IGNORED

Article: Lumin L2 Music Library & Network Switch Review

12 minutes ago, Richard D. George said:

You might be thinking of the ACS10, not the ACS100.  The ACS100 works like a dedicated NAS.  Not streaming.  The ACS100 is around $3,500 without SSD’s.

I believe you’re correct.  Importantly, the Aurender doesn’t offer fiber networking, which, at least for me would be important as that’s the way I connect to my Lumin X1.  I think that if you’re already in the Lumin ecosystem, the L2 is your ticket for quite precise needs.

36 minutes ago, Flashman said:

I believe you’re correct.  Importantly, the Aurender doesn’t offer fiber networking, which, at least for me would be important as that’s the way I connect to my Lumin X1.  I think that if you’re already in the Lumin ecosystem, the L2 is your ticket for quite precise needs.

Understood. Sounds like a great solution for your needs.

One interesting feature of the ACS100 is that it supports batch ripping of CD’s using an Acronova Nimbe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2024 at 11:42 PM, ernando said:

Nice review, thanks. I own a Lumin X1 and use both Roon and the bespoke Lumin app, preferring Roon when I wish to use its music discovery feature and casual listening and the Lumin app when I want the absolute best SQ (there is a difference). 

Yes, this is exactly what how I use Roon and the Lumin app, as well. In my estimation, if I were to put the Lumin app's SQ at "100", I'd put Roon at say, 80-85, depending on the quality of the mastering of the recording. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

14 hours ago, Puma Cat said:

Yes, this is exactly what how I use Roon and the Lumin app, as well. In my estimation, if I were to put the Lumin app's SQ at "100", I'd put Roon at say, 80-85, depending on the quality of the mastering of the recording. 

Ditto for me. It’s too bad Roon can’t improve their sound quality. I talked to them at an audio show once and they told me sound quality wasn’t a priority. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

1 hour ago, Ultrarunner said:

Ditto for me. It’s too bad Roon can’t improve their sound quality. I talked to them at an audio show once and they told me sound quality wasn’t a priority. 

No, my hypothesis is the size of the installed base is their priority, they want as many subscribers as possible, much like Apple Music or Spotify, etc.  Their release of "mobile functionality" is indicative of that, as well. While say, 10% of their subscribers are in the "high-end" customer segment, 90% are not. But that 90% provides the majority of their revenue. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.