IGNORED

I hated Hi-Rez!

Yes, I was a heretic. I stopped buying hi-res files. They sounded harsh and scratchy, and horrible. 44 was king and I was gonna stay with 'em for good. What was all the hi-res fuss about, anyway...

Then on Monday everything changed. On Monday the Fed-x truck delivered me new life in the form of a M2Tech Young DAC! Suddenly, the musical sky opened up and there appeared a wonderful shaft of light from on high bathing me in the most glorious sound. Harshness turned to clarity and cleanliness and now all is right with the muses again.

So I bid farewell to the Benchmark HDR (modified). It seemed pretty good on 44s, but I had to move on.

Boy, am I glad I did.

Hi coot,

Not a heretic, just blaming the source for what the gear did to it.

I often see folks saying there is no benefit to 4x rates (176.4k and 192k) too or that they hear little or no difference between those and the 2x rates (88.2k and 96k). Here again, it is the gear (if it isn't the ear ;-}). Many devices, regardless of the numbers on their spec sheets, simply aren't up to the increased demands of the higher rates for highly accurate clocking and analog stages that can perform at the wider bandwidths.

Have fun with the new DAC and with your high res library!

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

That's good within itself ! (I'm serious)

But ah, the subject pops up again eh ?

Many devices, regardless of the numbers on their spec sheets, simply aren't up to the increased demands of the higher rates for highly accurate clocking and analog stages that can perform at the wider bandwidths.

This too ... it will just be true to a certain extend.

But wait until the day I found the time to expose what's really happening ? Maybe (just maybe) I won't be able to ever find the time to work it all out for a real presentation. And what to do that for anyway ? :-))

I'm eager though.

Barry, just asking ... Do you record in DSD or PCM(-like) ?

If the latter, I kindly ask your coorperation on some tests (offline of course), with the goal of improvement on your side, and to the benefit of us all. No obligations of course.

I won't say that a No will be held against you, but at least then you didn't help to solve some "problem" of which I state it is there.

You could see it as a challenge.

If you want, please let me know per PM or something.

Regards,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Hi Peter,

"...Barry, just asking ... Do you record in DSD or PCM(-like) ?

If the latter, I kindly ask your coorperation on some tests (offline of course), with the goal of improvement on your side, and to the benefit of us all. No obligations of course...

I record at 24/192 in PCM.

If I can help with a test, I'd be happy to but this is entirely contingent on my schedule. Right now, I've just completed recording sessions for what I hope will be the next two Soundkeeper releases and time is tight, with post production coming, along with graphic design for the artwork and booklet, new Web pages for the site, etc. etc. These, along with other work, are my top priority right now.

You can contact me via the address at either of my Web sites.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Barry, that will be great.

Don't be afraid of time constraints, because it is (or seems to be) a too large subject to workout in "some emails" anyway. Also, I'm sitting on it for quite some months now, and some can easily be added.

FYI: I'm serious enough about this to hop over to the States and work on it together in real time for the days it needs, so if it were for me it ends up to that really.

But first, of course, we'll exchange the general ideas of the "problem", and will have mutual agreement about further approach.

Don't expect an email real soon.

Best regards and all the best with your current productions,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)