IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hi all, stumbled upon this thread for quite a while and I have been a great fan of your work. Finally I have the chance to get a CECHE06 PS3 with 3.41 firmware. What I would need is of course to have the "package" so that I can start to get my hands, mind and ears dirty :) So, especially to Ted that has been very helpful in this thread, if you don't mind, would you please send me the PM for the guide and the tools required? Thanks very much.

Hi all, stumbled upon this thread for quite a while and I have been a great fan of your work. Finally I have the chance to get a CECHE06 PS3 with 3.41 firmware. What I would need is of course to have the "package" so that I can start to get my hands, mind and ears dirty :) So, especially to Ted that has been very helpful in this thread, if you don't mind, would you please send me the PM for the guide and the tools required? Thanks very much.

PM sent. Welcome to CA. :)

Ted,

Long time listener first time caller...

I just picked up a CECHB01 off e-bay and would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom.

I already own two CECHA01 units, but upgraded the firmwares because I never had the guts to explain to my wife that we couldn't watch a blu-ray because (insert diatribe about personal property and liberties).

Hi expert,

My acquired old PS3 comes with PS3 Rogero CFW. Althought I can install the scad ripper package and run it, it seem the behaviour is different from the documentation. (i.e., no progress meter, PS3 freeze after rip. etc)

Any expert knows and has experience on this sacd ripper package on Rogero CFW?

Any suggestion. Thanks.

Kevin.

Hello Ted, just purchased a CECHA01 running 3.55OFW from an eBay seller strictly for the purpose of backing up my SACD library. If you would be so kind as to share your guide, I'd be much obliged! Seein' as how we're neighbors and all.... Thanks.

PM sent. Welcome to CA, neighbor. :)

Hi Kevin!

My acquired old PS3 comes with PS3 Rogero CFW. Althought I can install the scad ripper package and run it, it seem the behaviour is different from the documentation. (i.e., no progress meter, PS3 freeze after rip. etc)

That reads like you have encountered the same problem as some of us had too with the last version of the sacd_ripper.pkg

Do you have access to an older build of the ripper package?

If not, PM me, I could handle it over to you.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

All,

I have successfully ripped a number of SACDs using my newly acquired PS3 using my son's blue tooth controller and had no issue when copying them to my Macbook Pro. But yesterday I purchased a cheap USB controller to use. Although the rip goes smoothly and the iso file is on my 8 Gb thumb drive, I now get an error when the file begins to copy to my Macbook Pro. The error message reads "The finder can't complete the operation because some data in "SACD Title Here" can't be read or written. (Error Code - 36).

Has anyone else had this experience? Any idea what is going wrong?

Thanks.

John

No I have not had that problem.

If you Google "mac error code - 36" you will see some recommended fixes.

According to one I read here, Apple fixed this problem in 10.6.3. What version of Mac OS are you running?

But before doing what they recommend, I'd suggest formatting your flash drive on your Mac and then starting over. You may have some leftover files on your flash drive that are confusing Finder. The PS3 shouldn't be writing any dot underscore files.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

No I have not had that problem.

If you Google "mac error code - 36" you will see some recommended fixes.

According to one I read here, Apple fixed this problem in 10.6.3. What version of Mac OS are you running?

But before doing what they recommend, I'd suggest formatting your flash drive on your Mac and then starting over. You may have some leftover files on your flash drive that are confusing Finder. The PS3 shouldn't be writing any dot underscore files.

kennyb123,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Running OSX 10.8.2 on my MBP. Its only 2 months old.

I have reformatted the usb stick on my MBP but to no avail. However, it seems I have found a work-around (at least it works most of the time). If I plug the usb stick into my Mac and the drag the iso file into A+ (the files drop in perfectly and play without issue from the stick) and then do a copy from the stick to my music folder in Finder, it copies OK. How can dragging into A+ first possibly have anything to do with "unlocking" the usb drive?

Although this procedure has worked about 80% of the time (ripped about 10 SACDS since my last post), I did have two occurrences thus far that confuse me even further:

1. One time the file began to copy to my music folder OK but failed about half way thru with the 36 error code. I pulled and replaced it, tried again, but same thing happened. I then pulled and replaced a third time and what-do-ya-know, it worked. Beats me why.

2. Another time I dragged the file from the stick to A+ but the files failed to transfer at all. Then immediately tried to copy anyway, but as expected got the 36 error code. When I pulled and replaced the stick, my A+ then copy procedure worked fine. This time I suspect the first attempt failure was due to initial bad read of the stick by my Macs port.

I have tried pulling and reinstalling the stick many times in the hopes that it was the problem, but until I dragged first into A+, it would not copy.

Could the fact that I am connected by USB from my MBP to my Mytek 192 have anything to do with this???

So while it appears I can now get my SACDS ripped, I sure would like to uncover the reason for the issues I have.

Thanks,

John

I successfully ripped all of my SACDs, software worked great. I can now use JRiver to play all my SACD music, as I use it for all others already, just what I wanted to do. If someone is interested in my PS3, PM me. I don't see any more pop/rock multichannel releases on the horizon, so it would just go in the closet for now. Thanks to all who made this possible!

My PS3 is sold, just for the record. Thanks again!!!