IGNORED

Article: It Is The Best of Times . . . Hands Down

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

Lets can the Debuts, I have them, snore….

From what I read the Triangle Borea BR03 speakers get a lot of love from reputable reviewers, run $349

I'll take your first-hand experience over my assumption.

Joel

7 hours ago, firedog said:

Yes. In my first system when I was 17, I started with headphones and no speakers, as I couldn't afford decent ones together with the amp and turntable. I then got one speaker and listened in mono, headphones for stereo. I bought the second speaker after a few months to complete the system. I got the most audiophile gear I could afford at the time. Then multiple upgrades over the years. Money wasn't what kept me from being an audiophile.

I know lots of young people - kids of friends. None see the need to spend serious amounts of money on sound equipment. Some of them appreciate my system, but they listen over headphones and BT speakers. It's more lifestyle and convenience for them.

They don't like music less than me, they just don't "sit and listen" in front of a system.

Spending big bucks on listening equipment isn't an idea they subscribe to. BTW, almost none of  their parents still have/use a good system, even if they once had one. They've also gone for convenience space saving, etc. The system sits idle - if it is still there. Many aren't even willing to pay $10 a month for streaming. They think free Spotify and YT are good enough. Why pay for music if it's free? Very few listen in anything other than mp3. 

A few of the youngsters have invested in good headphones. Possibly in 15-20 years if they are settled and with a bigger living space, they will buy components  - probably as part of a movie-TV  playback system.

This is my contention.

I only wish price were more of the issue.

There is quality audio equipment at almost every price point.

I confess I have no hard statistics but I read far more about many in the younger generation wanting to buy a more expensive graphics card or better monitor for their gaming PC than I do those trying to get enough money together to buy a decent integrated amp.

In short, for our hobby to compete on their list of priorities, it first must appear on their list of priorities.

Sadly, in far too many cases, I don't think it does.

Joel