IGNORED

Article: I Bet You’ve Never Heard This … #1

I have a recommendation in a similar vein:

Chico Freeman, "Spirit Sensitive".

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

"the version I listen to most often is the 24 bit / 352.8 kHz DXD version transferred from 15 ips analog tape by the team at High Definition Tape Transfers."

Silly numbers game waste of bandwidth, it adds nothing audible over what could be offered at a much lower data rate.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

4 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

"the version I listen to most often is the 24 bit / 352.8 kHz DXD version transferred from 15 ips analog tape by the team at High Definition Tape Transfers."

Silly numbers game waste of bandwidth, it adds nothing audible over what could be offered at a much lower data rate.

No worries, HDTT has you covered. You can buy a 16/44.1 version. 

P.S. Given that nearly all DACs upsample internally, you can change their objective performance by feeding them high sample rates. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

If the 24/96 sample is any indication, it looks like what is on those tapes passed through 44.1k sampling rate at some point before ending on the tape. At least to me.

(Not that I have anything against 44.1k sampling rate)

Ahmad_Jamal_Alhambra_Sample.thumb.png.136f1638fba3d827579badf9f3df41d9.png

23 hours ago, danadam said:

If the 24/96 sample is any indication, it looks like what is on those tapes passed through 44.1k sampling rate at some point before ending on the tape. At least to me.

(Not that I have anything against 44.1k sampling rate)

does this mean that the higher sample rate offerings don’t offer any added musical information ? (& that there is no point more than the version with CD sample rate ?)

If so, why/ how are they offering the DSD versions on their website ?

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

On 3/8/2024 at 2:35 AM, Sal1950 said:

First of all thanks to Chris for this recommendation.  It is an excellent recording that I had not heard before.  I have listened to both the Qobuz version and the HDTT DSD256 version and on my system and with my ears I definitely prefer the HDTT version.    You are blessed to not be burdened with such nuances such as sample rates and just enjoy the music. 

On 3/8/2024 at 3:35 AM, Sal1950 said:

Even sillier than numbers is worrying about the numbers and distracting from the important part of the conversation.  So back to what's meaningful...

Thanks, Chris!  I love Ahmad, and just bought this on your recommendation.  

For those who find certain records tough to acquire, as Chris notes this might be, I recommend Discogs, an excellent online marketplace for both digital and vinyl.  Virtually anything is available.  For those who purchase used vinyl--both the media condition and the seller rating (ie the trustworthiness of the person who rated the media condition) are very important.  CDs are almost always fine, as you'd expect.  On this particular LP, it is readily available brand new for <$40 shipped to the US.  https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=190545&ev=mb

10 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Even sillier than numbers is worrying about the numbers and distracting from the important part of the conversation.  So back to what's meaningful...

Thanks, Chris!  I love Ahmad, and just bought this on your recommendation.  

For those who find certain records tough to acquire, as Chris notes this might be, I recommend Discogs, an excellent online marketplace for both digital and vinyl.  Virtually anything is available.  For those who purchase used vinyl--both the media condition and the seller rating (ie the trustworthiness of the person who rated the media condition) are very important.  CDs are almost always fine, as you'd expect.  On this particular LP, it is readily available brand new for <$40 shipped to the US.  https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=190545&ev=mb

You hit the nail on the head @PeterG  

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris,

I just joined, particularly to say that the Ahmad Jamal album is fantastic, even streamed from the much-maligned Spotify. I am not a rabid jazz fan but I am now an Ahmad Jamal fan.

My meager system is a far cry from many who visit this site but I do enjoy the content you provide. 

BTW, I misspelled my user name and don't see a way to correct it. Any suggestion?

David

20 minutes ago, Former Hobbbit said:

Hi Chris,

I just joined, particularly to say that the Ahmad Jamal album is fantastic, even streamed from the much-maligned Spotify. I am not a rabid jazz fan but I am now an Ahmad Jamal fan.

My meager system is a far cry from many who visit this site but I do enjoy the content you provide. 

BTW, I misspelled my user name and don't see a way to correct it. Any suggestion?

David

Hi David, happy to hear it! You can look forward to many more albums in this series. 

P.S. Your username has been corrected. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the joys of a well recorded live session!

I accidentally stumbled over my first when I interned in the workshop of the local HiFi store "AudioScan" back in 8th grade.
My mentor (also Peter) played music all day, and this recording easily became my favourite, but I never found it in a record store.

Many years later, during my masters thesis, I suddenly saw the album in a window.
It was the exact same HiFi store, now moved to a different location in town, so I went in to ask if I could buy the album.
They looked quite funny at me, as the album was part of the window display and they only sold eqipment.

I ended up telling my story from 8th grade, and they were so moved (or stunned) that they agreed to part with their window decoration album.
I later learned that "Jazz at the Pawnshop" was a very well know and recognised 'audiophile' live recording. 😄

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”