IGNORED

Best DAC ever heard

Hmm, looks neat but nothing really in it?

Is it true R-2R? Sabre chips are DS are they not.

I would recommend the Audio Note 2.1 Kit. Better power supply, better output board, and easy to update later to the 3.1 or 4.1.

DAC2_1Front4.jpg

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

Done some reading. The Amber DAC looks good. I asked Lukasz about the chip and it is indeed R-2R ladder type i.e. no oversampling. Basically if you want 44.1 RedBook, set that in your software and that's it. It also plays high resolution files as well. I haven't heard it, though I have read reviews on other Sabre implementations and it is a challenge (apparently) to get the chip set to be smooth in the treble. Note I have not heard this DAC, so I am assuming it has that bit designed out.

Good for the price. The box looks empty somewhat, but if it sounds good, doesn't matter.

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

Done some reading. The Amber DAC looks good. I asked Lukasz about the chip and it is indeed R-2R ladder type i.e. no oversampling. Basically if you want 44.1 RedBook, set that in your software and that's it. It also plays high resolution files as well. I haven't heard it, though I have read reviews on other Sabre implementations and it is a challenge (apparently) to get the chip set to be smooth in the treble. Note I have not heard this DAC, so I am assuming it has that bit designed out.

Good for the price. The box looks empty somewhat, but if it sounds good, doesn't matter.

DAC chip in the Amber is stated to be ESS Sabre. Would be news if this has changed.

AMBER DAC

astrostar59 I think you may have misunderstood Lukasz. As Doak says the Amber uses an ESS Sabre 9018 chip - definitely not an R2R design. It is the reason I bought this DAC i.e. to play high res files up to DSD128 /PCM 32/384. The chip is capable of playing these formats native. For all that it does well it is not the best Lampi out there. That would be the Level 7 and it's variants like the Golden Gate.

In comparison the Level 7 and Golden Gate have a completely different board design and DAC chip implementation. The boards have been designed from ground up and is uniquely a Lampizator design. DSD on the Level 7 and GG is in a different league to the best of my knowledge.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

My Lampizator DSD Only DAC is the best I've ever heard.

I was already fully on board with real-time converting all of my PCM content to DSD. When I read about Lukasz's chip-less, tube based approach to DSD conversion and the very few, but highly enthusiastic reviews, I decided to buy one to audition it. It meant that I could get a Lampizator for less $$$ and get all of DSD goodness without having to pay for PCM conversion that I'd never use anyway. I spent the savings upgrading the DAC with Volume Control (I connect it directly to my power amp), Balanced Outs and Duelund Caps.

Of course, everything matters in the system, so the Uptone Regen and the dual servers running WS2012 Core with Audiophile Optimizer and JPlay make a major contribution to the sound as well. In particular, I was impressed by the gains from separating the servers. One runs HQPlayer and does the upsampling while the the other loafs in Hibernate mode via JPlay.

The combination of all of the above is the best sounding front end I've ever heard, although since so many of the hi-end stores have closed, I haven't heard as many as I'd like.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

My Lampizator DSD Only DAC is the best I've ever heard.

I was already fully on board with real-time converting all of my PCM content to DSD. When I read about Lukasz's chip-less, tube based approach to DSD conversion and the very few, but highly enthusiastic reviews, I decided to buy one to audition it. It meant that I could get a Lampizator for less $$$ and get all of DSD goodness without having to pay for PCM conversion that I'd never use anyway. I spent the savings upgrading the DAC with Volume Control (I connect it directly to my power amp), Balanced Outs and Duelund Caps.

Of course, everything matters in the system, so the Uptone Regen and the dual servers running WS2012 Core with Audiophile Optimizer and JPlay make a major contribution to the sound as well. In particular, I was impressed by the gains from separating the servers. One runs HQPlayer and does the upsampling while the the other loafs in Hibernate mode via JPlay.

The combination of all of the above is the best sounding front end I've ever heard, although since so many of the hi-end stores have closed, I haven't heard as many as I'd like.

k6davis - when did you get your DAC? Did it come with 256 or did you upgrade?

I'm trying to figure out the logistics for the upgrade, how long will I be without my DAC if I get the 256 upgrade?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

k6davis - when did you get your DAC? Did it come with 256 or did you upgrade?

I'm trying to figure out the logistics for the upgrade, how long will I be without my DAC if I get the 256 upgrade?

I've had it for almost 2 years now. I upgraded to DSD256. As for how long it takes, that's entirely a matter of logistics. I arranged to have my upgrade done by Lukasz while he was in the U.S. for an audio show. The turn around was about a week - mostly for ground shipping both ways.

The Lampizator team will coordinate with you so that you can minimize your downtime.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I've had it for almost 2 years now. I upgraded to DSD256. As for how long it takes, that's entirely a matter of logistics. I arranged to have my upgrade done by Lukasz while he was in the U.S. for an audio show. The turn around was about a week - mostly for ground shipping both ways.

The Lampizator team will coordinate with you so that you can minimize your downtime.

Yea that pretty much what Fred said. Guess I just need to set it up and see what they come up with.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TotalDAC reference best I ever heard. Better than Esoteric, DCS, an MSB.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

I once heard TDac at a show for 90 mins with my RBCD demo tracks and thought Lampi Level 7 was slightly better. I know at least one other thinks so, but lots of this is personal taste when you play in the high performance area.

I briefly heard the Pavane and heard the Trinity for a good time. Trinity is very good, but PCM only.

Radio Shack Premium R2R Dac is the best I've heard .

Too bad they're gone, will drive the price way up.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It looks like capacity to produce the Yggy has caught up with demand. I ordered it last Wednesday and it shipped the next day. I'm at hour 38 and the thing is certainly an enigma. Patience.

----------------------

Dan

iMac

Schitt Yggy

Tortuga LDR3.V2

Bob Latino ST-120

GoldenEar Triton One