Jump to content
IGNORED

Article: Great Music In A Difficult Environment


Recommended Posts

I asked a vendor at AXPONA to turn down the music in his room to help me understand what the speakers were doing in the room.  He would not.  Did not understand!    When I had the Kii Three speakers in my Living Room they could overpower it with ease.  The Dutch and Dutch 8C would do the same thing.  

 

I can see what the video / movie centric playback system and operation would have a much greater problem.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

This is very interesting to read, thank you for sharing. From my own setups which are separate for movie and music using Audyssey for the movie sound, I have noticed a definite difference in experience between the two. The Audyssey measurements take several location inputs which I limit to about 6. I have noticed that the system manages to even out the sound for the different locations. To me this has always felt like a little bit of a compromise compared to my music setup which is arranged for a single listening position. I imagine the theater has a similar setup approach with maybe something more advanced/different than Audyssey but multiple location based. If your home immersive setup is focused around a particular listening position, wouldn't that contribute to the difference as well?

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I asked a vendor at AXPONA to turn down the music in his room to help me understand what the speakers were doing in the room.  He would not.  Did not understand!    When I had the Kii Three speakers in my Living Room they could overpower it with ease.  The Dutch and Dutch 8C would do the same thing.  

 

I can see what the video / movie centric playback system and operation would have a much greater problem.

 

 

 

 

 

I remember going to an old movie theatre in Iowa and they had Altec VoTT's behind the screen for R-C-L and smaller VoTTs for surround. It was interesting to hear that. They did augment with subs also. 

 

I could see the issue, at the same time, taking in the environment and understanding that, helps with enjoyment.

 

Sometimes we need to turn off the 'Audiophile perfection' idea. Sometimes it is just nice to enjoy, w/o picking everything apart. (not saying you do - I do it, so speaking for myself).

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Link to comment
2 hours ago, SQFIRST said:

This is very interesting to read, thank you for sharing. From my own setups which are separate for movie and music using Audyssey for the movie sound, I have noticed a definite difference in experience between the two. The Audyssey measurements take several location inputs which I limit to about 6. I have noticed that the system manages to even out the sound for the different locations. To me this has always felt like a little bit of a compromise compared to my music setup which is arranged for a single listening position. I imagine the theater has a similar setup approach with maybe something more advanced/different than Audyssey but multiple location based. If your home immersive setup is focused around a particular listening position, wouldn't that contribute to the difference as well?

 

Absolutely. A theater is a tough environment, especially when compared to a dedicated listening room. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Link to comment

Commercial theaters are set up for movies. Completely different perspectives vs. a dedicated listening space. My HT is set up for both movies and Atmos music. So, it can be done, but for just two or three folks. I have yet to hear a commercial theater or large theater space with many, many speakers reproduce Atmos music well. So Chris, I am not surprised with your experience, the disc will no doubt be a much better experience for you.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

Commercial theaters are set up for movies. Completely different perspectives vs. a dedicated listening space. My HT is set up for both movies and Atmos music. So, it can be done, but for just two or three folks. I have yet to hear a commercial theater or large theater space with many, many speakers reproduce Atmos music well. So Chris, I am not surprised with your experience, the disc will no doubt be a much better experience for you.

Some of the larger images use atmos, if I am not mistaken.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Link to comment

'84 was an amazing year.  That crazy game Ryne Sandberg had on national tv (on a Saturday afternoon)...  And Rick Sutcliffe being pretty close to perfect.

 

You know the story about the Leon Durham error late in their final playoff game that opened the door to the Padres coming back to tie and then win, right?  His glove got soaked with Gatorade in the dugout right before the Cubs took the field that inning, and he still chose to use it.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...