IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

@agentsmith, I don't think it is a so unreliable machine, remember that the PS3 is a game station machine for kids hitting it hard all day long. With a lot of strain on the video engine, high power consumption from it, stressing the circuit boards, processors and power supply, with added heath from this.

The study I saw by a thermal photography, you get better a heath dissipation from the horizontal position.

All the electronics in this world suffer from self produced heath, then is better not to have a high ambience temperature. My tube amp. runs very, very hot, and I never got a failure.

Roch

Agreed on reliability. I've had my launch 60GB PS3 since they came out, and it has seen moderate game, blu-ray, CD and SACD use for that entire 5 years with no issues.

Unfortunately my firmware gets upgraded regularly for game compatibility, so I missed the DSD ripping boat.

But I keep the thing cleaned out and on an open shelf, and it rarely kicks into high fan mode. After at least several thousand hours of use, I don't think that's too bad.

If you read through the AVS thread, the guys who see failures are mostly the game several hours a day guys, who probably put 5-10000 hours on the thing in a couple of years. And may or may not have them in ideal situations as far as ventilation.

the YLOD on a new machine...I'm saying buying a used PS3 off Ebay may give us a machine that has billions of hours on it, and that our ripping may be the final straw that broke the camels neck. So, regardless, I tend to be very wary. these machines are at least 4 yrs old...and are being sold for some reason. :)

I set up to rip and got the error message that 3.81GB was not enough space .. rip aborted. I scrolled through the output format options and chose DSDIFF (DSD). First, is there any way around that FAT32 volume limit and, second, is DSDIFF (DSD) the best second option?

Also, having gotten past the actual ripping part, I am beginning to research file formats and conversions, and just how I am going to play this content on my home theater system from a server in my basement.

My follow-up on that is the sampling rate needed - what is considered "lossless" when converting? ... I have seen 88.2Khz and I have seen 176.4.

Jeff

and when they are the SACD-ripper produces split ISO's (that you can later join with things like HJsplit, etc).

Second, FAT32 is a limitation for ISO's, but the majority of discs are less than 4Gb as ISO's. use a bigger USB drive; I use a 16 GB thumb drive, or sometime my 80GB poartable.

It sounds like you need to read up a bit. The ripper is somewhat DIY and for that reason you need to kinda know what you are doing. The "O" button on the PS3 controller will cycle you though other options than ISO, including stereo DSDIFF (or DSF, but I always use DIFF) and multichannel DSDIFF, DSF and the compressed format DST (which I never rip to cuz it needs to be decompressed anyway).

Sample rates are not lossy or lossless, formats are. If you convert DIFF to PCM at say 24/88.2k in FLAC or AIFF or WAV you are certainly lossless. (Lossy includes MP3, DTS, Dolby Digital, etc. ) Your decision factors on sample rates more have to do with your DAC's capability than anything else. What DAC do you have, and what is it's best sample rate )or your favorite sample rate for that DAC)? When converting to PCm pay attention to filters, clipping, etc.

Net/net, read up all you can.

Thanks, Ted. I have a 16GB stick I am clearing right now and that will tell me more. With the (nominal) 4GB stick, it said it was not enough space and aborted; it did not offer to split the ISO.

My "DAC" is my Onkyo 5508 pre-pro, which can input DSD. Not having gotten to what I will use as a networked player, I don't yet know whether any will read and pass DSD to it.

Yes, lots and lots of reading to do!!

Is the only way to exit the ripper to turn off the PS3 by pressing the power button for two seconds?

update: it saw my 16GB stick as 14.9x GB, so that would seem to indicate that it can address more than 4GB? Also, the ISO ... which it is now ripping .. is listed as 4.87GB. Interestingly, the progress information shows it is working on something 4082.0MB in size. That could be the splitting you mention.

Jeff

with addressing more than 4GB.? You are mixing issues. The 4Gb limit is on the individual ISO, not on the size of hard drive! Your ISO could well be split, yes. Wait until it's done. You'll know.

Why are you ripping SACD's if you have nothing to play them with? Your Onkyo receiver is only DSD-capable via HDMI, which most universal players can do...but no need to rip to do that.

:-)

Yes, I could play the discs in my Oppo attached to the 5508, but I am building a media server and want to not have to handle physical media. For movies, at least, there are some really cool user interfaces with info and cover art. My goal is to do that with DVD-A and SACD along with movies.

I can confirm what would seem like a bug in the ripper. When it did the DSDIFF output, the top progress indicator was the overall rip and the bottom indicator showed the song title and the progress of ripping that song. It stepped, one at a time, through all the songs.

Now that it is outputting an ISO, the top indicator is still overall and the bottom line is stuck on listing the first song. It does say "1/2" which goes the fact that there will be two ISO files.

update: it completed 1/2 and moved to 2/2. And I now have two ISO files extended with ".001" and ".002".

Thank again for everything!

Jeff

ISo's. As I said, you need to read up; reporting that as a bug would not be worthwhile.

I'd recommend against ripping DIFF files AND an ISO with the PS3. Use the Windows SACD-extract tool if you have a Windows machine, and save the PS3 from extra wear and tear.

Thanks, Ted. I am getting around the learning curve ... slowly. I thought the 4GB limit was a FAT32 thing. (I could have sworn I saw that written somewhere in all the stuff I've been reading.) Now that I know it's not, that will be the last DIFF files I output.

Is anybody on this thread using a media server and a networked player such as Dune or PopCorn Hour? How about an HTPC with XMBC?

Jeff

NOT, I repeat, NOT about the limit of your USB hard drive. The PS3 has a FAT32 limit of having files be less than 4GB each. It has NOTHING to do with the size of hard drive that you attach to the PS3 for storing your ISO, DIFFs, etc on!

Thanks to the pioneers here. I have a PS3 on the way to rip my sacd collection and have been experimenting with an iso I downloaded. With respect to the noise artifacts introduced by conversion to PCM, is the preferred solution still trimming 57 microseconds from the beginning and end of each track?

And could someone please provide the text content of the "Compress and Trim.bat" file or a download link to the bat? It was not included along with the other .bats in any package I downloaded. Thanks.

I can't find the question, though, sorry.

Anyway, when ripper says "ripping is completed" simply press the middle button on the PS3 controller (the PS3 logo) and PS3 will ask you whether you want to "quit game", etc. Use joystick and/or left-right buttons to answer questions.

Here's some late news from the desk of MR Wicked (SACD-ripper developer):

Guys, short update on the tools..

SACD ripper as we all know will not get more features in the future.. The development on the PS3 is cumbersome and the FAT32 USB limit will never be removed.

So I've added the first version of "SACD Daemon" to the repository which will allow you to make remote dumps from within your network (before you connect the PS3 to the network, make sure you disable automatic updates!).

The consequence of this is that the local client tool(s) will do all the hard work (DST decoding, etc..) and the PS3 is only there for decryption, disc reading and network connection. I still have plans to slap a GUI together but I have very limited time these days! So for now "SACD Extract" has been updated with network support, ISO export, and gapless mode. (run: "D:>sacd_extract --help" for more information)

[edit] btw. from now on the latest sacd_extract binaries can be downloaded from the google code page.

I've had several questions and requests regarding sacd_log.txt. It currently seems to be used as an ISO 'certificate', I understand the information information looks interesting, but it's useless really.. So I still need to do some thinking on this subject and come up with a useful remote logging format.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions..

I know there are not many of us yet doing native DSD listening. But for those that do, I have a weird one here.

It seems that, other than his multichannel hybrid UP album, the remainder of my Peter Gabriel catalog will not play on my Mytek. Oh, it loads, it shows DSD, it even decrements the elapsed time (on PM or A+) but none of the albums' DSDIFF files play actual sound (an occasional hiccup maybe)!! What's even weirder is that these same DSDIFF files convert fine to PCM (I have full folders of them in 24/176.4k), or convert fine via the players own on-the-fly DSD-to-PCM conversion!! ?? Anybody have this going on?

My PG catalog are the US releases that have no redbook layer; they are stereo SACD layer only, period! I have ripped PGI, PG2, PG3, Us, and So (I can't find my SACD of PG4/Security)....none of them play...and they are the only ones I've ripped that don't!

Mytek, PM and A+ each have a sample to try. They've said they'd look into it. Weird.

those albums worked fine for me but I don't have the mytek ted.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

I didn't realize you can play native DSD. I'm of course not talking SACD's via the Oppo. They play there fine (or I would have returned them years ago). I'm talking native DSDIFF.