IGNORED

Article: Audio Fun and New Possibilities With Raspberry Pi 5

40 minutes ago, Former Hobbit said:

Chris,

You wrote, "...this article isn't for everyone." I must be everyone, or perhaps I am just suffering from headless operation. In any case, It sure feels like my convolver is hanging loose from my Pipewire. Tonight I will make an offering to the god, Anubis, who resideth in the great UPnP of northern Michigan, that he allow me to understand everything I just read or at least allow me a taste of RaspberryPi in the process. I'm not greedy, I don't need the whole Pi, a MinimServing will do.  Until that time I'll be configuring and rendering my REM filters as I QNap on my JLazyBoy. 😉

David, the unGeek

Amazing!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, and…

HQPe is an option that could satisfy similar needs, but a different way. When I started testing, I don’t believe @Miska had an image for the Pi 5, and I still don’t think he does. 

Actually you don’t need a pi 5. A pi 4 can achieve just that. 

I do involve hqplayer desktop for running convolution but otherwise - very similar approach.

jplay iOS upnp to rpi4 running upmpdcli -> mpd -> hqp NAA input -> hqplayer desktop (runs audiolense convolution)

I even use the same rpi4 running minimserver connected a 2TB ssd for a simple Dlna.

i have also tried using the jriver as upnp renderer and media server in a rpi4 -> hqp NAA out to hqplayer desktop. I did run convolution in hqplayer desktop instead of in jriver tho

I have also tried moode audio as the upnp renderer and Dlna server, which works really well also.

The nice thing about it is that it runs headless and has a nice Wui for configuring alsa and mpd settings, mounting a hdd, enable upnp and Dlna, can all be done on your cell phone… but it is based on Bulleyes so won’t run on bookworm just yet

I got HQPe up and running on the Pi 5 easily, but now having some trouble. 

1. I can't get Tidal to work when streaming from JPLAY for iOS. 

2. The Pi 5 is really power lmited, despite being the most powerful Pi ever, and streaming DSD to it is problematic upsampling to DSD128 or even doign everything to PCM at 8x. 

3. Gapless is fine with PCM, but DSD is problematic. 

I'm sure these issues can be worked through.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The Pi 5 is really power lmited, despite being the most powerful Pi ever, and streaming DSD to it is problematic upsampling to DSD128 or even doign everything to PCM at 8x.

Miska mentioned that after overclocking Pi5 is capable of PCM to DSD256 with ultra light EC modulator which was developed just for Pi5.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37775-best-cpu-for-hqplayer/?do=findComment&comment=1266819

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30983-hqplayer-linux-desktop-and-hqplayer-embedded/?do=findComment&comment=1271041
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37775-best-cpu-for-hqplayer/?do=findComment&comment=1270457

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

With overclocking, basic upsampling with default filters and ASDM7EC-ul works up to DSD256. (with nblocks set to something like 1, 2 or 4, multicore=1)

With convolution, it is better to stick either with PCM output, or non-EC modulators. I didn't do much testing with computing limits this way, so I don't have exact figures.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

just bought The Galactic case for Raspberry Pi 5 (so nice) (thanks for the tips)

I use my RPI for 4 month with Gentooplayer as Diretta Host (with Upmpdcli / mpd)

Sound so good.

From RPI4 I used before there where a rise of SQ, seems better ethernet interface.

Qobuz Studio -> Audirvana Studio Linux on RPI5 Gentoo Player v8.60 (kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-CLTO-TEST+ , Shanti Alim, tweak kernel) -> Holo Red GP Mpd/Upmpdcli (same kernel) -Silver I2S> Holo Spring 2 kte -Silver XLR> BC Accoustique 362 D -> Quellis 1 Optima.