S answered before I continue ripping SACDs)

Hi,

So I got sacd-ripper installed & working. This is great!

I have some ?s...1st some background:

I ripped, as an ISO, the Beautiful Mind soundtrack. Stereo/mch layers, no CD layer, 16 tracks. I got 2 ISO files, as expected; total size 4.27gb. Joined with HJSplit, burned with ImgBurn...disc plays great in my Oppo BDP-83 (both layers present too).

My questions:

1) sacd-ripper says the version is 0.30. Is this the most recent working version?

2) For archiving purposes, should I keep the .001 & .002 files or the joined ISO? Just want to back up the right thing to my hard drive.

3) The rip process itself was strange. It said "Area: mch" during the whole rip (never said stereo). It said it was only ripping 2 tracks, even though there are 16. Track 1 accounted for 90% of the rip, track 2 the remaining 10%. It's as if the whole status gauge was displaying the wrong info based on what was actually being ripped. It took 30 mins for the rip, also as expected. Should I be concerned that the ISO isn't a perfect rip of the original even though the burned copy seems ok?

Thanks,

Chris

"The box will have the SACD logo on it if it originally had compatibility. That is no guarantee that a subsequent firmware upgrade didn't remove it."

There is no firmware update that removes the ability of a PS3 to play SACDs. If a PS3 has SACD playback hardware, it continues to play them.

Recent firmware only renders the ripper package unusable. Not SACDs themselves.

Hi,

I dowloaded the sa-cd ripper source code using:

svn checkout http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ sacd-ripper-read-only

The downloaded code is rev 275.

After package compilation on my Ubuntu Linux box (having the automake-1.7 warning that I ignore) I got sacd-ripper-read-only.pkg that I succesfully installed on my CFW PS3.

Running the sacd-ripper application, it shows that the version is 0.21, but I know that the last version is 0.30.

Also, the PC tool to extract tracks from ISO that I compile with MSVC is named scarletbook instead of sacd-extract that I know to be the new name.

Someone can help me to clarify this issues?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I made an app for sonore/vortexbox to help convert the .dff files to flac with metadata embedded. Here is a preview of the web interface that allows you to select the output sample rate and lets one track the progress of the conversion...

www.sonore.us/Sonore_Apps.jpg

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Update: I just completed two Sonore prototypes (one low power and one with a bit more power) that have real time playback support of DSDIFF (.dff) files at 24/352.8, 24/176.4 and 24/88.2 via USB and I2S output. This includes the proper volume adjustment and low pass filter per the DSD specification. It should be available on Vortexbox soon...

no streaming (streaming is a function of packets across TCP/IP). I know people are using the term "streaming" fairly generically but it's not streaming.

Yes, Foobar2000 (pc based player) can read SACD ISO's from your local drive and play them. It requires a plug in. Googling it should find it.

there is a PlugIn for Foobar 2000, which enables reading and converting SACD-ISOs "on the fly" for instant playback ...

heres the link for the PlugIn:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

But be aware that a lot of SACDs are "encoded" as DST, which has to be also decoded "on the fly", and this might add (some / a lot) of CPU time for the process (whilst the decoding/conversion to PCM of non DST encoded diasc doesn't need to much beef here ...).

But, hey, it's free, so just try for yourself (and maybe report back ;-) )

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Gotcha on the no "streaming" if content is local. My understanding was that any realtime playing of audio/video data coming off a network, as opposed to physical media in the player, was streaming.

My context/application is home theater and Blu-rays, DVD's, DVD-A and SACD all on a media server. I have yet to decide on a networked device in the theater to pass the audio/video to my system, so I am still researching the best way to do that. My short list .. at least at this time ... is Popcorn Hour, Dune and XMBC. Whatever I do, I want one solution that allows me to seamlessly switch between my content. So, I'm thinking Foobar won't be part of the solution.

Jeff

I recently emailed Oppo regarding sacd iso's and DSD streaming. They wrote back and said they are working on it. They do not know if and when such a feature will be added via firmware. The fact that they replied affirmatively at all is great news. Sounds like if they figure it out they don't appear to have a problem releasing it. Could be good news!

August,

The ability to playback DSD and SACD backups are being considered, but at this time we do not know when, or if, we will be able to add this support to a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Nice one Bleed....

"when it happens, ket me know,

And then I'll surely get an Oppo.."

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I can assure you if that ever happens I will be locked in my media cave for a period of at least two or three weeks...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]