IGNORED

Article: I Wanna Be Sedated, I Mean Forgotten

Thoroughly enjoyed this piece.  You must be feeling better now.  😊

I'm hoping that if these companies can figure me out, that they can explain me to me.  Might be useful.  Completely agree with you that this level of intrusion is unreasonable and is everywhere (tracking what we read online, what we purchase with credit cards, etc.); however, I wonder if those who pay for aggregated information find that information as useful as it might appear to be.  Or whether this is a case of folks who want to advertise simply following the latest trend -- FOMO applies to businesses as well as individuals.  

It is a bit frustrating that the horse is out of the barn.  Unless you think the barn is about to burst into flames.  

PS:  Love the smoking family doctor.  Nice touch.

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Data brokers admit they’re selling information on precise location, kids, and reproductive healthcare    https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/2024/03/data-brokers-admit-theyre-selling-information-on-precise-location-kids-and-reproductive-healthcare?utm_source=iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=b2c_pro_oth_20240318_marchweeklynewsletter_paid_v3_1_171042419850&utm_content=Data_brokers

Information newly made available under California law has shed light on data broker practices, including exactly what categories of information they trade in.

Any business that meets the definition of data broker must register with the California Privacy Protection Agency (CPPA) annually. The CPPA defines data brokers as businesses that consumers don’t directly interact with, but that buy and sell information about consumers from and to other businesses.

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

10 minutes ago, botrytis said:

California and the EU are way ahead on this. The issue is, SCOTUS has said that there is no right to privacy in the Constitution (part of the Roe V Wade overturn - this is as political as I will get). Privacy advocates have been ringing the alarm on this, but so far falling on deaf ears.

I don't want to get into politics, but from a practical and meaningful standpoint, the way to move this forward is starting with the harm done to minors.   Would think that is important to everyone.    

24 minutes ago, botrytis said:

That is why I said what I did. I totally agree. Parents should also be involved with minor's use of phones, internet, etc. 

some parents are starting to understand that, unfortunately, they cannot post pictures of their kids online.  These photos get scraped and possibly become part of facial recognition data. Or an introduction to weirdos.  

Most people just don't seem to understand that they are living in a dangerous digital world and must take measures to protect themselves and their families.  It shouldn't lead to paranoia, but it should lead to intelligent vigilance.   Hopefully, that includes the so-called Tik Tok moms who promote their kids online.