SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

I've read somewhere in this thread or forum (?) that there is a go-around way to convert from ISO to DFF first, and then from DFF to DSF using AudioGate along the way to avoid possible "pop" noises (?). I've searched, but couldn't find that post anymore. I'll appreciate if someone can help. Many thanks in advance.

I've read somewhere in this thread or forum (?) that there is a go-around way to convert from ISO to DFF first, and then from DFF to DSF using AudioGate along the way to avoid possible "pop" noises (?). I've searched, but couldn't find that post anymore. I'll appreciate if someone can help. Many thanks in advance.

Has anyone tested the latest sacd_extract v0.3.8 from this point of view?

Has anyone tested the latest sacd_extract v0.3.8 from this point of view?

We've discussed this many times. Jesus's wonderful ISO2DSD free GUI tool has v.38 already incorporated (in the Windows and OSX download) since it was released last year. No need to do Bogi's tool (nice tool that takes ISO to DFF to DSF, saving tags, but now somewhat unnecessary if you use v38), but his can be used with v.38 too, cuz it can be set up to do Windows Explorer autocontext aka right-click.

Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD

Ack. Through my wired or wireless connection I get no more than .02MB/sec ripping speed compared to 2.6MB/sec to the USB drive.

Looks like I'll be troubleshooting the network on the weekend!

Just to be clear, network ripping is only a tiny bit faster than to a USB3 thumb drive. The PS3 limits the ultimate speed.

The big savings were elimination of extra steps like not having to copy the ISO on the thumb drive to the PC for extract and not having to use hjsplit to piece large ISOs back together, due to the FAT 4G file size limitation. My rips were mainly all large classical albums, frequently exceeding 4G. Saying goodbye to hjsplit, etc. is a huge time saver.

Just to be clear, network ripping is only a tiny bit faster than to a USB3 thumb drive. The PS3 limits the ultimate speed.
Does PS3 support USB3, Carl?

The big savings were elimination of extra steps like not having to copy the ISO on the thumb drive to the PC for extract and not having to use hjsplit to piece large ISOs back together, due to the FAT 4G file size limitation. My rips were mainly all large classical albums, frequently exceeding 4G. Saying goodbye to hjsplit, etc. is a huge time saver.
True. However, I connect 2 (sometimes 3) PS3s to my network and rip from them simultaneously. Thus, the output from each PS3 is unchanged but my own time efficiency is greatly increased.

Kal Rubinson

Music in the Round

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Question about SACD and Blu-ray Disc ripping to hard drive. Is there a service I can pay to rip about 50 discs?

Blu-ray would just be the audio layer since they are concert discs. I have ripped some blu-ray concerts already but I don't feel that it ripped the layer correctly. SACD I know can't be done with it PlayStation.

No, USB3 is a more recent invention.

Probably so. USB3 may not provide any advantages over USB2 on the rip from PS3 to thumb drive. But, it does when copying that ISO from thumb drive to the PC for extract.

My point was much more about saving time consuming extra steps, like eliminating the copy from thumb drive altogether at whatever speed and hjsplit.

Does PS3 support USB3, Carl?

True. However, I connect 2 (sometimes 3) PS3s to my network and rip from them simultaneously. Thus, the output from each PS3 is unchanged but my own time efficiency is greatly increased.

PS3 likely does not support USB3, though I have not used thumb drives for years.

I have often had multiple network rips concurrent with multiple ISO-DSF extracts all running at the same time while simultaneously listening to something in 5.1 Mch from my DSF library using JRiver on the fly DSD-PCM conversion and bass management and Dirac room correction all running at the same time on the same PC. Ditto while watching a Blu-Ray video via my AMD R9 270 GPU's HDMI with 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio. USB out for audio in each case was to my Exasound E28.

Did I see or hear anything different? In a word, nope. Not at all. It still sounded and looked great to me, as usual. It is just a DIY Win 7 Pro, Intel I7 a generation or two old PC with 16GB of ram, all under $1,000, nothing special.

I have often had multiple network rips concurrent with multiple ISO-DSF extracts all running at the same time while simultaneously listening to something in 5.1 Mch from my DSF library using JRiver on the fly DSD-PCM conversion and bass management and Dirac room correction all running at the same time on the same PC. Ditto while watching a Blu-Ray video via my AMD R9 270 GPU's HDMI with 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio. USB out for audio in each case was to my Exasound E28.

Did I see or hear anything different? In a word, nope. Not at all. It still sounded and looked great to me, as usual. It is just a DIY Win 7 Pro, Intel I7 a generation or two old PC with 16GB of ram, all under $1,000, nothing special.

Nothing special? It works!

Kal Rubinson

Music in the Round

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Question about SACD and Blu-ray Disc ripping to hard drive. Is there a service I can pay to rip about 50 discs?

Blu-ray would just be the audio layer since they are concert discs. I have ripped some blu-ray concerts already but I don't feel that it ripped the layer correctly. SACD I know can't be done with it PlayStation.

This service here offers to rip SACDs - don't know about Blu Rays, but you could ask them: SACD DSD Audio Extraction - Golden Ear Digital
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ted,

I'm a newbie to DSD audio.

I've bought an appropriate PS3 on eBay and have a stack of SACDs that I'd like to rip.

Could you please send me the instructions by PM to be able to make it all work.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Ted,

I've bought an appropriate PS3 on eBay and have a stack of SACDs that I'd like to rip.

Thanks,

Mark

I believe everything you need is at this link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/SACD%20ripper%20primer%20v4.0.1.pdf

Welcome to CA and good luck.

Hi Ted,

Thanks,

Mark

They are in my signature links. Let me know how it goes.

I've ripped a few dozen SACD's just fine. However, I've come across a few that will not rip. When I load them, it crashes the ripping program, and the only way to proceed is to hold the power button for a few seconds and restart the PS3. Is this because there aren't the necessary keys to decrypt them?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (powered by Uptone JS-2) > opticalRendu (JS-2) > Ayre QX-5 DAC > Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp > Ayre MX-R Twenty mono amps > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I've ripped a few dozen SACD's just fine. However, I've come across a few that will not rip. When I load them, it crashes the ripping program, and the only way to proceed is to hold the power button for a few seconds and restart the PS3. Is this because there aren't the necessary keys to decrypt them?

Does the PS3 play them normally?

Small update on my PS3 SACD adventure: Thanks to bailyscream I have a working PS3/SACD ripping system now. Message: Do not despair just contact him (or other modification expert) if your PS3 is not on the correct firmware. Also thanks to others especially Ted to make this all possible. I'm buying SACDs again!

The following is slightly off-topic but maybe others find it useful: If you do not own multichannel equipment but a good (PCM) DAC and a good headphone try this: Follow Teds documentation to get MCH DFF files. Convert DFF to PCM 48kHz/24 bit files (this is the most critical step it seems, see discussions on the net about SW etc.). Install the foobar Dolby Headphone plugin (see net again). Use DH1 setting/no compression. Convert the 48kHz/24 bit to DH1 48kHz/24 bit files using foobar. Alternatively you can import iso files directly in foobar and play around with the conversion settings. (That's how I started.) A resampling in that case is needed in foobar before feeding to DH because DH is limited to 48kHz as maximum frequency. You might think it works at higher frequencies but you get weird results. I need some time to do this all but I'm a MCH SACD 'addict' now. Using headphones...

Does the PS3 play them normally?

Yes. The problem SACDs play fine. When I load them in the Ripper, the title information displays fine too. But when I press Ok, everything becomes grayed out and the PS3 will not respond to anything on the controller. I have to hold down the power button to put the unit into standby, and then start up again.

So far, I've come across four problematic SACDs:

Patricia Berber - Cafe Blue

Elton John - Honky Chateau & Tumbleweed Connection

Alison Krause - Forget About It

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (powered by Uptone JS-2) > opticalRendu (JS-2) > Ayre QX-5 DAC > Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp > Ayre MX-R Twenty mono amps > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some more experimenting. It turned out the it was only the interface that froze on he problem discs. I tried just leaving the USB drive in for a while and it turned out that the ripping was still occurring as normal. I still had to hold he power button down a few seconds and reboot the PS3 to continue, but at least all discs could be ripped. I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has a similar issue.

In any case, I've ripped my collection of SACDs and will list my PS3 for sale in the near future.

Yeah, we call it a "blind rip" and have chatted here about here numerous times (go to the top of this page and do a "search thread..."blind rip""). It helps to have a flash drive with a blinking light.

Yeah, we call it a "blind rip" and have chatted here about here numerous times (go to the top of this page and do a "search thread..."blind rip""). It helps to have a flash drive with a blinking light.

I suppose I should have read more of the his thread first instead of diving right in. It was only as just before I packed up the PS3 I thought I would try a different flash drive. Unlike what I had been using, this one did have an led. The blinking light clued me in. Thanks again for everything Ted!

Folks:

I have already ripped my SACDs to ISO files. They play fine with Audirvana+ in my home office but I would like to play them in Roon over my Auralic Aries Mini in my main system. I work in a MAC environment (OS X 10.13.3). I need to know how (i.e., what software) to convert my ISO files into DSF or DFF and which format is preferable. Over the last couple of months I have pursued two different software paths only to find out that they would only work in the Windows environment. Any advice would be quite welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

... I work in a MAC environment (OS X 10.13.3). I need to know how (i.e., what software) to convert my ISO files into DSF or DFF and which format is preferable. ...

Mike:

Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD

With the latest version you should be safe to convert to *.dsf files (because these are taggable).

I'm a Windows user, so others may chime in here for further suggestions.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Synfreak:

Thanks. Good to know that DSF is what I want. That was one of the dead ends I pursued - loooonngg thread and then get to a point where I can't get the DSF files and found out that there was a step from a Widows process that killed it... Lot of effort but no go. So I'm still looking.

Mike