Hello again

I've been facing some doubts in what concerns a good quality DAC to play my flac files.

I'm currently using a Carillon AC1 LE audio PC as a music server directly connected via a Pro-Ject USB Box.

Files are read via Foobar 2000.

The thing here is that, as I am using more and more the PC, I'm feeling that i should upgrade the DAC.

I'm seriously considering (and that's where my doubt resides) either on a Cambridge DacMAgic and the Arcam RDac (Straight version, no wireless needed).

I mainly listen to Jazz, Folk, Blues,Country and, Rock (not heavy rock).

My system consists on a Pro-ject RPM 9.1 Turntable w/ a Denon DL 103, Pro-ject Tube Box Se (1st Edition) Sonic Frontiers SFL 1 Pre, Vincent SP331 Power, Vincent CD S1 CD player, Martin Logan Ascents...

Cabling from Kimber, Chord, and Isotek.

If anyone with experience on either of these 2 DAc's could give me some piece of advice, I would pretty much appreciate it.

Sonic Frontiers SFL1 Pre;Classé CA-400 Power amp; Theta Miles cd player;Pro-ject RPM 9.1 Turntable, Denon DL 301 MK II, ASR Mini Basis phono preamp;Cambridge NP30 Streamer; Martin- Logan Ascents, Kimber, Chord and Oelbach cables.

I have an rDAC since a couple of months and like It very much. I am pretty sure you've read Chris review of the rDAC by now and his review is right on the money. The rDAC is a musical, laid back, fatigue free machine.

I have heard the DacMagic only once briefly on an unknown system. Never did an A/B test.

My understanding from what I've read is that with USB, the Arcam is the clear winner where on SPDIF the DacMagic might have the edge.

The rDAC is asynch USB where the DacMagic is adaptative. Also, I *think* the DacMagic upsample everything to 192 where the rDAC doesn't. I am not 100% sure about that last statement though.

I don't think you could go wrong with either DAC's. Depends what you're looking for. Try to A/B both and you'll see (well... hear!).

Good luck!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

Thank you.

As a matter of fact, yes, I did read Chris review of the rDac and also on Hi-fi Choice and Hi-fi news about it and it's what is leading me to get it.

By the way, would you recommend a usb cable for it??

Thanks again

Cheers

David

Sonic Frontiers SFL1 Pre;Classé CA-400 Power amp; Theta Miles cd player;Pro-ject RPM 9.1 Turntable, Denon DL 301 MK II, ASR Mini Basis phono preamp;Cambridge NP30 Streamer; Martin- Logan Ascents, Kimber, Chord and Oelbach cables.

Do a little search on the site and you'll see plenty of threads debating cable brands, length, prices, etc...

Me, I use a basic Belkin Gold USB cable. Truth is, I even use a USB extension cable (Belkin Gold too) since a few weeks because I changed the layout of my living room and my desktop is now further away from the Hifi. But don't tell anyone. I may be banned from here. Heresy, I know!!!

Truth is, It doesn't sound better nor worse since the extension so... It's all good.

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro