IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

as the sacd-extract.exe or scarletbook.exe, and they are the same type (i.e DST only or non-DST only) the subsequent bat file works on "n" number of them. Let it run all night if you need.

The reality is that the majority of source files for published Super-Audio Cd's are not themselves native DSD. The best database of pure DSD recordings is at sa-cd.net on this URL http://www.sa-cd.net/dsd some 1500 recordings (This will be a slight understatement because not all SACD's disclose recording technology in enough detail), most of them classical or jazz.

There are a lot of surround recordings for example that are 48/24 PCM. There are a lot of 96/24 recordings as well. 88.2 is a popular choice. There are also a not inconsiderable no of SACD releaes that started out as analog tape recordings. Many of these analog recordings can substantially benefit by being captured by DSD Analog to digital converters (i.e Grimm) while PCM is also used for this purpose. Many old three channel and quadraphonic recordings have been digitally resurrected by Channel Classics and Analogue Productions for example. There are legions of old analogue jazz recordings reissued as SACd's (that sound fantastic).

At the end of the day SACD is utilized as a medium to transport better than CD quality audio, in many cases multiple full range channels, without the navigation hassles of DVD-V/A and it can originate from many sources. Some people prefer DSD recorded mixed and mastered recordings (probably because such recordings are undertaken by meticulous audiophile engineers), many others seek out the best performance irrespective of the quality of sound, and others still choose the best sonics irrespective of the originating source.

In many cases we dont have any choice with the source since the recording predates DSD or high rate PCM. There must be tens upon tens of thousands of analog tapes that deserve the analog->DSD treatment and tens of thousands of 14-20 bit PCM recordings that will never benefit from the SACD treatment (However many digital recordings have analog backups from the recording sessions that might).

What seems clear is that there are very few cases where 16 bit audio has been released on SACD, and in those cases they tend to be associated with surround sound recordings. As a result the vast majority of SACD's improve on reb book audio

There is a lot of arguing and bickering about the benefit of SACD on really old recordings i.e pre 1950, 78's etc. But if they are to be preserved from deterioration and loss why not preserve them in the highest quality possible.

A lot of previously released SACD's are turning up on HDTracks. The HDtracks file is in most cases representative of what was the original recording (Because HDtracks does not make available DSD, some DSD transfers from analog (Rolling Stones) or recordings will be transcoded to PCM).

In the case of your specific SACD Ray Sings Basie Swings this particular album is a hybrid or amalgam of 1970's analog recordings of Ray Charles with modern digital recordings by the Count Basie less Count Basie Orchestra, hand assembled in a digital audio workstation (presumably the analog tapes were digitized at 96/24 as well). So its a bit of an oddity in the SACD world.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

I think DSD-capble DACs will showcase those pure DSD recordings (1,500+) and could very well be revelatory with those older analog tapes that were carefully archived or mastered to DSD......it will be very exciting to hear the early feedback once the updated PD's and Myteks of the world (and to a lesser extent the DIY crowd with the TP's, etc) get out there and mix with the smattering of DSD download sites and those newly ripped personal SACD collections. It may even spurn more sales of SACD's and other things DSD. (OK, I'm on drugs, sorry).

However, they may also show those PCM-based sources for SACD to be the lesser of their DVD-Audio (or direct download) 2nd cousins (one conversion less removed). Certainly their DIFF-to-PCM home brewed conversions are.

I can't believe how awesome the sound is streaming native DSD. There is a much larger existing catalog of excellent hi-res DSD than any other hi-res format.

I truly believe that DAC manufacturers that support the DSD format will rightfully have an advantage over their competitors.

I totally agree with Ted. SACD sales will increase especially as it gets easier and easier to rip them.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I have tried to install both OtherOS++ 3.55 and kmeaw 3.55 without success ... Ps3 keeps telling me my system is already updated to 3.55. I tried the recovery method as well without luck. Two questions.

1. If I am successful in installing the custom firmware will the ps3 tell me I have the new firmware in it's menu, ie. "3.55 OtherOS++"?

2. I can't see how to access .pkg files. Does this only appear after installation of the custom firmware?

Thanks Ted_b! Btw, what is better to use Linux(otherOS) on kmeau in your opinion?

Number of new first-time sacd player buyers v. number new and old computer audiophiles without sacd player or little interest in spinning SACDs. It's all about sound AND convenience. Up until this point, why has HDTracks been so successful for the record companies if they are releasing material in flac? The only real loser here will be HDTracks.

You are correct that there will be a hand full of folks that will choose to steal instead of buy but those will only be a few in comparison to the rest. It would be interesting to have a poll to help answer some of these predictions.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

h??p://jere.my/?page=writings&sub_page=archive&display=0000000024

If using these files on a music server, should I convert to PCM or use the dsd files? I'm planning on building both a Mac based system with pure vinyl and a win7 based media monkey system. I want to share the same drive so I was thinking flac would be the best format.

Thanks!

You're the best, Ted.

As I didn't make a note to determine which .iso files are .DST vs. non-.DST, is there an easy way for me to make that determination after the fact?

If not, is there any downside to running all the .iso's in batch mode with the .DST bat and then for the .iso's which didn't convert (is that all that would happen, they just wouldn't convert?), run the non-.DST bat?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Joel

be readable by Audiogate, etc. If you know the albums assume all multichannel discs are likely DST-encoded (to make space for the multichannel layer). The "extractDSD" (which is a stupid name cuz all the files are technically DSD) which means "extract non-DST encoded ISO's" will only work effectively on stereo-only SACDs.

Thanks again, Ted.

I guess I can check the discs or even look on Amazon to see if they're multi-channel or not.

I'm assuming from what you're saying that there's no easy way to check the iso file itself to tell if its multi-channel or not.

And just to confirm, you're saying that if I use a .DST bat to convert non .DST iso's, the resulting .DFF files won't be playable by Audiogate, is that right?

Joel

Times here on these ripping threads. The only downside is the link to twitter, assuming you don't own a Korg.

The windows executables can be found via the stereo net forum links that are on this thread.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/36026-SACD-DFF-file-extraction-backups?s=f8b3af54809787016a393ba07283b5da

You need to read more of the forum link and study the instructions. You seem to have hiccups at every single step, some of which are simply getting to know the software you are using. Set up the twitter link, add some diff files, export the diff files and pick the sample rate, format and output folder. It's not anything but straightforward. If the diff files don't play (for example) before you try the export, then you extracted the wrong kind of diff files (DST maybe?).

Parisienne (LSC Fiedler) but it doesnt work with .dsdiff files from Heifetz Concertos (LSC). The first one I tried, Heifetz files wouldnt even show up in the play list in Audiogate ... According to your post I extracted the wrong kind of files, but I did it the same way as Gaite Parisienne using PS3 SACD-Ripper. I am sorry for asking so many questions ... I really appreciate this forum. I think I'm almost there.

Of note: I read in some of the threads that you should be able to configure the export format from SACD-ripper (press one of the keys on PS3 controller - triangle or circle) ... this did nothing for me.

If you know the albums assume all multichannel discs are likely DST-encoded (to make space for the multichannel layer).

Stereo DSD area on hybrid CD/2ch/mch discs should be mostly non-DST compressed while the multichannel (usually 5.0 or 5.1, but other configurations exist too) area should be DST compressed.

All SACD's I have are hybrid that contain CD, stereo-DSD and multichannel-DSD areas.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

forum link I sent you! Please, I will answer this simple question, but please please read up!!

When the SACD is in the PS3 and the ripper app is running, simply press the right-most (orange "o" key") to toggle through all the possibilities. You will want "2 channel DSDIFF (DSD)". Other possibilities include extracting the ISO, the multichannel files (if avail), same as above in DSF format, AND the ability (for whatever reason) to extract the still encoded-DST stuff.

Miksa,

When you use the Windows based extractor, now called sacd-extract (i.e PS3 was used for ISO rip only, often to save disc spinning life) then you need to know if the ISO is DST-encoded in order to process even the 2 channel layer. The bat files below actually mean this:

Extract DST MCH Files (extract to DSDIFF the multichannel files that are currently DST-encoded)

Extract DSD Stereo Files (extract to DSDIFF the stereo files that are from a stereo-only non-DST ISO)

Extract DST stereo Files (extract to DSDIFF the stereo files that are from a hybrid/multichannel/stereo disc, cuz DST-encoding is on that disc)

It doesn't mean the stereo files are necessarily DST encoded, but it reads like that.

sace extract.jpg

This comment falls under the category of "so obvious it doesn't need to be mentioned", but I didn't realize it until just now so I'm posting the information in case it's of use to others.

I noticed that some of my SACD's were ripping at a rate of around 1.8MB/s while others were ripping around 2.6MB/s. And I couldn't figure out why.

Turns out, as I was using two different flash drives to copy the files to from my PS3, one operates much faster than the other.

If you have a lot of SACD's (and even if you don't), the time difference can be meaningful. My faster drive is a Lexar 64MB thumb drive. The slower one is a SanDisk 32MB thumb drive. This doesn't necessarily speak to all of the other drives these companies make. This has just been my experience with these two.

Also, I've noticed that Audiogate will convert large batches of files from different folders so I ran a bunch of .DFF files overnight. Yes, the resulting FLAC files (in my case it was FLAC) all appeared in one folder, but since they're already titled, it's easy to move them to where they belong.

Some, or even many of you, may be aware of these two tips, but for those who aren't . . . enjoy.

Joel

Sound quality challenge. I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in comparing the sound quality of a PS3 SACD ripped file to my SACD transfer file and see if we can hear the difference. The transfer will be made on Korg MR2000s DSD recorder. Source is from Sony SCD-1 SACD player via analog RCA output. File type 1-bit 5.6 MHZ or 2.8 MHZ DSDIFF. Same album/track of course. PM me if anyone is interested in this sound test.

A few of my SACD albums:

- Titanic

- Ray Charles, Genius Loves Me

- Audiophile Vocals

- Nat King Cole, Love is the Thing & Nat King Cole Story

- The Police, Every Breath You Take