IGNORED

Article: It Is The Best of Times . . . Hands Down

10 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I respect your opinion, but if you don't state why it is impossible to agree or disagree.

"I don't stream" makes as much sense to me as "video does not belong in my listening room."

If your goal is to support the artists, then the idea that someone avoids streaming when it would afford them access to music they would never otherwise experience makes no sense to me because you are then free to pay for downloads or physical media. Streaming and buying are not mutually exclusive. 

The idea that someone loves to go see live shows but refuses to recreate that experience in their home makes no sense to me either. Audio and video are symbiotic, so again, not mutually exclusive. Example ....  I would probably never listen to an AC/DC album, but watching them perform live is mesmerizing. The energy they bring to a live performance is impossible to experience just listening to them.

I know, off topic..... I'm done

I support bandcamp because artists get more from it. Labels like streaming because they get more money than the artists do.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

47 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

According to an artist I have talked to about this, she gets paid the most per song from TIDAL, and as far as I know isn't even on Bandcamp but sells her own merch on her website, where I have bought many items. If she felt she would make more on bandcamp, she would be there.

Also, by only using bandcamp, you're intentionally limiting your music choices and ability to discover more artists. For a pittance, streaming from Qobuz or TIDAL,. or Apple Music, etc... opens you up to millions of albums that just aren't on bandcamp.

I have 6 TB of music - I could listen non-stop for 2 years and would not even repeat an LP. I have plenty.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

25 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I guess thats fine if you never want to hear anything new.

I don't need a streaming service to point me at new music. I find plenty.

Why do people assume that I don't listen to new music? That is a moronic statement if you look at my posts, you will see that I post about new music A LOT without a streaming service. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

21 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Afaik Dave is on of the avid concert go-ers, too. Which may count more for the artist, than a "free" Spotify or Amazon tier.

I feel live music is important to see and to support artists. I am lucky to be living in an area where there are plenty of small venues, that artists like to go to and experiment. I have seen in concert: Aimee Cyrille, Jose James, John Pizzarelli, Jane Monheit, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Ferry, and could go on. 

I also tend to go to Music school recitals - Northwestern University has a great music program and concerts all the time. 

I have also lived in various 'musical deserts' like Western Iowa (no concert venues closer than 2 hours away). So, I learned to appreciate seeing live music when it is so easy to go to.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

16 minutes ago, bobfa said:

It is the best of times!  I hope more artists can see their way through eliminating middlemen in their distribution chain.  The tech is there to self-publish.  I know that touring seems to be the way to connect with fans, but I worry that it also requires a lot of spare change.  We all have to learn how to market our wares directly.  We must learn how to leverage the giants to focus on our work.  How can we "use" Facebook, etc., in our own best interest?    

What can artists do?  Publish a lyric snippet on Facebook, Learn marketing, and build your website (ignore the SEO trap). I do not know what exactly will work.  I am still figuring that out for my businesses.

How about an artist's corner at an audio show? Remember that the digital world is GLOBAL! Link to other people's music and sites.

RJF

I totally agree with you.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

8 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I don’t miss having to ask a clerk to play a CD/LP or calling in a request to a radio station in order to hear something not listened to before. While I don’t believe one can get a good system for $1k or less there are good compromises now in that range. And digital tech is maturing to where DAC’s are much better. Class D amps have made it possible to drive well even the most inefficient speaker

Older audiophiles wonder why more younger people are not into audio - the bolded statement is one of the turn offs for them.

Back on topic.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

17 minutes ago, joelha said:

This is my contention.

I only wish price were more of the issue.

There is quality audio equipment at almost every price point.

I confess I have no hard statistics but I read far more about many in the younger generation wanting to buy a more expensive graphics card or better monitor for their gaming PC than I do those trying to get enough money together to buy a decent integrated amp.

In short, for our hobby to compete on their list of priorities, it first must appear on their list of priorities.

Sadly, in far too many cases, I don't think it does.

Joel

There is a difference between a 2K graphics card and a 150K set of speakers. The young people have different priorities. Totally agree.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590