IGNORED

Best DAC ever heard

that Alex. I am running my AC supply at 90 Hz (AC regenerator) I wonder what impact that might have on these values, do you know?

Anyway, this takes out some of the guesswork, and might make it worthwhile to experiment some more.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

which Esoteric DAC did you have / audition. I have the D70, which I think is terrific (in master configuration)

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"

Hi Barrows

Perhaps someone a lot smarter than I am can assist with that question ?

Yes, I had noted what you are using previously, and went green with envy.It would be great to have a very clean regenerated mains supply.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Newbie so this may be a totally ignorant question, but I'm leaning towards a CAPS 2 build and wondered if you (or anyone else) had a view on the Buffalo DAC as a stand alone DIY DAC vs dropping a Lynx 22 card into the CAPS build? I know you're running a Mac based system vs. CAPS - but am curious about potential differences, drawbacks, etc. between the two DAC approaches.

Thx

C.A.P.S. v2.0 w/ SOTM USB card and J River 17 > Modwright LS100 w DAC upgrade > Modwright KWA 100SE> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grands

In "stock" form, the Buffalo III would be an excellent DAC to use via the SPDIF output from a Lynx card. The primary reason being that the ESS 9018 chip uses an onboard, very low phase noise oscillator which reclocks all incoming SPDIF data. The SPDIF receiver of the ESS chip is really good at cleaning up less than perfect sources.

My set up is much different, as I use asynchronous USB in my DAC, with I2S connection to the DAC, and synchronous clocking. My feeling is that my approach is significantly better than using SPDIF ever could be-but, if one is going to have an SPDIF source, then the Buffalo III in stock SPDIF form is a great way to go.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I really couldn't care less about Stereophile magazine measurements, I only care about how a DAC sounds.

I listened to many dacs, including DCS Debussy and Puccini, and the Playback Desings MPD-5 with USB-X sounds better in my system, so I bought it and I am enjoying it.

Prior to the MPD-5, I had an EMM Labs DCC2 SE, which I sold. The MPD-5 takes 500hours of burn-in to get to its best.

Cable Modem w/Mojo 5 power-> Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal-> Totaldac server-> Totaldac Twelve SE-> CH Precision L1+X1-> 2x Krell FPB 750mcx-> Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers  Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Echole Omnia 2x XLR and 3x AES, Totaldac Gigafilter USB,  Other: Echole Omnia power cables, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, four dedicated 20A lines

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was wondering if some of you here had auditioned the CA dac magic plus. The reason for me bringing this up is that I had the chance this weekend to try one out. Imho, I do like the sound that it is capable of delivering. However, I am not set just yet on purchasing one before getting some input from you guys as to which way I should go. I am looking for a good dac that would be around a grand or less. If someone here that has listened to the dac magic plus and could describe the audible differences to other dacs in my price range, that sounded better, would be appreciated! I do like the way tubes sound, but I am not sure if they have good tube dacs for around a grand. Thanks!

Windows XP/7 > J River MC 20 > Wire World Platinum Starlight USB cable > Peachtree Audio Grand-Pre dac > Straight Wire Crescendo IC's > Odd Watt Audio Odd Block tube amps > custom speaker cables > Galt Audio 2.5 speakers > 15" Aura Sound subwoofer in Ported Reflex Enclosure/1000watt amp

• 4 weeks later...

I am curious to know how you listen to the Lindemann dac.

Would it be by headphones or loudspeakers?

Also, can you tell me what brand of components you are using with this dac to listen to your music.

Thanks,

John G.

Windows XP/7 > J River MC 20 > Wire World Platinum Starlight USB cable > Peachtree Audio Grand-Pre dac > Straight Wire Crescendo IC's > Odd Watt Audio Odd Block tube amps > custom speaker cables > Galt Audio 2.5 speakers > 15" Aura Sound subwoofer in Ported Reflex Enclosure/1000watt amp

John,

This is my current setup..

1. Onkyo nd-s1 for ipod 5.5g mated to lindemann via Kimber OPT-1 opticable. Ipod 5.5g has a high end wolfson chip of its own (wolfson WM8758)unlike the 6th gen and later bipods which have cirrus. But it is a low power chip since ipod was mainly meant to be inear device. nevertheless. Ipod 5th gen sounds the best among all ipods. Anyways, i bypass it through the ND-S1 which takes the digital signal from the base of the ipod and remitts it to the Lindemann which also uses wolfson WM8472 chip.

3. Marantz CD6004 mated to lindemann via Kimber AGDL cabel.

4. HP pavillion HPE windows 7 ultimate 64bit mated to the lindemann via the USB. This leaves no more inputs to play with.

5. The the Lindemann is sourcing My Marantz PM8004 beast via its output using Kimber Kimber PBJ 3.3ft. analogue cables.

6. The PM8004 inturn is hooked up to the B&W CM9 monsters via

Kimber x Kimber 8PR-30'(9.0m) Speaker Cable with Sbanana Connectors on the Amplifier side and PM33 Connectors on the Speaker side.

So all my sound is being sourced via the lindemann into Audiophile speakers with audiophile cables and wires.. so maybe that is the difference..dunno..all i can say is the the rDAC was very good too....

Having said that, the sound is still much better when I am not playing it of the computer but the ipod...

Vik

I believe that I may purchase either the Peachtree dac-it or the Peachtree Nova-pre, which features the ESS Saber dac converter.

I am leaning more towards the NovaPre, as it has a better PS, headphone amp, hybrid tube preamp, and is galvanically isolated.

I will also purchase the Logitech Touch, which has had some good reviews, and appears to be the better application for my purposes.

Thanks again for your response!

John G.

Best I've ever heard? The Berkeley Alpha USB Series 2 -- but only with the Berkeley Alpha USB converter. This ~$7k pair is SOTA (to my, admittedly flawed and limited, ears and experience). But no other DAC comes to mind that has anywhere near the bass control and definition, mid range liquidity, and grainless treble extension. It's quite remarkable.

But I've also been enthralled by the Puccini/uClock combo from dCS, I have to admit. I quite like the Debussy, but I think the Puccini is a bit more refined -- and that ability to run discs is still quite helpful, at least to me. Now, the full Scarlatti stack is another thing entirely, and also (strangely enough), it's something that I got to hear over at Jacob Heilbrunn's old place in DC very recently. It was pushing tunes to the top-shelf Ypsilon components (!!!), that were in turn pushing current into a pair of Alexandrias, accompanied by a pair of Thor's Hammer sub arrays, all from Wilson Audio. All of that gear is rather unfamiliar to me (and will undoubtedly remain so for the remainder of my life), so it's really hard to tease apart what was contributing what, exactly -- but I thought that the dCS stack bettered the stunningly good Continuum Labs Caliburn turntable that I also got the privilege of hearing over there. Jacob has some serious gear. Holy. Freakin'. Cow. Talk about total intimidation! I think it took me a month after that visit before I managed to find my teeny, tiny testicles tucked somewhere up in my ass cheeks, still hiding and begging for mercy.

Sorry, was that over the top? Apologies. But ... so was that system. And when you're talking "the best", well, gear prices do strange and unusual things to your head (and body).

Coming back down from such rarefied air, the LampizatOr is still my favorite DAC (as opposed to simply what I'm think of as "the best"), however, and the Lampi remains the only DAC I'm currently inclined to beg, borrow and steal enough cash in order to go out and buy. It's just dazzling.

I have a modified Esoteric D70, which I bought from a friend. I've compared it to the Weiss DAC202, which I thought was excellent. However, I prefer the D70. Unfortunately, the D70 has been out of production for a while.

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"

• 1 month later...

The best DAC ever heard , and therefore bought, is WaveQuest by ROCKNA : www.rockna-line.com/products-Wavequest-DA.html

It's R2R (MSB ladder DAC inside) and it has proprietary processing unit on a FPGA chip wich works internally at 1,5 Mhz sample rate.

This DAC works effortless , the sound has what we call "air" and the resolution is as it should be. Everything is there. That's why my DAC is unforgiving with the quality of the music source.

I just cannot listen some of my old tunes anymore; i became addicted to high quality recordings.

It appears that Rockna Audio is located in Romania. The only dealers (2) available are located in Romania and Italy. I would be a little concerned about warranty and such.

What would the price tag on this WaveQuest dac retail for?

Also, I would like to know what other dacs have you listened to, that you may be able to reply back with comparisons as to why you believe that this WaveQuest dac is the best you've heard.

Thanks,

John G.

Your comment about the Wavequest being the best DAC you've ever heard seems at odds with the statement that you can't listen to a lot of your old recordings now. In my experience, more real resolution does not equal bad sound on a percentage of recordings; though equipment that has an annoying distortion or frequency response anomaly (that is sometimes mistaken for higher resolution) can be annoying on many recordings.

Levinson reference 30.5/31.5 DAC and transport. That was a while back so I have no idea what a DCS system sounds like. This was like the heavens opened up. I was listening to The Wall MFSL and I've never heard it like that since. Speakers were big MBL Radialstrahler's and Levinson 33 amps. Later that year the same Levinson front end but with the Dynaudio battery powered reference preamp, amps and giant(really big) speakers. Tears for that one.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Seriously, I guess it would be my Gill Audio DAC. I haven't heard that many big money offerings, but I have heard a few, dcs for example.

I have never been blown away by any, as compared with much less expensive units. Perhaps, the noise floor in my head is screwing things up.