IGNORED

can daphile core and bridge machine can connect directly by one ethernet cable?

hello all,

i am new, and using daphile sever and client mode to listen music , both machine is now connect to netgear GS108E switch , sounds not bad

both pc using intel i350T2V2 dual port net card 

but nowaday, i want to know if i use one lan cable connect from switch to daphile server lan port 1, and daphile server lan port 2 direct connect to daphile client lan port 1

i used crossover lan cable to achieve this but not  success,

i want to know that is this topology is not available in daphile system or something i missed to config?

1 hour ago, zheng9 said:

so do u think this sg110d-08 eu switch is equal to or better than some claimed hifi switch?

What do those “claimed HiFi switches “ can do more ? …. Many of them are just rebranded “normal” switches with a (very) higher price

Cisco switches are very well done  …

Stefano

My audio system

9 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

What do those “claimed HiFi switches “ can do more ? …. Many of them are just rebranded “normal” switches with a (very) higher price

Cisco switches are very well done  …

Cisco routers also have issues - Cisco IOS XR Software Layer 2 Services Denial of Service Vulnerability

Cisco IOS XR Software SSH Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

Cisco Patches High-Severity IOS RX Vulnerabilities  - SecurityWeek PATCH NOW

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

13 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Does that specific switch have those “terrible” vulnerability? 
I wonder how many vulnerabilities do “hifi” switches have … nobody knows which firmware they run and nobody do analyze them

Stefano

My audio system

32 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I wonder how many vulnerabilities do “hifi” switches have … nobody knows which firmware they run and nobody do analyze them

If it is an older model, more than likely yes. Even newer ones.

Just saying no manufacturer is immune from bugs and flaws.

Just saying audio is not like Scientific data, which some files can be several terabytes in size for one file. Music is not that demanding. Try running a Mass spectrometer where one is measuring in the ppb range and the voltage range for that is small in comparison to music. A 30 minute GS-MS scanning analysis say from 150 AMU (Atomic Mass Units) to 600 AMU can take up 250 GB of data. So, I look at networking from that perspective. It is all controlled with Ethernet and USB.

I won't even get into LC-MS which produces even more data than that.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

hi , 

which kind of lan cable you using in your system?

7 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Many hifi switches are just in name only. If they use an ethernet chip from Intel like their 2.5 GB chips are some of the buggiest out there, based on trade journals. Even many of their MB's which use this chip have issues.

There are others that have flaws too - Realtek is one that I know of.

I try to keep my router patched and up to date because of this.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Many hifi switches are just in name only. If they use an ethernet chip from Intel like their 2.5 GB chips are some of the buggiest out there, based on trade journals. Even many of their MB's which use this chip have issues.

There are others that have flaws too - Realtek is one that I know of.

I try to keep my router patched and up to date because of this.

hi , 

keeping the router patched update can avoid switchs under attack?

23 minutes ago, zheng9 said:

hi , 

keeping the router patched update can avoid switchs under attack?

Well, the router is between the cable Modem and You. It has a firewall built in, set max security, few allowed ports open, etc. I had EARLY ETHERNET security thrust upon me during my Post Doc (you know COAX ethernet 😁) well I was in charge of several labs with PC's. That was when the first iMax's came out, and Sun stations (most were PC's - windows). I learned by hard knocks there. 

It will help. Most routers are a specialized version of linux, so depending on the brand, the router can be updated from once to several times a year. I get a new one when they announce when the patches, for my particular model, stop being published (every ~5 yrs). Like anything Medical, nothing is 100% certain but you can stack the deck a bit. (I say medical because internet security is a pain in the ass but required).

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

3 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Well, the router is between the cable Modem and You. It has a firewall built in, set max security, few allowed ports open, etc. I had EARLY ETHERNET security thrust upon me during my Post Doc (you know COAX ethernet 😁) well I was in charge of several labs with PC's. That was when the first iMax's came out, and Sun stations. I learned by hard knocks there. 

It will help. Most routers are a specialized version of linux, so depending on the brand, the router can be updated from once to several times a year. I get a new one when they announce when the patches, for my particular model, stop being published (every ~5 yrs). Like anything Medical, nothing is 100% certain but you can stack the deck a bit. (I say medical because internet security is a pain in the ass but required).

recently , i add 2 intel lan card ( i350 T2 V2) into my server and client pc machine ,that running daphile system

but i really dont know if the internet attack will demage the system by these lan cards

thx

5 minutes ago, zheng9 said:

recently , i add 2 intel lan card ( i350 T2 V2) into my server and client pc machine ,that running daphile system

but i really dont know if the internet attack will demage the system by these lan cards

thx

It lowers the chance of problems. Example - my parents. I setup a strong firewall for them but, them being not internet or computer savvy, well there are always problems 😁.

The honest answer is, you won't know until it happens. I think of it as having insurance to drive your car. Just be watchful, that is the biggest way to prevent problems.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

It lowers the chance of problems. Example - my parents. I setup a strong firewall for them but, them being not internet or computer savvy, well there are always problems 😁.

The honest answer is, you won't know until it happens. I think of it as having insurance to drive your car. Just be watchful, that is the biggest way to prevent problems.

i can see you are also using daphile as source, 

did u compare daphile with other expensiive streamer ?

what do u think about other audio system if compare with daphile?

7 minutes ago, zheng9 said:

i can see you are also using daphile as source, 

did u compare daphile with other expensiive streamer ?

what do u think about other audio system if compare with daphile?

I have used Daphile, JRiver, Volumio, and one other. Tried ROON on a trial, got rid of it - my wife hated it.

The first 3, JRiver and Daphile sound similar. Volumio was not as good. My big issue with Volumio was It only recognized, at the time 65% of the music files of 5.2 TB's of files - Daphile and JRiver no issue. I didn't use ROON long enough to form an opinion, the price turned me off.

I am currently running JRiver Client-server (3 separate clients off of one server) - same thing Roon does w/o the cutsey names.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

11 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I have used Daphile, JRiver, Volumio, and one other. Tried ROON on a trial, got rid of it - my wife hated it.

The first 3, JRiver and Daphile sound similar. Volumio was not as good. My big issue with Volumio was It only recognized, at the time 65% of the music files of 5.2 TB's of files - Daphile and JRiver no issue. I didn't use ROON long enough to form an opinion, the price turned me off.

I am currently running JRiver Client-server (3 separate clients off of one server) - same thing Roon does w/o the cutsey names.

so , you using jriver server and jriver client mode now? 

8 hours ago, zheng9 said:

so , you using jriver server and jriver client mode now? 

Yes - it is pretty easy to do.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590