IGNORED

Roon - Linux Server or MacMini m2????

Hello,

My Roon Server (Asus Tuf/i5/16gb/hdplex h5/hdplex 300psu/Gentooplayer OS) died recently. 

First Option: Buy Aorus B760m Mb+ i7 14700k + ddr5 replacements...

Or buy a MacMini M2 (not the pro version).

Both options will be for the similar price in my Country.

I would very much appreciate if you could recomend on this matter.

Also recomendations on Mb brand and processor type for the first option will be appreciated.

Thanks

Antonio

• altsouza changed the title to Roon - Linux Server or MacMini m2????

My 2 cents. Buy an HQPlayer license and run it on the same machine. When I used Roon the best sound was feeding HQPlayer locally which I suspect is due to Miska’s product managing the output hardware better. If your DAC supports DSD then HQPlayer thrives on faster CPU’s for speedier/ higher DSD rate conversion

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi @davide256,

Thank you for your help.

I use Minidsp Shd studio Roon endpoint/processor (than goes to a Dac, Dirac processing, subwoofer management etc)  so I don't know if Hqplayer is compatible with this setup.

I would appreciate if you recommend for the replacement motherboard above.

Thanks again 

Antônio 

The Roon mini dsp endpoint you have is an integrated product so doubt you can run HQPlayer NAA (endpoint sw) on it.

I think you are better off with PC MOBO option for server since Mac’s niche is for those who want server with direct USB to DAC connection and you wont be doing that, will be streaming to the Minidsp endpoint. Going to i7 CPU will give you a boost in GUI and library search speed.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 hours ago, altsouza said:

Hi @davide256

Regarding de Aorus b760m Mb. Do you think will be a good choice?

Thanks 

I'm sure it will do fine. One thing to verify when using any variant of linux is what kernel version is needed for your new HW to work and whether

the player OS you are using is at that version or better. When using Euphony the developers kernel version lagged  so that for a while I couldn't use the

onboard Ethernet NIC of an i11 NUC.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, altsouza said:

Hi,

I use 6.7.5-x86_64-GentooPlayer-ST-RT-SKYLAKE-CLTO kernel from Gentooplayer and it works well!!

Right.. but say for example the kernel dates from a year ago and some HW on the MOBO is brand new/different in the last 6 months…. Then a kernel version may need update to get you the new drivers. 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 4 weeks later...

bobfa, I am complete newbie here and have question. I presently stream all my music from Roon Nucleus to MAY DAC via USB. I think I would like to try HQ Player but have no real idea how to implement it in my system. It looks to me to require one or two new hardware pieces? Would it be possible to get guidance in this journey? Guidance as in holding my hand through the entire process and using non-computer terminology? Thanks for your consideration and reply.

Joe "LAZ"enby

PS  Understand this might need to be taken off line.