IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Ted_b, elcorso, thanks for the response.

I guessed this also depends on what playback software I am using. Originally, I was planning to go with the flow that ted_b is using, ie convert DFFs to 24bit/174.2kHz AIFFs. However, Audirvana+ now supports DFFs playback and does real time pcm conversion, so I thought maybe it is good to have DFFs tagging as well. Also, Audirvana+ finally is going the iTunes integration route, not sure if the iTune library can handle and load DFFs. Initial trial seems to suggest that this new Audirvana+ feature is playing nice with remote on Ipads/Iphones. That is a big plus. Does anybody have any input on DFF on iTunes as the navigator?

- Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15" with retina display running OSX Mavericks, SSD, 16GB, Audirvana+, Alex Paychev tubed DAC (based on AKM 32bit DACs), iFi iDSD Micro, M2Tech HiFace EVO, Wireworld Starlight USB, Supratek Syrak Pre-amp, Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks for winter and McIntosh 501's in the summer), NBS Monitor IC, Harmonic Technology Magic IC, Omega Mikro Planar speaker cable, Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers, Sennheiser HD600, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Shunyata Python CX power cords, CDs ripped with DbPoweramp into AIFFs, SACDs ripped with PS3

I have successfully ripped one of my SACDs, burnt the ISO and playing it on my system. This is so cool.

Now I can proceed with building my media server, and then I'll be getting up to speed on the highest quality format to use to play this content. Apparently, nothing can work with the ISO's.

I'd appreciate tips from anyone using PCH, Dune or XMBC on tagging and art. I'd like the ability to scroll through cover art with SACD as is done with Blu-rays and (I'd guess) DVD-A.

Thanks to everyone who helped!!

Jeff

edit: ted_b, I have yet to look at the section on "Audio-somethingorother" but will do that soon.

Don't know, but I know I won't be doing anything with stereo layers. I am at the SACD party for the same thing I am at the DVD-A party - for the high resolution MULTICHANNEL audio.

Obviously, the exceptions will be where I have purchased titles that are only stereo. I have very few, but they were bought either before I realized that not all were multichannel (doh!) or they were so compelling I had to have it anyway.

Jeff, TXT file is the log file for your rips. Maybe for the developer use, if something goes wrong, but you don't need it.

Ted I rip only to two channels, I'm not an multichannel fan. Maybe some day? I don't believe it.

I own a large SACD collection, I already ripped about 25. I don't know when I would finish, since is about 20 minutes per each one, depending on the encoding. I hope the PS3 has a long life span.

Roch

I tell people to only rip about 3-4 ISO's in one setting. I don't like the PS3 to spin for very long; I'm very worried about the yellow light of death, and for that reason keep things on the cool side, well ventilated, and short sessions.

Jeff, yes, as the name implies....they are log text files. They are used as per any application troubleshoot, to send detail log info to the developer if a problem arises in the code. I delete them, but I have no position on whether one needs to.

This is a quote from another forum:

I would recommend reducing the load on your ps3, by limiting what you do with ripper to just taking iso dumps of your discs. Copy the ISO's off to a PC for further processing - track extraction, Dst to dsd conversion, etc, these activities require a fair bit of processing, and you can alleviate your ps3 of that load by shifting the activity onto a PC.

Ted, I agree with you, short sessions, or some rest between ISO rips.

I think what you call "...the yellow light of death..." is the HDD activity indicator light.

Reading the Quick Reference manual: "If the system's internal temperature becomes elevated, the power indicator will flash alternately in read and green."

Roch

is a real and very well documented malady for PS3 owners.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/443168?start=0&tstart=0

For fun, google it and you'll find horrors of all sorts, with youtube videos galore about how to possibly fix it. Most say you can't.

Hi all,

I have run into the following problems multiple times.

After happily getting the iso, I would extract the tracks in dff format using SACD-extractor in windows 7. But the extractor would quit because the combination director gory name and track file name is way too long. So I have to go back to the title and rip it again with tracks output instead. Then I would manually shorten the directory name and filenames to archive them. Does anyoe have a better way to deal with this?

Another problem is for titles with multiple discs (mostly classical), the ripper does not automatically create a rev 2 of the same title. Instead, it would overwrite the iso created from disc 1 of the same title when it is ripping disc 2. This is quite painful that I have to unload the disc 1 iso from the hard drive first (or rename it) before ripping disc 2. Another way is to select tracks as output; as the track names are different on disc 1 and disc 2, all the tracks would end up in the same directory without being overwritten.

- Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15" with retina display running OSX Mavericks, SSD, 16GB, Audirvana+, Alex Paychev tubed DAC (based on AKM 32bit DACs), iFi iDSD Micro, M2Tech HiFace EVO, Wireworld Starlight USB, Supratek Syrak Pre-amp, Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks for winter and McIntosh 501's in the summer), NBS Monitor IC, Harmonic Technology Magic IC, Omega Mikro Planar speaker cable, Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers, Sennheiser HD600, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Shunyata Python CX power cords, CDs ripped with DbPoweramp into AIFFs, SACDs ripped with PS3

latest revision. I've yet to have an ISO who's name is too long. But I just rename to artistalbum.iso anyway. I hate the long "2003 Geffen Records, etc a division of...." ISO names.

Yes, fatherom, ted_b, Roche et al, for me this is a dedicated SACD ripper. In fact, I just bought a second on ebay for "backup." One never knows how long they will last and I plan on buying SACD's for as long as they keep releasing them. The new title schedule is quite nice.

Jeff

Thanks Ted, I got what the YLOD is!

I read also best position for heath issues is horizontal, AC on 68º and clean air. Then I should not smoke anymore in front my PS3, my wife, nor my daughters and, of course, my doctor. Plus, I need to wear a jacket, is cold here.

Also I placed the unit on a (cold) glass table, some four 2" X 2" wood blocks between the table and the PS3.

I already have a bookmark in YouTube in "How to repair your YLOD PS3" thanks to Sony bad (cold) solder robotic technics.

I wonder why I'm still an audiophile? With all the time I spent in audiophilia I could be a very famous clarinetist.

Roch

Is horizontal placement the better way for cooling? I place it vertically because I thought the air vents are on the top part when placed vertically?

It is really a shame that such a seemingly well built machine is so notoriously unreliable.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

http://www.sa-cd.net/home

Pull down menu top right and select "Upcoming titles." This site is my main reference for researching titles wrt whether they are multichannel, pricing and reviews.

Here is an AVS forum thread on technical reviews and comments on hi-res multichannel audio - SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1352869

Jeff ("pepar" everywhere but here)

This from Rob Robinson at Pure Music:

"Just use the Add FLAC/DSD operation in Pure Music. Then you can edit the tag information, add artwork, etc. in iTunes to your heart's content... note that the tag information will be stored in the Bookmark file (which doesn't contain audio) created by Pure Music. The original DSD file isn't touched or altered in any way.

Most of the DSD files we've seen have limited tags embedded and you will likely have to modify some of the tags anyway. For example one of the tags (is album or artist, can't remember OTOH) isn't present in one site's DSD downloads and is just filled with "Pure Music Bookmark" in the iTunes track representation, and you would manually change this to the correct information."