IGNORED

XLD: Preferences

Sakahara

I'm new to XLD and need insight with setting the preferences for ripping to AIFF.

Ideally I want to rip straight to a dedicated music library external drive, but I noticed XLD did not create folders for Artists and Album as opposed to when it's being ripped to iTunes Music folder. Is there a way to have XLD create these folders or is it manual only? It would be less work since I no longer want/need the music on my iMac (using external drive with music server now). Also, why does iTunes open when using XLD? I want to create bit-perfect rips with XLD (no association with iTunes during import) so I don't have to do this again anytime soon.

Also, can you recommend a external FW/USB optical DVD/CD drive to avoid wear-n-tear on the internal DVD drive?

I've attached screen shots of XLD Pref windows.

Thanks.

Bryston BDP-1, Stereolabs XV Ultra Digital BNC IC, Lampizator L3/Gen3 DAC, solidcoreaudio Silver IC, Thoress F2A11 Integrated, solidcoreaudio Silver Foil Flat Speaker Cables, Thoress FR20CD mkIII Speakers, Entreq Konstantin Power Cords (Furutech FI-25(G) connectors), RSA Haley PC. Tweaks: HiFi Tuning SilverStar Fuses, NOS \'45 Tung-Sol JAN-CTL-12SN7GT Black Round Plates/Bottle (Thoress F2A11), NOS 6N6P Gold Grid (Lampizator). BDP-1 Interface: MPoD - iPad 2/iPhone (Network/Airport Express). Music Formats: AIFF (XLD Extracted Redbook CD - iMac OS X 10.6.7); also FLAC 24/96> downloads.

Hi Sakahara,

XLD can be set up to rip to a folder structure of your choice.

The image below shows a setup for an external drive volume called Music01, such that the created folder and file heirarchy will be AlbumArtist/AlbumTitle/TrackNumber TrackTitle.

The program can use the tag values of each track to create folder and file names automatically.

For example, the setup in the image will result in the following style:

Miles Davis/Kind of Blue/01 So What

Miles Davis/Kind of Blue/02 Freddie Freeloader

Miles Davis/Kind of Blue/03 Blue In Green

etc.

I've never had iTunes being opened by XLD, so can't help there, sorry.

Please clarify, is your folder structure creating a separate folder for each Track No./Title under Album Artist and Album? Isn't that redundant? I just want Album Artist/Album/Tracks 01, 02,... exactly like iTunes. What's the difference between Artist and Album Artist anyways?

What settings should I use with Preferences>CD Rip; Ripper Mode(XLD Secure Ripper...); Use C2 error pointers;..etc?

How did you attach the image? I tried w/ three like yours (File Attachments>Choose File>Attach>Save) but only my text posted.

Bryston BDP-1, Stereolabs XV Ultra Digital BNC IC, Lampizator L3/Gen3 DAC, solidcoreaudio Silver IC, Thoress F2A11 Integrated, solidcoreaudio Silver Foil Flat Speaker Cables, Thoress FR20CD mkIII Speakers, Entreq Konstantin Power Cords (Furutech FI-25(G) connectors), RSA Haley PC. Tweaks: HiFi Tuning SilverStar Fuses, NOS \'45 Tung-Sol JAN-CTL-12SN7GT Black Round Plates/Bottle (Thoress F2A11), NOS 6N6P Gold Grid (Lampizator). BDP-1 Interface: MPoD - iPad 2/iPhone (Network/Airport Express). Music Formats: AIFF (XLD Extracted Redbook CD - iMac OS X 10.6.7); also FLAC 24/96> downloads.

I'm used to iTunes handling everything so I'm a bit confused with using XLD. I don't want or need to use iTunes anymore but I still want the music library to be organized in the same manner and since XLD only rips/converts do I need to add "Genre", "Year",.. and other folder structures so that MPoD, when reading from the drive connected to my music server, can organize and create playlists,..etc or is that from the metadata?

Also, what setting do I use in the upper-left drop down menu disc info window; "Include pre-gap for all tracks",....etc?

For example, the setup in the image will result in the following style:

Miles Davis/Kind of Blue/01 So What

Miles Davis/Kind of Blue/02 Freddie Freeloader

Miles Davis/Kind of Blue/03 Blue In Green

Never mind... I just tried it and it works; Album Artist/Album/01 Track Name, 02 Track Name,...etc. The way you showed the folder structure was misleading. I'm still trying to figure out he other Preference settings though.

PS: Itunes hasn't opened again. Not sure what was causing that (importing to iTunes Music folder...)? System Prefs for Opening Music CD was not set to iTunes, although this was happening after the CD was already mounted and iTunes would open after clicking Extract in XLD.

"What's the difference between Artist and Album Artist anyways?"

An album can be released by an artist, where that artist performs all tracks and guest artists accompany on some tracks.

For example, say an album called TheAlbum by artist TheBand has five tracks, Track1…Track5, where two tracks feature Guest1 and Guest2.

All tracks have the same Album Artist - TheBand.

Each track has its own Artist - TheBand, TheBand, TheBand with Guest1, TheBand, TheBand with Guest2.

The first image below shows the result of specifying "%a/%T/%n %t".

The second image shows the result of specifying "%A/%T/%n %t".

"How did you attach the image? I tried w/ three like yours (File Attachments>Choose File>Attach>Save) but only my text posted."

That's what I do. Recently, I've had a problem at this site with a Safari extension preventing upload of the image after clicking. So now I turn off all extensions when posting with images. Give that a try.

"... do I need to add "Genre", "Year",.. and other folder structures so that MPoD, when reading from the drive connected to my music server, can organize and create playlists,..etc or is that from the metadata?"

I'm not familiar with MPoD. I'm sure someone else here must use it - try creating a new topic for MPoD help - or perhaps there's an MPoD forum.

Regarding your other questions about XLD preferences and usage, the page at the following link has further links to XLD info/guides. Check that first and experiment with the program settings. If you still have questions, I'll see what I can do to help, but I don't have the most recent version of XLD.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=78837

I am not sure if this will help...

In the iTunes folder where it organizes music, if you let iTunes "keep the media folder organized" in preferences, there should be a folder called "Automatically Add to iTunes."

Once XLD rips a CD, have it put the AIFFs in this folder. iTunes, based on the track data, should organize your files into albums, and consequently, appropriate folders.

Fan of Baroque Music[br]My Gear

I wanted to say thanks for the help. I've been busy ripping (feel like a CD changer) and didn't want to seem ungrateful. I figured out most of the settings with common sense. Just took time being unfamiliar. iTunes spoiled me. I was eager/impatient to start ripping and didn't want to waste any more time. I think it's going well.

Thought I'd piggyback my question on this thread.

I've started using XLD again. I can't remember If this was happening before but when I try to edit flac files I only see a screen that labels the flac files to be burned one track at a time. I would like to know if there's a screen that labels things like album name and artist that are common to the whole album so they don't need to be entered separately for each track. If so how do I get that screen?

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner

If you open a cue sheet or CD, a tracklist window opens where you can select multiple tracks then edit their common metadata.

However, if you open a bunch of separate audio files, the metadata is presented for one file at a time. To set a tag's value common to all the files, enter the text then right-click in the text-box for a context menu as in the image below.

I don't think I would have figured that out for a long time.

New Mini-8gig / Cambridge Audio DAC / Linn Kolektor pre amp / 2 active Linn LK140 amps / Nordquist Cables / Linn Ninka (aktiv) / APV H15 Line Conditioner