IGNORED

Article: I Wanna Be Sedated, I Mean Forgotten

1 minute ago, jrobbins50 said:

Chris, you NEED a turntable. And then you can digitize the output with your convolution filters. It still will be the computer audiophile. :)

Your article reminds me that I NEED to terminate my Spotify subscription, as I never use Spotify. JCR 

Digitizing my vinyl. That's my lifeline, so I can still be the computer audiophile :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I wonder which streaming service will decide that

a) metadata storage is getting too large and must be cut to save costs

and

b) capitalize on this and use it to announce they are the first privacy focused streaming service and don't store any user data.

Never happen. Selling the data to be used for other purposes is a money maker. It makes way more than the cost of storage. 

Plus, they have to keep track, in order for rights holders to be paid. 

But, I get your point and see some angle to this approach. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

18 minutes ago, Former Hobbit said:

Oh, when it comes to streaming and privacy are the other streaming services less intrusive?

We should really think of this as an ecosystem. If there was a way to listen to analog audio over the air (FM Radio), then it wouldn’t matter. However, we listen to streaming services on devices and through other apps that are also collecting massive amounts of information about not only us, but the other products in our systems. 

What if Harman sees massive amounts of Roon subscribers with a specific product that Harman doesn’t offer? Given that the company has certified the product and knows the ins/outs of it, and has the ability to manufacture it, and contact potential customers directly, I’d be a bit worried if I was a Roon partner. Longer term, perhaps consumers should worry about one company having so much data and potential control, and that company negatively impacting “partners” / companies we like, who probably didn’t think they’d be giving away so much to a competitor down the road. 

This is much larger than Spotify knowing what music you like :~)

4 minutes ago, One and a half said:

This is all rather disturbing, so how to fight back? What software tools are out there to:

- Identify the source of 'call home'

- How to block those calls

- Prevent the calls from re-occuring

For many apps, the companies are way ahead of us. The apps won’t function without calls home. 

I use Pi-Hole and it helps but also reveals how much our devices call home. It’s insane. 

12 minutes ago, maxijazz said:

I worked in implementing HIPAA and GDPR.
They really do not provide that much protection. Most of time you can overcome limits by having official data management representative, load of paperwork covering your proceedings and proper contracts with partners. You must inform what and why you are collecting. You must remove data from system if requested. But, nobody reads fine print and 0.000001% of people request data to be removed.

Using fake identity won't help you much, too. You still can be identified by IP address, cookies, supercookies, fingerprinting. Maybe small business can't, but behemoths like Google can definitely associate data from many sources and "marketing partnership".
You can't trust what VPN provider does with info about you. Many VPN services share logs with agencies on request. Well, you really don't know, if your VPN provider is an agency's operation or isn't.
If you have to pay with credit card, then you are owned.

I wish you were wrong, but I don’t think you are. 

I use Proton for a lot of things. I’m waiting for the day I find out it too isn’t what I though.