IGNORED

Article: I Wanna Be Sedated, I Mean Forgotten

I wonder which streaming service will decide that

a) metadata storage is getting too large and must be cut to save costs

and

b) capitalize on this and use it to announce they are the first privacy focused streaming service and don't store any user data.

No electron left behind.

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Never happen. Selling the data to be used for other purposes is a money maker. It makes way more than the cost of storage. 

Plus, they have to keep track, in order for rights holders to be paid. 

But, I get your point and see some angle to this approach. 

I hadn't considered that the money made would be more than the cost to store massive amounts of data.

No electron left behind.

On 3/14/2024 at 10:21 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply @SQFIRST

Yes, the venting felt good and necessary :~)

You’re totally right that it’s hard to evade the constant surveillance. I think if most people knew how much they were surveilled, they’d absolutely revolt. It’s just impossible for people to be experts on surveillance, unless they are experts on surveillance. 

I removed all tracking from this site because I think it’s terrible and I think at least some people will appreciate the freedom from it. However, if I wanted to be like other sites I could track every click, how long people looked at specific comments (not just a page full of comments, but a specific comment), what they type into the comments box but end up deleting before hitting save/publish, how they use the mouse/trackpad/screen to scroll and what specific items on each page grab their attention most, how long in milliseconds they look at each paragraph/comment, what their cursor hovers over, blah blah blah (and tie it into other databases loaded with info). You likely know all this, but most people have no clue that other sites do this and much much more. 

Anyone want to drive one of these cars, after reading this - https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html?unlocked_article_code=1.c00.5E0P.6Yhhg8zT5Vwa&smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare&sgrp=c-cb

Bringing it back to HiFi, because it’s so easy to get sidetracked on this topic, I really hope people think about the bigger picture. It’s about much more than Tidal knowing I listen to ABBA. It’s also how this expands into huge companies knowing about the smaller companies and having data that could be very detrimental to the smaller guys. In the long run we all lose if this data is used in certain ways.

As you can probably tell, I’m not a fan of letting stuff slide just because it has been going on for a while. I’d like to live in my private residence without audio companies tracking my every search, scroll, click, play, pause, skip, etc… 

I’m all for giving people the option to enable digital surveillance, in order to receive what they believe are the benefits derived from it. Or, maybe it can be looked at another way. I’m all for a company asking me to pay more if I won’t allow them to make money off my data. 

Some days I wish I lived in a one room shack in the middle of nowhere in Montana. But we know how that story ends. Maybe I just need to pretend I don’t know anything about digital surveillance and tell myself it’s really not that bad :~)

Thanks again for the comments. 

Holy Crap, I think i'll keep the no computer and barely any assist 1992 Porsche I am driving currently after reading that article.

No electron left behind.