IGNORED

Article: It Is The Best of Times . . . Hands Down

Hi @joelha, I absolutely love this article. If people read only one paragraph, they must read the final one. It really hits the nail on the head, at least for me. Some of the stuff that's possible today, wasn't even a dream of mine many years ago. I remember thinking, what if Apple sold lossless audio via iTunes? That would be the most amazing thing ever. I'd never have to leave the iTunes app or my house for that matter. Now, that seems laughable. We have high resolution streaming everywhere, all the time, different versions available, different mixes available, it's really endless. 

When I think about my audiophile wish list, it has some really cool items, but none of them are moonshots. They are all doable becuase of some of the things you mentioned. 

Thanks for the article. It's great to take stock in how far things have come and the enviable position we as audiophiles are in today. I'd say that even the most fantatical objectivists and subjectivists can agree upon the items you mentioned. That's saying something!

Nice way to start the week Joel.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Can’t agree more about the things cited here. There are so many choices of high quality products at so many price points. Getting the word out to the masses is an issue as when the youngins are exposed to good audio, they understand it. While video is a sore point with some here, cough cough, the quality of video production in your home today was even unimaginable 15 years ago for a fraction of what used to be considered high end. The best of times indeed. As for conversations during audio demos at shows, the irony is amazing that people who profess to be audiophiles can’t shut up to actually hear the music. Even worse are the constant chatters at jazz clubs and movie theaters. We are not there to listen to you folks. End rant. Thanks for the article.

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

I disagree that streaming is a good deal, but I don't stream. Just me.

I respect your opinion, but if you don't state why it is impossible to agree or disagree.

"I don't stream" makes as much sense to me as "video does not belong in my listening room."

If your goal is to support the artists, then the idea that someone avoids streaming when it would afford them access to music they would never otherwise experience makes no sense to me because you are then free to pay for downloads or physical media. Streaming and buying are not mutually exclusive. 

The idea that someone loves to go see live shows but refuses to recreate that experience in their home makes no sense to me either. Audio and video are symbiotic, so again, not mutually exclusive. Example ....  I would probably never listen to an AC/DC album, but watching them perform live is mesmerizing. The energy they bring to a live performance is impossible to experience just listening to them.

I know, off topic..... I'm done

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

10 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I respect your opinion, but if you don't state why it is impossible to agree or disagree.

"I don't stream" makes as much sense to me as "video does not belong in my listening room."

If your goal is to support the artists, then the idea that someone avoids streaming when it would afford them access to music they would never otherwise experience makes no sense to me because you are then free to pay for downloads or physical media. Streaming and buying are not mutually exclusive. 

The idea that someone loves to go see live shows but refuses to recreate that experience in their home makes no sense to me either. Audio and video are symbiotic, so again, not mutually exclusive. Example ....  I would probably never listen to an AC/DC album, but watching them perform live is mesmerizing. The energy they bring to a live performance is impossible to experience just listening to them.

I know, off topic..... I'm done

I support bandcamp because artists get more from it. Labels like streaming because they get more money than the artists do.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

35 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I support bandcamp because artists get more from it. Labels like streaming because they get more money than the artists do.

fair enough, but put yourself in an artists' shoes

As an artist I get about a penny whenever somebody plays my song on Tidal. However,  I also get exposure to someone that may never have heard of me that may come to my live show or buy something from me. In that sense it is much better than the days I had to get a label behind me to promote me and press my discs and get them into stores and pay disc jockeys to get me airplay. The labels have always had the upper hand and perhaps always will so streaming is just another version of that.

If nobody streams me then nobody will ever hear about me. So as an artist at least I get out there and have a chance, and in today's environment it is one of the few chances I have.

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

According to an artist I have talked to about this, she gets paid the most per song from TIDAL, and as far as I know isn't even on Bandcamp but sells her own merch on her website, where I have bought many items. If she felt she would make more on bandcamp, she would be there.

Also, by only using bandcamp, you're intentionally limiting your music choices and ability to discover more artists. For a pittance, streaming from Qobuz or TIDAL,. or Apple Music, etc... opens you up to millions of albums that just aren't on bandcamp.

No electron left behind.

47 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

According to an artist I have talked to about this, she gets paid the most per song from TIDAL, and as far as I know isn't even on Bandcamp but sells her own merch on her website, where I have bought many items. If she felt she would make more on bandcamp, she would be there.

Also, by only using bandcamp, you're intentionally limiting your music choices and ability to discover more artists. For a pittance, streaming from Qobuz or TIDAL,. or Apple Music, etc... opens you up to millions of albums that just aren't on bandcamp.

I have 6 TB of music - I could listen non-stop for 2 years and would not even repeat an LP. I have plenty.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

It depends - TIDAL is NOT ALWAYS the highest. It varies. It depends on Country and tier. On tidal an artist needs to have 80,000 streams in order to get 1000 USD. Avg right now for Tidal is 0.00715 per stream, less than a penny per stream.

How Much Does Tidal Pay Musicians? | Xposure Music

So you're going to argue with the woman who actually puts music on TIDAL and makes music for a living?

No electron left behind.

25 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I guess thats fine if you never want to hear anything new.

I don't need a streaming service to point me at new music. I find plenty.

Why do people assume that I don't listen to new music? That is a moronic statement if you look at my posts, you will see that I post about new music A LOT without a streaming service. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

15 hours ago, botrytis said:

Afaik Dave is on of the avid concert go-ers, too. Which may count more for the artist, than a "free" Spotify or Amazon tier.

21 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Afaik Dave is on of the avid concert go-ers, too. Which may count more for the artist, than a "free" Spotify or Amazon tier.

I feel live music is important to see and to support artists. I am lucky to be living in an area where there are plenty of small venues, that artists like to go to and experiment. I have seen in concert: Aimee Cyrille, Jose James, John Pizzarelli, Jane Monheit, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Ferry, and could go on. 

I also tend to go to Music school recitals - Northwestern University has a great music program and concerts all the time. 

I have also lived in various 'musical deserts' like Western Iowa (no concert venues closer than 2 hours away). So, I learned to appreciate seeing live music when it is so easy to go to.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

It is the best of times!  I hope more artists can see their way through eliminating middlemen in their distribution chain.  The tech is there to self-publish.  I know that touring seems to be the way to connect with fans, but I worry that it also requires a lot of spare change.  We all have to learn how to market our wares directly.  We must learn how to leverage the giants to focus on our work.  How can we "use" Facebook, etc., in our own best interest?    

What can artists do?  Publish a lyric snippet on Facebook, Learn marketing, and build your website (ignore the SEO trap). I do not know what exactly will work.  I am still figuring that out for my businesses.

How about an artist's corner at an audio show? Remember that the digital world is GLOBAL! Link to other people's music and sites.

RJF