IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

For those of you having a hard time finding just the right PS3 I was successful in updating an older PS3 that had firmware 2.5 on it by using the OtherOS method. I believe you could use the OtherOS method and back convert any SACD compatible PS3 even if it had a firmware newer than 3.55. Basically the first step in this method is to "recover" the PS3's hard drive from the firmware on the attached USB drive. The USB drive will not check if there is a newer version already on the drive - it will simply erase the drive and install itself.

My system still plays games and everything else just fine (still no playstation network). I've been able to back up most of my SACD's to DFF files and safely store them on my NAS.

Here's the process I used:

hXXp://jere.my/?page=writings&sub_page=archive&display=0000000024

PS. Replace hxxp with http.

Good luck amigos

I keep waiting for that one too...Unfortunately if the iso contains the cd layer you can definitely be sure the oppo wont play it...It sees it as a cd not an sacd--the oppo has no trouble 'seeing' the iso...and as you know the iso support doesnt extend to cds. That's one theory since the Oppo sees the file no problem. The other theory (its only my theory) is that it's gonna take some kinda firmware thing from Oppo to enable the functionality. I don't know if there is a way to remove the cd layer but I would think that would be the first step. It also (the cd layer) prevents the OS from making copies of the iso without using something like IMGburn...my mac sees the iso as a cd and wont burn it to dvd. So there's my theory...I also have another theory...I have lots of theories....here is another...it could be that the udf formatting of the dvd doesn't translate when you put er on an hdd...I think if there were a way to 'burn' the iso to hdd if that makes sense, it might work as well. Thus far it's all disc land in the country of Oppo. I presume as long as a CD layer exists the Oppo will continue to view the iso of SACDs as the CD layer much like my mac does...

If anyone else needs a theory just ask...Im full of them...or full of something...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

yeah unfortunately the conversion process from sacd to dvd-a is very lossy to my ears. It sounds converted. There are some exquisite ones out there that used to serve as rudimentary backups but they always lack a LOT of the subtler details of pure DSD decoding. So one can convert to PCM but then you lose the entire point...was hoping some brainiacs might be able to chime in on my theories...should I come up with some more? The rest of my theories involve small elves that live in my Oppo. I believe that they haven't been broken in yet. I further theorize that if I could somehow route the elves asynchronously toward the HDD they might be able to sort the whole thing out. They seem to be stubbornly synchronous elves however...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

I'm not talking about converting SACD to a DVD-Audio backup. I mean in my collection of shiny discs, I have far more DVD-A and SACD.

I am really fond of your theories. I will see if I can send my 2 yr old son into my 93 to hunt for elves. I'll get back to you.

My Mains

I'd be interested in knowing what settings others use when they convert with Audiogate.

Regarding the DSD filter, do you leave it off or use the filter to roll off at 42khz or 50khz?

And as to dither, what choice have you made?

Extra credit for explaining your choices.

Thanks,

Joel

explanation: it sounds better. :) And being that DSD is 44.1k based, I also do 176k or 88k (the 44.1k multiples) just in case Audiogate can't do the math as well as Isotope or Saracon can (proven they don't care about the multiples).

When I play DSD64 or DSD128 files through Audiogate or HQPlayer, I have the programs convert the files to 24/176.4 in real time. As memory recalls, I use similar settings when playing DSD files with Pure Music but I believe the conversion process does not occur in real time as there is a substantial delay.

I don't use any dither and since I have the Korg MR-2000S, which is a pure DSD recorder and player, I have no interest in permanently converting DSD files into PCM.

Yeh, but no ps3, & I read all this, ... with sadness & longing!

Who's going to step up & allow a non-ps3 solution to my shelf of sacds?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi,

I have finally gotten my hands on a good condition PS3 (model CECHA**).

So I started the installation process after checking that the PS3 is fully functional in playing blu-ray, SACD's etc and confirmed that the firmware is 3.40.

Step 1 is to update the firmware to OtherOs++ as per the instruction. Completed Step 1 successfully without problems, and confirmed that teh firmware on the PS3 is 3.55.

Step 2 is to install the SACD ripper. I downloaded the pre-compiled one from the provided link, put in in the USB thumb drive. The PS3 recognized it as the game menu's "install package file" function found it. However, when I click on the "install package file", i see 2 options, "_sacd_ripper" and "sacd_ripper", is that normal? Anyway, I encountered "error 80029563" when I clicked on either one. The installation got stuck!!!

I appreciate all your help to get through this. What is this "error 80029563"? What can I do now? It's so close and yet so far, I have close to 400 SACD titles that I would like to archive.

- Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15" with retina display running OSX Mavericks, SSD, 16GB, Audirvana+, Alex Paychev tubed DAC (based on AKM 32bit DACs), iFi iDSD Micro, M2Tech HiFace EVO, Wireworld Starlight USB, Supratek Syrak Pre-amp, Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks for winter and McIntosh 501's in the summer), NBS Monitor IC, Harmonic Technology Magic IC, Omega Mikro Planar speaker cable, Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers, Sennheiser HD600, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Shunyata Python CX power cords, CDs ripped with DbPoweramp into AIFFs, SACDs ripped with PS3

Opus,

Wow - 400 SACD's - I'm jealous.

Here's a link to a list of PS3 error codes: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tech-centre/31304-ps3-errors-solutions.html

It doesn't have one that exactly matches your error code, but it does have "80029564 - Downloaded Game will not install". I found one post where the person had the same error. They re-formatted their memory stick, downloaded the program again and it worked. Try that.

Hope this helps

I'm looking at the Ray Sings, Basie Swings SACD when I notice on the back it says "Source recording Format 24-bit, 96khz PCM.

This of course makes me wonder, how many of the SACD's that I'm ripping and converting to 24/192 have original recordings with lower resolutions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still loving the process of getting better sound out of my SACD's, but still . . .

Joel

DazedandConfused,

Thanks for the reply. Your info gave me the assurance that I did not do something drastically wrong. I have since resolved the issue and thought I would post the info here just in case someone else ran into the same problem.

To recap a little, I encountered error 80029563 when I tried to install the pre-compiled SACD-Ripper package. I downloaded the package and put it in the root folder of a USB thumb drive. I did all these on a Macbook. When I plugged the thumb drive in, my PS3 found the package alright under the game menu -> install package file function. What was strange is that it found 2 packages; "_sacd_ripper" and "sacd_ripper". When I select the "sacd_ripper" package to install, above said error showed up immediately.

The mysterious "_sacd_ripper" turned out to be the main problem. When I browsed the root folder of the same thumb drive on the Macbbok, it only saw "sacd_ripper" in the folder. I am not sure where this "_sacd_ripper" came from, maybe someone could explain this. After trying reformatting the thumb drives many times and also using different thumb drives, I almost gave up seeing the same problem and same error message.

Finally, I browsed the thumb drive in windows 7 environment and lo and behold, the "_sacd_package" was there. I guess Mac OS treats the leading underscore as invisible indicator. So I deleted the "_sacd_ripper" in windows 7 environment, plugged the same thumb drive back into the PS3 and BAM! It installed without a hitch.

I have since ripped The Carpenters Singles successfully. So one down, and 400+ more to go. I am a happy camper now.

I hope this would become useful one day for another PS3 idiot like myself.

- Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15" with retina display running OSX Mavericks, SSD, 16GB, Audirvana+, Alex Paychev tubed DAC (based on AKM 32bit DACs), iFi iDSD Micro, M2Tech HiFace EVO, Wireworld Starlight USB, Supratek Syrak Pre-amp, Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks for winter and McIntosh 501's in the summer), NBS Monitor IC, Harmonic Technology Magic IC, Omega Mikro Planar speaker cable, Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers, Sennheiser HD600, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Shunyata Python CX power cords, CDs ripped with DbPoweramp into AIFFs, SACDs ripped with PS3

if you did this on a mac its the journaling that mac uses. Run into the same prob when i try to transfer music collection from a HFS+ to NTFS. The mac will transfer the files and it will transfer the journaling information as well. You may not even see it on the mac. You'd only know they were there browsing on a windows machine or something like the ps3 or an Oppo. Basically what OS X does is put the journaled files in an identical file container that usually contains a period before the file name. The only way I have found around this is to use some bootcamp solution to transfer the files to your usb. Windows doesn't seem to put all that junk on there. This happens when you put music files from hfs to ntfs as well. You end up with twice the number of files yet only 1/2 of them are the 'real' file and the others will not execute. try it with windows on bootcamp and it will disappear. Use something other than HFS as well obviously.

Have you tried google? If you put something like say PS3 sacd iso and the name of the album and artist I have a feeling you will eventually be directed to the site you are looking for. I applaud your efforts to keep that kind of stuff off the site proper. Another option might be to try sacd-r iso. You may not come up with the particular album you are looking for but you will find some sites that likely contain them somewhere. And Chris I hope I haven't advocated something here that violates any TOS.

No holier than thou comment from me here, but I'd prefer that this kind of information not be shared on this site, for whatever that's worth.

Putting aside the unknowns of the files which are floating around on the internet, I'm just not a big fan of copying someone else's work without permission or payment.

I realize what I choose to download is a personal choice, but I believe this site upholds itself as a higher quality source of audiophile information without references to pirated files.

Just one audiophile's opinion.

Joel

Does anyone know of a method to batch convert a group of .iso files to .dff files, rather than manually converting them one at a time?

I would think that some sort of dos-type series of commands would do this, but I'm definitely not the person to create such a file.

Thanks,

Joel