IGNORED

Article: I Wanna Be Sedated, I Mean Forgotten

Thoroughly enjoyed this piece.  You must be feeling better now.  😊

I'm hoping that if these companies can figure me out, that they can explain me to me.  Might be useful.  Completely agree with you that this level of intrusion is unreasonable and is everywhere (tracking what we read online, what we purchase with credit cards, etc.); however, I wonder if those who pay for aggregated information find that information as useful as it might appear to be.  Or whether this is a case of folks who want to advertise simply following the latest trend -- FOMO applies to businesses as well as individuals.  

It is a bit frustrating that the horse is out of the barn.  Unless you think the barn is about to burst into flames.  

PS:  Love the smoking family doctor.  Nice touch.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 minute ago, jrobbins50 said:

Chris, you NEED a turntable. And then you can digitize the output with your convolution filters. It still will be the computer audiophile. :)

Your article reminds me that I NEED to terminate my Spotify subscription, as I never use Spotify. JCR 

Digitizing my vinyl. That's my lifeline, so I can still be the computer audiophile :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Uh, spinning discs are digital and also anonymous. You don't need vinyl for anonymity. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I wonder which streaming service will decide that

a) metadata storage is getting too large and must be cut to save costs

and

b) capitalize on this and use it to announce they are the first privacy focused streaming service and don't store any user data.

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I wonder which streaming service will decide that

a) metadata storage is getting too large and must be cut to save costs

and

b) capitalize on this and use it to announce they are the first privacy focused streaming service and don't store any user data.

Never happen. Selling the data to be used for other purposes is a money maker. It makes way more than the cost of storage. 

Plus, they have to keep track, in order for rights holders to be paid. 

But, I get your point and see some angle to this approach. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Never happen. Selling the data to be used for other purposes is a money maker. It makes way more than the cost of storage. 

Plus, they have to keep track, in order for rights holders to be paid. 

But, I get your point and see some angle to this approach. 

I hadn't considered that the money made would be more than the cost to store massive amounts of data.

No electron left behind.

I added a turntable last year, expecting one of the downsides to be the manual manipulation, maintenance, and storage of the albums themselves.  (The upsides are off topic, so leaving those aside.)  One of the pleasant surprises is that all of that "hassle" is actually quite enjoyable.  Some of this is probably nostalgia, but if you are of a certain age...

47 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I added a turntable last year, expecting one of the downsides to be the manual manipulation, maintenance, and storage of the albums themselves.  (The upsides are off topic, so leaving those aside.)  One of the pleasant surprises is that all of that "hassle" is actually quite enjoyable.  Some of this is probably nostalgia, but if you are of a certain age...

I'm totally of that age, have  a turntable and an LP collection. I NEVER (and I mean never) play them, and don't miss it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

33 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm totally of that age, have  a turntable and an LP collection. I NEVER (and I mean never) play them, and don't miss it. 

I have 2 turntables - not setup and over 3000 LPs still in boxes. They have been this way for 4 years now and don't miss them.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

42 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I have 2 turntables - not setup and over 3000 LPs still in boxes. They have been this way for 4 years now and don't miss them.

You should sell the LPs, the values are quite high right now

50 minutes ago, PeterG said:

You should sell the LPs, the values are quite high right now

Much of it is not worth selling. I used to buy record collections at garage sales. I have some not-so-great stuff and some pretty rare stuff.

An Iggy Pop - bootleg live LP - Suck on This? - on Ruthless Rhymes records - lol.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Chris,

I've never really considered the issue of privacy to be a factor in my streaming listening. Though I have to admit I have wondered whether I might at some time be banned from Spotify for the hundreds of hours I have streamed the Enya Radio station while in bed. Her music is just so relaxing...zzzzz.

Oh, when it comes to streaming and privacy are the other streaming services less intrusive?

David

Love my digital and my vinyl for different reasons. I don’t see why one needs to choose one or the other. Leaving the sound differences to other forums, I love the tactile aspect of vinyl. I love the huge beautiful album art. I grew up w CDs and cassette tapes in the 80’s and still like the vinyl as much as streaming on Tidal or playing the 4TB of stored music on my Aurender. Both have their advantages. 

I will say 95% of my CDs are all in binders.After ripping them all years back I see no advantage to spinning them. I keep my SACDs and DVDA out for some odd reason - despite all being ripped. 

Ceding some privacy for the convenience of access to tons of great music seems to be a reasonable trade off w streaming media — for me at least. 

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

18 minutes ago, Former Hobbit said:

Oh, when it comes to streaming and privacy are the other streaming services less intrusive?

We should really think of this as an ecosystem. If there was a way to listen to analog audio over the air (FM Radio), then it wouldn’t matter. However, we listen to streaming services on devices and through other apps that are also collecting massive amounts of information about not only us, but the other products in our systems. 

What if Harman sees massive amounts of Roon subscribers with a specific product that Harman doesn’t offer? Given that the company has certified the product and knows the ins/outs of it, and has the ability to manufacture it, and contact potential customers directly, I’d be a bit worried if I was a Roon partner. Longer term, perhaps consumers should worry about one company having so much data and potential control, and that company negatively impacting “partners” / companies we like, who probably didn’t think they’d be giving away so much to a competitor down the road. 

This is much larger than Spotify knowing what music you like :~)

Always enjoy your articles and usually find them very informative and helpful. While I enjoyed this one  I have to say that I am not fully in line with your thoughts here. Perhaps you felt like venting and that's allowed as I cannot imagine managing a site and engaging with all as you do.

We have been in the digital age for a long while now. I just realized that my Amazon account is almost 20 years old so there is a lot of data there. Television providers were tracking viewing habits for decades so Netflix et al. are continuing what is done more easily now. Grocery shopping is the same. Vinyl maybe safe (and quite enjoyable) but there are CCTVs all around the stores that can capture habits. 

Point being that we are in the digital system all around unless one is trying to live off grid. Audiophile perspective on this just sounds like we have been behind the curve and recently starting to feel it. I am not trying to minimize the concerns you raised but rather trying to frame it among the competing avenues of personal tracking that we have been dealing with and have gotten used to.  Maybe audiophiles have a very personal, almost sacred love for their hobby and therefore a stronger indignation? Would it be  better if audiophile data was not worth tracking? :)

2023 was the beginning of AI and the usage of correlated data will only increase from here and in ways that cannot be understood as yet but certainly will be changing things.

11 hours ago, Iving said:

………Data abuse should become indictable. But that isn't happening, and won't happen, because people just don't care enough……..

people care a lot and it is happening, for example EU GDPR (Wikipedia reference):

The General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679, abbreviated GDPR) is a European Union regulation on information privacy in the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). The GDPR is an important component of EU privacy law and human rights law, in particular Article 8(1) of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union. It also governs the transfer of personal data outside the EU and EEA. The GDPR's goals are to enhance individuals' control and rights over their personal information and to simplify the regulations for international business

but yes it is slow to rollout and there is inherent inertia in trying to implement such type of legislation across such a vast target as the EU, but it is not right to say people don’t care and that it won’t happen because, slowly, it is…….

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90